PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Loaders????

Evil Colt 6920
01-15-10, 16:02
Ive seen several of these easy loaders on youtube. Most* of them just seem like a waste of money to me. Just one more thing to put in my range pack thats already stretching the zippers. Also, if the SHTF, thats one more step and tool to have to think about. I saw a video by Nutnfancy usuing using a LULA loader, it seems to be the best one out there. I like its unloading feature. But I prefer to unload mags using my trigger finger :D I guess these are made for people with soft/sensitive hands? Ive never had sore fingers from loading 5.56 magazines and I load 8 30rnd and 2 20 round mags before going to the range. I could see myself getting one of these devices for loading my .22lr mags but not my 5.56. Does anyone have any of these "easy loaders" that can shed some light on the topic? Maybe I'm missing something??? :confused: Thanks for any input. :D

austinN4
01-15-10, 16:22
Does anyone have any of these "easy loaders" that can shed some light on the topic? Maybe I'm missing something??? :confused: Thanks for any input. :D
LULA because, well, it is easy!

Evil Colt 6920
01-15-10, 16:27

I thought loading an AR mag was already easy. At least compared to maxing out a 9mm or .22lr magazine anyway.

geminidglocker
01-15-10, 16:31
The only loading device I've ever used is the Loader that came with my Beta-C mag, and that's the only mag I have used it on.

AMMOTECH
01-15-10, 17:05
The only loading device I've ever used is the Loader that came with my Beta-C mag, and that's the only mag I have used it on.

I loaded close to 300 GI mags one afternoon at work with the Beta mag loader and it worked like a charm. I was helping on the test range. :D Talk about folks going thru some ammo....

chadbag
01-15-10, 17:06
LULA is the easiest and fastest way in my experience. StripLULA also works well. With individual rounds the regular LULA is better but the StripLULA also works with individual rounds as well as rounds on stripper clips

RetreatHell
01-15-10, 17:21
I don't really see a need for these. I'll pre-load thirty 30-round mags with 28 rounds in each a day or two before a carbine course, and I've never had any issues or wished I had a LULA when doing it. As for unloading, I simply strip the first round out with my finger, then use that round to easily and quickly strip the rest of the rounds out of the mag. I guarantee doing that is as fast or faster than using a LULA to unload my mags.

The only loaders I ever use are standard stripper clips, and those DO help out a lot. That's the quickest possible way to instantly load up a mag. I just rarely use ammo with stripper clips, though.

The only way I could see myself using a LULA or similar device is if my hands were always chaffed or cut up from doing whatever. My fingers actually do get ****ed up quite often -mainly my thumbs and index fingers- from pushing my wheelchair, but I've never has an issue loading 5.56 mags. I've had some problems fully loading 9mm Glock mags before, whenever my thumbs get really bad from my wheelchair tires or from accidentally catching my thumb in between my brake and tire while pushing my chair, but 5.56 mags are no problem... especially PMAGs.

Anyways, that's my take on the subject. YMMV.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

RetreatHell
01-15-10, 17:23
I loaded close to 300 GI mags one afternoon at work with the Beta mag loader and it worked like a charm. I was helping on the test range. :D Talk about folks going thru some ammo....

This would definitely be an exception. If I'm loading that many mags in that amount of time, I'll take anything that will help me out. 300 mags in on afternoon, especially GI mags, will put the hurt on your hands for sure.

chadbag
01-15-10, 17:26
. As for unloading, I simply strip the first round out with my finger, then use that round to easily and quickly strip the rest of the rounds out of the mag. I guarantee doing that is as fast or faster than using a LULA to unload my mags.

I'll race you! ;) I bet I can unload a magazine with the LULA faster than you can your method (unload means get the rounds out of the magazine without firing them :D).

I am not knocking your method, but when I see someone make a guarantee I think I can beat I can't let it pass...

RetreatHell
01-15-10, 17:48
I'll race you! ;) I bet I can unload a magazine with the LULA faster than you can your method (unload means get the rounds out of the magazine without firing them :D).

I am not knocking your method, but when I see someone make a guarantee I think I can beat I can't let it pass...

You're on! Lets see, I live in Houston, you live somewhere in Utah... hmmmm... let's meet up somewhere in Albuquerque, New Mexico in a few days' time for a contest!!

The loser pays for the winner's gas and hotel. I'll start packing my bags right now!:D

Semper Fi,

-Paul

chadbag
01-15-10, 17:53
You're on! Lets see, I live in Houston, you live somewhere in Utah... hmmmm... let's meet up somewhere in Albuquerque, New Mexico in a few days' time for a contest!!

The loser pays for the winner's gas and hotel. I'll start packing my bags right now!:D

Semper Fi,

-Paul

Sounds like a deal :p

I will time myself and see if I can make a video of it. I'll report back.

LBG375
01-15-10, 17:57
Definitely the Beta C-mag Loader. It's the fastest I've used. The Lula is the fastest unloader I've used.

11Bravo
01-15-10, 18:04
I have to agree with eguns on this one.
I have a StripLula, it does take a bit of practice to get the hang of the unloading, but once you do you can do it a lot faster than using another round.
You also don't scratch up the cases, not that that is a big deal, but...
The StripLula can use the issue stripper clips as well and they work much better in it than in the little steel thing issued with them.
Only catch is that you HAVE to keep the trigger finger of the hand holding magazine wrapped around the little tab at the back.
I have not timed it, but I think it is pretty close at loading loose rounds as doing it just by had too.
I don't have a video camera or I'd make videos of each.

Evil Colt 6920
01-15-10, 18:23
Well it seems to me unless your loading a TON of magazines or a beta C mag its not really worth having around. Id rather spend that money on an additional magazine or ammo. I just timed myself loading a 30rnd magazine by hand, took me 1 minute 2 seconds. And I know I could go faster because I dropped a few rounds and had to reach back down to pick them up. Does the military or LEO get issued these things?

perna
01-15-10, 19:11
Takes about 30 seconds to load a 30 round mag, and 5 seconds to unload with the lula.

SWATcop556
01-15-10, 19:50
If needed the LULA works well, but I prefer to just use my dick beaters. :cool:

Evil Colt 6920
01-15-10, 20:27
If needed the LULA works well, but I prefer to just use my dick beaters. :cool:

LOL I agree. No one has provided any evidence that these are "worth" buying in my opinion. An extra mag, box of ammo, etc, seem like a much more practical way to spend 25 bucks.

chadbag
01-15-10, 20:37
LOL I agree. No one has provided any evidence that these are "worth" buying in my opinion. An extra mag, box of ammo, etc, seem like a much more practical way to spend 25 bucks.

Take one to a class and you will see all the evidence you need. Or use one yourself however you shoot, class not needed, for several shooting sessions.

note that there are two different LULA devices for AR15 type mags. The original LULA and the StripLULA. http://www.maglula.com is the manufacturer and they have videos there of both the LULA and StripLULA.

Evil Colt 6920
01-15-10, 21:00
Take one to a class and you will see all the evidence you need. Or use one yourself however you shoot, class not needed, for several shooting sessions.

note that there are two different LULA devices for AR15 type mags. The original LULA and the StripLULA. http://www.maglula.com is the manufacturer and they have videos there of both the LULA and StripLULA.

When I go to my range, Im usually there for 5 hours or more. I load my magazines many times. Not once has the thought entered my mind that "oh my god, I wish there was an easier way to do this".

lawusmc0844
01-15-10, 21:01
I was thinking of getting a LULA before but I decided that stripper clips and guides that I can get for free, work just fine. If I have any loose 5.56/.223 I put them on stripper clips and put them in the cardboard boxes or even put them into the USGI bandoliers that come with issue ammo.

chadbag
01-15-10, 21:02
When I go to my range, Im usually there for 5 hours or more. I load my magazines many times. Not once has the thought entered my mind that "oh my god, I wish there was an easier way to do this".

It does not have to enter into your mind. You may not realize there is a better way until you try it.

CarlosDJackal
01-15-10, 21:16
I loaded close to 300 GI mags one afternoon at work with the Beta mag loader and it worked like a charm. I was helping on the test range. :D Talk about folks going thru some ammo...

+1 million. The Beta C 5-round Personal Loader (http://www.betaco.com/details.asp?rid=6&weapon=) is the best. Ever since I bought it the only thing I use my LULA (http://maglula.tripod.com/lula.htm#M-16 / AR-15 LULA) for is to help unload or download mags.

I also have the Strip LULA. (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=135799) It's not the best for loading anything but rounds that are on stripper clips.

I almost wish that they would come up with a 10-round model though. YMMV.

perna
01-15-10, 22:23
Im not sure I would call it a needed item since you can load mags without it, but it does work. It is a bit faster and a bit easier, and for the $20 I paid it seems well worth it. Supposedly the maglula protects the feed lips from getting worn out.

chadbag
01-15-10, 22:58
It does not have to enter into your mind. You may not realize there is a better way until you try it.

This was actually my experience. I never bothered with a mag loader since I can easily load the mags myself. Until I tried one. It was several years ago but I was at the SHOT Show and walked by the table where the guys form Israel who make them were showing them off. They let me play with one for a while and I saw the light, so to speak.

Once that happened I decided it was worthwhile for myself and I also started to carry the LULA line in my online store.

chadbag
01-15-10, 23:00
+1 million. The Beta C 5-round Personal Loader (http://www.betaco.com/details.asp?rid=6&weapon=) is the best. Ever since I bought it the only thing I use my LULA (http://maglula.tripod.com/lula.htm#M-16 / AR-15 LULA) for is to help unload or download mags.

I also have the Strip LULA. (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=135799) It's not the best for loading anything but rounds that are on stripper clips.

I almost wish that they would come up with a 10-round model though. YMMV.

The StripLULA was really made to speed the use of stripper clips. It was designed to also work with loose rounds but that was not its primary purpose. The regular LULA was designed for that.

At a class I was at last year someone had a loader that looks like the Beta 5 round loader from the link you posted. Though I thought they said it worked with 10 at a time. But I may be confused. Anyway, it looked like it worked really well and fast too.

Evil Colt 6920
01-16-10, 01:52
I guess If I run across one of these in person ill have to give it a try then. One thing that has caught my eye as "more practical" is the EasyMag from Cammenga, I watched a video on it, looks like the fastest way to load ive seen. Anyone have one of these or played around with one yet???

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr339/shotgunspree/cammengaeasymag.jpg

chadbag
01-16-10, 02:06
I guess If I run across one of these in person ill have to give it a try then. One thing that has caught my eye as "more practical" is the EasyMag from Cammenga, I watched a video on it, looks like the fastest way to load ive seen. Anyone have one of these or played around with one yet???

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr339/shotgunspree/cammengaeasymag.jpg

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=41853&highlight=cammenga

Evil Colt 6920
01-16-10, 02:40
eguns:Dthanks, good info there. It doesnt seem near as good in that review compared to the video I watched today. Ill stick to current mags for now.

ColdDeadHands
01-16-10, 02:58
I've used this one (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=926403) before and it works ok, I do prefer to load my mags by hand.

markman
01-16-10, 06:36
I'm another fan of the Lula. It's also very handy for my wife, if she decides to load some mags for me or herself.

dbrowne1
01-16-10, 09:41
I've been to a few classes and never felt like I needed a mag loader.

Some Fayetteville SWAT guys had one of the Lula BenchLoaders at a class I went to. It was, admittedly, quite awesome - but I'm not sure it was $350 worth of awesome given my limited needs.

If I had to load a lot of mags with some frequency, I'd be all over it.

BT2012
01-16-10, 15:17
I use the LULA and it is easy and simple to use for loading and unloading a mag. The plus side is it is not expensive whereas the MAGLULA BenchLoader is very expensive.

Pi3
01-16-10, 19:22

Exactly. I spent a long day at the range loading pmags for the ar & pistol mags for a glock 17 & sig 226. My right hand was slightly numb for a couple of months. Sadly, this may just be my getting old. I got the one for the AR & the one for pistol magazines. Recently finished a pistol class & it was handy for quick reloads between stages.

ForTehNguyen
01-16-10, 21:55
StripLULA. I find it faster than the LULA even with loose rounds and its slimmer

nicholst55
01-16-10, 23:43
I had 40,000 rounds worth of loaded mags to inventory; a BenchLula made short work of reloading the mags. Place mag in loader, insert 30 rounds; ZIP! Done.

AMMOTECH
01-17-10, 10:03

Here's the link to the one that I was using.
http://www.betaco.com/details.asp?rid=1&weapon=M16/M4

http://www.betaco.com/img/lcms10.jpg

The metal tips on the handle are magnets to remove the stripper clips when you pull the handle back up.