PDA

View Full Version : Holster ? Run n Gun ..Tac training?

clickclack
01-14-10, 17:46
wondering what kind of holsters you guys use when doing training where you have to have quick transitions from rifle to pistol? would a cross draw vest be optimal here? or maybe a leg holster like a blackhawk or do you prefer the regular belt holster?

Im looking to get into some heavy training this year and would like some input.

thanks

Magsz
01-14-10, 18:47
Cross draw vests are the absolute worst invention ever.

Whoever designed that type of vest needs to be kicked in the groin repeatedly by a mule.

Here is why.

1. When you go prone the pistol is going to be dragged through the muck. Sure, the same goes for a thigh holster or a hip mounted holster but exposure to the elements is reduced when worn on the hip (not so much on the leg but most guys are running leg rigs/holsters in DA situations (direct action).

2. Whenever you draw your pistol you are guaranteed to sweep the guy directly next to you. This is the absolute WORST situation in a training environment and would suck even more in a dynamic stress encounter. Sure, in the real world muzzle sweeps exist but we train to minimize the likelihood of that occuring when it counts.

Go with something else, anything else.

Pardon me if i glossed over this but what type of handgun are you running?

clickclack
01-14-10, 18:54
Ill be running a HK P2000 and/or P30

Magsz
01-14-10, 18:57
What kind of training are you doing? Any particular schools?

Are you LE, MIL or just a civi?

Do you want to try and keep it real or do you want to train for the apocalypse?

Do you carry concealed? IWB, OWB, kydex, leather?

clickclack
01-14-10, 19:10
What kind of training are you doing? Any particular schools?

Are you LE, MIL or just a civi?

Do you want to try and keep it real or do you want to train for the apocalypse?

Do you carry concealed? IWB, OWB, kydex, leather?

Im pretty much up for any training I can get my hands on. I would really like to attend a Magpul class if I could get on the list. My goal is to get more proficient with the systems I have.

I'm ex MIL currently Civi Thinking about going LE in the future.

I do not have my Concealed Yet. I plan to take that class also

skyugo
01-14-10, 19:17

Whoever designed that type of vest needs to be kicked in the groin repeatedly by a mule.

Here is why.

1. When you go prone the pistol is going to be dragged through the muck. Sure, the same goes for a thigh holster or a hip mounted holster but exposure to the elements is reduced when worn on the hip (not so much on the leg but most guys are running leg rigs/holsters in DA situations (direct action).

2. Whenever you draw your pistol you are guaranteed to sweep the guy directly next to you. This is the absolute WORST situation in a training environment and would suck even more in a dynamic stress encounter. Sure, in the real world muzzle sweeps exist but we train to minimize the likelihood of that occuring when it counts.

but but but... teh punisher uses one! :D

to the OP-seems to me mostly everyone is running belt holsters these days... the drop holsters are nice if you wear armor... which you may if you go SWAT or something...

erik18
01-14-10, 19:57
I have seen a lot of drop leg holsters/belt holsters. Either one would work. I use a belt holster because that is where my gun will be when I am on duty. I like to be consistent.

Magsz
01-14-10, 20:20
I have seen a lot of drop leg holsters/belt holsters. Either one would work. I use a belt holster because that is where my gun will be when I am on duty. I like to be consistent.

Consistency is key.

I went to my first Magpul class tac'd out to the extreme and i felt like a dipshit by the end of the class.

The last two classes that i took i ran a minimalist rig, both for my handgun and my carbine and ended up a hell of a lot happier in the end since i felt like the training was realistic to what i would be rocking if i had to defend my family or get rid of some zombies.

For the handgun i kept it similar to my concealed carry rig (im still trying out different CC holsters so at the time, i ran a simple OWB holster) so you might want to take some of what we are saying into consideration. Training realistically is what Magpul and most reputable trainers are preaching these days.

If you're thinking about going LE and want to take this one step further find out what the duty holster that the PD you're thinking about applying at is using and train with that. Find out how lenient they are with equipment choices as well and what is acceptable as a non issued piece of gear.

Buy right or buy twice.

John_Wayne777
01-14-10, 21:31
wondering what kind of holsters you guys use when doing training where you have to have quick transitions from rifle to pistol? would a cross draw vest be optimal here?

No. Crossdraw sucks for everybody to your left if you are on a firing line, assuming you're right handed. And by "sucks" I mean you're basically going to end up pointing your gun at them.

That's unsat and most trainers won't let you on the line with a rig like that.

or maybe a leg holster like a blackhawk

Drop leg holsters are generally only of redeeming value if you wear body armor that interferes with access to a belt holster. If you take a look at really switched on guys who have to use thigh holsters they run them as high up as possible.

Im looking to get into some heavy training this year and would like some input.

Buy a holster suitable for daily carry as well as mag pouches, and possibly a flashlight carrier suitable for the same thing. Personally I'm a fan of Raven Concealment's gear. It's what I wear daily and what I train with whenever possible.

ToddG
01-14-10, 22:20
I've got to disagree to a point with the vest carry. There are certain specific applications where it makes a lot of sense for an assaulter. It's also possible to set up a vest carry configuration that is still more 'strong side' than 'cross draw' and that tends to be an all around better option.

The best answer to "What gear should I use in class?" is always the same: the gear you're going to use outside of class. Learning to run around kitted up like a Ninja SEAL Ranger Assassin might be fun and stroke some folks' egos but it doesn't do a lot in terms of actual preparation for unpleasantness.

MarshallDodge
01-14-10, 22:31
The best answer to "What gear should I use in class?" is always the same: the gear you're going to use outside of class. Learning to run around kitted up like a Ninja SEAL Ranger Assassin might be fun and stroke some folks' egos but it doesn't do a lot in terms of actual preparation for unpleasantness.
Agreed. Training with your everyday equipment will also give you a good idea on how it will perform in the real world.

Get a good belt with that holster as well.

Magsz
01-15-10, 08:28
Todd,

I dont think anyone here is against vest carry.

We are specifically commenting on cross draw style vests, ie the horrific blackhawk Omega line of vests.

If the user knows what they're doing they're perfectly able to set up a vest that will essentially mimic a draw from the hip or belt line, only slightly higher as the gun generally sits on the oblique area of their stomach.

I know a few soldiers over in iraq that are running Serpa's/safariland 6004's on their chest in an Xdraw style. These guys are ALL rolling around in humvees all day so it makes sense. Still, considering guns are inherently dangerous, adding another level of danger or disregard for safety is probably not a good idea.

Then again, if it works for these gents and keeps them safe, arguing safety theory on the internet wont get us anywhere. :)

Lee Indy
01-15-10, 08:39
i have a blade techs for all my guns but my favorite is my comp-tac minotar for iwb and my comp-tac paddle both for the glock 19

Pathfinder Ops
01-15-10, 10:04

Here is why.

I would like to add one other observation against the crossdraw.

I'm the Medic on our Tac Team. If need to kneel or squat down over a badguy to do patient care and my HG is in a cross draw it is (potentially) readily available or within reach of said badguy.

Yes there are or should be retention qualities to the cross draws and yes the badguy should be secured in some fashion, but why tempt fate when belt or drop leg holsters are available and present less of a temptation.

Additionally placing the HG on my chest takes up space where pockets could be that have my other needed items (med gear etc.).

Just a thought.

skyugo
01-15-10, 18:06
I've got to disagree to a point with the vest carry. There are certain specific applications where it makes a lot of sense for an assaulter. It's also possible to set up a vest carry configuration that is still more 'strong side' than 'cross draw' and that tends to be an all around better option.

i do most of my training in a bathrobe with my glasses off. :D

DSand
01-16-10, 10:20
I use a Safariland 6280 on duty and a 6004 for SWAT and tactical training.

The cross draw holster was invented for fratricide.:(

the_fallguy
01-16-10, 13:02
I typically carry a pistol in an IWB holster around the 4:00 area. I'm not in law enforcement, nor do I open carry, so assuming that I ever have to draw a sidearm as a secondary weapon in support of a downed primary, it will be from that position. Therefore, I do most of my transitioning training from the IWB holster, even in a class (as long as it is allowed).

To do otherwise could be considered a "training scar", much like folding your mag retention straps or cords out of the way for practice because they are a pain to deal with, instead of using them in practice because you will have to use them for real.

If your mode of carry differs from mine depending on your job requirements or personal needs, I would adjust accordingly. Either way, I would personally recommend that you practice drawing with mode of carry that you will likely be using when you are employing a rifle as a primary weapon.