PDA

View Full Version : Nice Stake Job?

C4IGrant
03-25-07, 16:44
A customer walked into the shop the other day to show me his Model 1 Sales AR. He asked me to look it over and see if I could find anything wrong with it.

So I opened up the gun and took out the BCG. As soon as I did, I noticed something "jiggling" around. Low and behold, it was the carrier key! It was never loctited in and the stake job on it was poor to say the least.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.....

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Model1%20Sales%20BCG.jpg

Robb Jensen
03-25-07, 16:52
I don't use Loc-Tite but I do use 55 inch lbs of torque and very good staking! ;)

I degrease everything before torquing and lap the bottom of the carrier key.

condition 1
03-25-07, 17:16
The question should have been could you find any thing RIGHT with it .

themadhatter
03-25-07, 17:30
I don't use Loc-Tite but I do use 55 inch lbs of torque and very good staking! ;)

even with a AR-10 ;)

Cesiumsponge
03-25-07, 20:37
That's pretty scary! In fact, it worried me into checking the factory stake job on my own after I put some rounds downrange yesterday.

As far as I can tell, everything looks uniform on my Bushy.

http://www.impulselabs.org/Personal/Eric/Gun/Staked.jpg

Robb Jensen
03-25-07, 21:17
That's pretty scary! In fact, it worried me into checking the factory stake job on my own after I put some rounds downrange yesterday.

As far as I can tell, everything looks uniform on my Bushy.

Pretty darn good for Bushmaster, but being the perfectionist I am I would counterstake with the P-MOACKS.

Eric
03-26-07, 02:26
Easy fix, but one that should not have to be made in the first place.

C4IGrant
03-26-07, 08:41

I use blue loctite on the ones I build as it is easy to get offer later. Proper Torque and staking is also key.

C4

C4IGrant
03-26-07, 08:44
Pretty darn good for Bushmaster, but being the perfectionist I am I would counterstake with the P-MOACKS.

I would have to agree, that is pretty good for BM.

C4

C4IGrant
03-26-07, 08:45
The question should have been could you find any thing RIGHT with it .

LOL, well I checked the chamber and it was in fact 556 NATO (was surprised). I also checked the head space and it was good.

C4