PDA

View Full Version : 11.5" barrel profiles

parishioner
01-14-10, 20:51
Although I would love to be purchasing an SBR in the near future, sadly, I'm not. More just curious about the following questions, though I will use the information whenever I get around to purchasing.

Are there any drawbacks to the pencil barrel that is on a Colt 6933?
If you have handled a government profile and pencil profile specifically on a 11.5", is there a noticeable difference in the handling of the two?

I have heard different things on the .625 diameter barrels. Some say that they heat up quickly but others say that unless you are firing heavily which is not the majority of shooting situations, you should be fine.

I know plenty of people love their government profile BCM uppers but I also know that rob_s and some others have a 6933 and are fond of them as well.

Just looking for anyone who would care to share their experiences.

01-16-10, 18:05
My 6933 has been run hard in training and never had an issue. Most in the know think highly of them. Doesn't mean others such as BCM are a lesser SBR, but the 6933 has established itself with many.

Belmont31R
01-16-10, 19:02
There isnt a significant weight difference between say a BCM 11.5 and a Colt 6933. Different profiles but the barrel is short enough, and the weight is close enough in to not make things significantly different. Think of a lever. The same weight close to the lever has a different effect the further out from the lever you go (feels heavier).

Benefit to a lightweight barrel is it sheds heat faster but also heats up quicker.

Benefit to gov or med profile is they heat up slower, and are also more rigid due to the extra barrel steel. They are less prone to flex which makes for a more accurate barrel although an 11.5" isnt going to flex as much as a longer barrel.

Colt 6933 is going to have the Colt premium price tag. BCM is very comparable and is quite a bit cheaper unless you can find a deal on one.

For my uses Id just get a BCM. I do have a BCM 11.5 and its been a very solid shooter. I had a KAC URX middy rail put on, and its quite a gun to shoot. Ive also owned a 6933 upper in the past, and I can't say one was any better than the other. Im very happy with my BCM upper, and would not hesitate to get another...

parishioner
01-17-10, 11:30
Thanks Belmont. That's what I was looking for.