PDA

View Full Version : storage question

moonshot
01-14-10, 19:38
I'm not sure where this questions belongs, but here goes.

I have an extra Glock pistol, an extra AR15, extra mags (Glock's and Pmag's) and extra ammo for each that I wish to store so as to not keep all my eggs in one basket.

I am not looking to bury them, but to protect them from being lost or destroyed by a home burglary or house fire. A top-shelf safe would help, but is cost prohibitive and not completely fire-safe.

Because these will not be kept at home, I may have infrequent access to inspect them. Therefore, they need to be stored in such a manner that they can be left unattended for a prolong period time. One year at a minimum. Longer would be better.

Guns are clean and oiled (to the level one would perform after a routine shooting session). Ammo is in MTM boxes. Mags are unloaded.

I have thought of two ways to "store" these. In an air-tight container (pelican case, military ammo can) and packed with desiccant and/or VcPI strips OR packed inside one of those VcPI storage bags, similar to ZCorr products storage bags...

http://www.zcorrproducts.com/

If I can handle the "theft security" issue, will either of these above options handle the "one or more years left alone and free of rust / corrosion" issues?