PDA

View Full Version : Kettlebells

Pathfinder Ops
01-14-10, 17:40
Anybody into them?

My wife got me a set for Christmas (hmm.... wonder what she's tryin to say, LOL) and I kinda like the whole theory behind them.

The problem is coming up with a good "starter" routine for indoors. Since I live in upstate NY and it's cold as hell outdoors where I would have more room to work these things.

Any thoughts?

wilco423
01-14-10, 18:16
Let me preface this by saying I am not an RKC or anything else, so take it with a grain of salt ;).

I've been using kettlebells on and off for a couple years now. I can say they are a great tool and very versatile. One advantage is they require a very little space. Depending on your height as well as that of your ceiling, you can do a lot with them.

As to any specific things to do with them: as a friend of mine says, "the swing is king." If you do nothing else, swings will up your strength, stamina and coordination. Swings primarily work the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, back) plus abs, and are great cardio if you don't mind them being a little monotonous.

The second exercise I would recommend is the get-up, sometimes called the turkish get-up. It's fantastic for shoulders, abs and pretty much every other muscle in your body. Once you get good at these two, there are tons of other exercises you can do.

There are some good videos on youtube about how to perform both of these exercises - but stay away from stuff that looks like its in a nice, clean gym or uses models - look for ugly guys in sweats :). I'd also recommend Pavel Tsasouline's (sp?) book Enter the Kettlebell.

A starter routine I'd try would be to (after a warm up) do a total of up to 100 swings, in whatever number of sets you need to do to reach 100. A general rule is once you can do 100 swings continuously (in 1 set) you're ready for the next weight up. You might try starting out doing that 2 days per week. On alternate days, do get-ups - try 3 sets of 2-3 per side (one rep (one each side) will take about 1 minute). Eventually you can work up to doing 20 min of continuous get-ups (a great cardio workout, too). Start slow and work your way up in weight and numbers on both exercises.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun with your new present!

Dan

Pathfinder Ops
01-18-10, 18:34
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm already rocking the swings and a couple other snatches. They are good starts.

I was looking at the Turkish get ups you refer to. DUDE :eek: I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to do those with out dropping it on my freakin head. lol

wilco423
01-18-10, 20:56
Happy to help out. Get-ups are great once you get used to them. 20 min of GUs with a 53lb kb, alternating sides each rep, is a fantastic (read: ass kicker) workout.

Dan

VAKafir
01-18-10, 21:22
check out crossfit.com. A lot of crossfit's workouts involve KB. The site also has videos on proper form - which is critical if you want to maximize gains and minimize chance of injury. I have been a "crossfitter" for about 2 years - no other affiliation.

Dirk Williams
01-19-10, 13:47
I got a set of kettle weights for Xmas aswell. Could you describe " Get ups" and Kettle swings, not sure really what each is. Also what is minimum weight for swings?.

My set goes from like five pounds, to twenty five pounds, seems kinda light OR am I wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Dirk

01-19-10, 16:30
Path- Give us an update from time to time. I've been interested in them, but haven't used them. I could see them as a useful addition to a routine.

Pathfinder Ops
01-19-10, 19:52
Path- Give us an update from time to time. I've been interested in them, but haven't used them. I could see them as a useful addition to a routine.

Absolutely......

I'll also post whatever stuff I find that I think is worthy.

Lobo103
01-19-10, 20:15
I've been using Kettlebells for about a year now and I really like them. Initially mastering the exercises was a little tricky. I watched a lot of video on youtube and also ordered Pavel's Enter the Kettlebell.

One of the best (and cheapest) resources I've found is;

www.mbodystrength.com

They have a ton of videos demonstrating all of the basic kettlebell movements as well as more advanced stuff. There is also a section where you can download their routines in PDF format for free....including a beginners workout. Also some good stuff regarding sandbags, nutrition etc.

Happy hunting.

Impact
01-19-10, 20:37
I would say go to a gym and learn the proper motion. KB is a great tool if done properly. If you don't do it well, you gonna mess up your back.

I recommend Crossfit as well.

vaglocker
01-20-10, 07:37
I would recommend Pavel Tsatsouline's "Enter the Kettlebell" video and book

powerbypavel.com

Chameleox
01-20-10, 11:33
Prior to becoming a sheepdog, I was a personal trainer for 5 years. I had a large client base, taught classes, and had certifications. Then, while still training, I got introduced to Crossfit, and their methodology for designing workouts. I immediately saw a benefit to crossfit for "working" fitness types.
Then about 6 years ago I left my city and became a cop elsewhere. I kept crossfitting(?), and saw a definite advantage over other more traditional workout programs.
I've been using K-bells for almost 2 years now. Combined with crossfit type workouts, I don't think it can be beat for developing stamina, strength, and even flexibility. Unfortunately, if you're looking for instruction, very few gyms will have crossfit or crossfit-like instructors or trainers. FEWER will have K-Bell instructors. Some will outright prohibit crossfit or k-bell training out of fear over branding/copyright issues or injury liability. I dunno...
Outside of finding a smaller iron house with a small but dedicated client base (expect small or 1 on 1 classes, and a commensurate cost) the best source for instruction has been the internet. Crossfit.com is especially good for videos and instruction.

Zhurdan
01-20-10, 11:47
The second exercise I would recommend is the get-up, sometimes called the turkish get-up. It's fantastic for shoulders, abs and pretty much every other muscle in your body. Once you get good at these two, there are tons of other exercises you can do.
Dan

Wilco,
I'd like to kick you in the nuts for suggesting the Turkish get-up. I did a couple sets last night with only 20 lbs and I almost had to call in a small boom truck to get my ass out of bed this morning. That's one hell of a workout! Thanks for the info! :D

ras61541
01-21-10, 07:53
There is so much you can do with kettlebells, and if you are careful most of it can be done indoors. KB Swings are a big one that comes to mind just make sure you have plenty of room and don't let go of the damn thing. Also look into snatches, turkish get ups, lunges... you can do about anything with a good set of kettlebells... i love them.

Pathfinder Ops
01-21-10, 09:00
What I like also is that they travel well.

My company takes me on the road a bit doing training and consulting and I can just throw them in and go. Then I don't have to wory about the BS fitness centers at the hotels.

No good if I fly however but since a fair amount of my travel is drive to stuff this works.

She got me 2 35lb KB's.

I see a lot of options in these.

wilco423
01-21-10, 10:32
Zhurdan- yeah, they can be rough at first :). If you keep with them, your shoulders and core will thank you!

Ras- a key point about retention! They work your grip something fierce (especially if you have ones with thick handles).

+1 on the crossfit info - easily the hardest workout I've ever had was at a crossfit gym.

dbldragon
01-29-10, 23:26
Check this out if you are interested in kettlebell training.

http://www.iwantredemption.com/

Chameleox
01-30-10, 10:59
Jeff Martone's site is also good. Works with Crossfit, Pavel, and Blauer a lot. I'm hoping to pick us a book or video from him soon, or get to a seminar somewhere in the upper midwest.
www.tacticalathlete.com

thegoat273
02-04-10, 17:38
Check out crossfit.com. get ready to get your butt kicked. Kettlebells are some good stuff!

Pikey
02-19-10, 15:40
I would recommend Pavel Tsatsouline's "Enter the Kettlebell" video and book

powerbypavel.com

Plus one. The book is great.

NWPilgrim
02-19-10, 16:27
I like to do sets of a few reps (5-10) each of a few simple KB exercises (put them in what ever order you like but the swing is a good starter).
- One hand swings
- Cleans
- Squats (second best to the swing for overall)
- one-hand presses
- get-ups
- jerks
- rowing pulls

You can do a wide variety of KB exercises, but I think it just takes a few done well to get most of the benefit. The others help to mix it up and keep it interesting, but I prefer to keep the KBs simple and supplement with other types of workout.

It's good to have at least two sizes of KB. One a little smaller for warmup and trying new things like the get up. Another that is challenging for heavy workouts and to make fewer reps more effective.

Mix this up with running, body-weight or cross-fit exercises and you can have a very functional fitness routine. Chinups, pushups, crunches, body builders (squat thrusts), etc. Nothing beats getting outdoors running on the road or trail, or hiking with a heavy day pack to build that real world endurance.

KB + body weight ex. + hiking/running = good work out!

Bulldog1967
02-19-10, 17:25
Tagged

Boss Hogg
02-20-10, 06:34
Crossfit rarely uses kettlebells anymore.

You might also want to check out www.mikemahler.com for extensive kettlebell training info and DVDs.

Try a Tabata interval with kettlebell swings. 20 seconds full-on, followed by 10 seconds of rest, for 4 minutes. Last time I did it, I ended up doing 110 x 53# swings in 4 minutes, rested 5 minutes, and then did Tabata air squats. Great workout. Another good one is alternating KB swings with KB lunges.

Buman
04-27-10, 10:15
I got a set of kettle weights for Xmas aswell. Could you describe " Get ups" and Kettle swings, not sure really what each is. Also what is minimum weight for swings?.

My set goes from like five pounds, to twenty five pounds, seems kinda light OR am I wrong.

Thanks in advance.
Dirk

Not sure how big you are but I am guess those are going to be pretty light and you are going to outgrow them pretty fast. I started with a 53# and that was prob a little heavy but I grew into it fast. Currently I have a 35, 53, and 70 lbs KB. The 53 is my meat and potatoes I use the 35 for warm-ups or very high reps, for the 70 right now all i am doing is two handed swings and box squats. I can't press it strictly overhead yet. I also do half get ups with it

tampam4
05-02-10, 19:11
I pride myself in having pretty powerful grip strength, and that is thanks to one specific KB drill. I'm not sure what its called, but here's a pic!

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/se/bk/make-military-press-exercise-difficult-200X200.jpg

Its basically a military press but with the bell upside down, wrist locked, and the only thing from keeping the bell from rotating is you crushing the handle. It sucks!:D

When I was doing alot of mma/BJJ this specific exercise helped immensely when grabbing a hold of clothing/ gi's. Talk about a forearm burner!

Grendelizer
05-02-10, 21:47
The 53 is my meat and potatoes I use the 35 for warm-ups or very high reps

Have had a 35 lb (16kg) for years, me and my kid just got a 53-pounder. Looking forward to it! Sort of. . . . ;)

John

wilco423
05-03-10, 00:47
tampam4-

I'm not sure what its called, but here's a pic!
That's a bottom's-up-press. Wicked good!

Is that a weight vest in the pic?