PDA

View Full Version : clip advice needed

nwcatman
01-15-10, 17:08
have a 1911 series 70 .45 commander that has started short stroking. replaced the springs and that helped a lot EXCEPT for my 3 bill wilson clips. sorry if that offends someone but it is what it is. a no name generic clip feeds ammo like crazy, no mangled cases. anyone have any preferences for clip brands that i don't have to mortgage the house to buy? thanks!

geminidglocker
01-15-10, 17:55
You mean the Magazine, right??? Sorry, but somebody is bound to say it.:D

Marcus L.
01-15-10, 18:14
You mean the Magazine, right??? Sorry, but somebody is bound to say it.:D

Clips are used to hold cartridges together for quick loading, magazines are used to hold cartridges for feeding into the guns’ chamber :D

silentsod
01-15-10, 18:22
I can't believe I was this slow.

Get a variety of McCormick, Tripp, and GI mags test them and see which ones work in your pistol.

One of the downsides of the 1911 in this day and age is a wide variance among magazines as well as individual examples of the pistol.

nwcatman
01-15-10, 18:30
no, a clip is what holds the rounds in my guns. a magazine is what i buy to read about the guns that hold my clips in em. so there.

bkb0000
01-15-10, 18:32
no, a clip is what holds the rounds in my guns. a magazine is what i buy to read about the guns that hold my clips in em. so there.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! YOU DIE!

nwcatman
01-15-10, 20:02
liked that one did ya?

Robb Jensen
01-15-10, 20:12
Clip feeds the magazine, magazine feeds the gun.

Jeff Cooper said it best: "if it is a spring it's a clip", "if it contains a spring it's a magazine."

Business_Casual
01-15-10, 20:22
First, when you say you "replaced the springs" do you mean the recoil spring or the magazine springs?

Second, I've had very good luck with Colt and Chip McCormick magazines.

Evil Colt 6920
01-15-10, 20:41

This site has some folks with a LOT of professional experience. If it says Industry Professional under their name, you should listen to what they have to say. You dont get that title here just by being a post whore, they have earned that title by other means. Dont take them for granted, they are NOT getting paid to give you the CORRECT info.

Robb Jensen
01-15-10, 21:17
have a 1911 series 70 .45 commander that has started short stroking. replaced the springs and that helped a lot EXCEPT for my 3 bill wilson clips. sorry if that offends someone but it is what it is. a no name generic clip feeds ammo like crazy, no mangled cases. anyone have any preferences for clip brands that i don't have to mortgage the house to buy? thanks!

How did you test for short stroking?

Dave Berryhill
01-15-10, 21:25
I'd suggest trying one of these:
http://u-t-g.com/zen/images/manufacturers/tl-mg10-m.jpg

;)

Robb Jensen
01-15-10, 21:33
I'd suggest trying one of these:
http://u-t-g.com/zen/images/manufacturers/tl-mg10-m.jpg

;)

Enbloc clips which feed the internal magazine in a M1 Garand.

MarshallDodge
01-15-10, 22:15
Well if you do a search online for 1911 clip you may not find as much as if you search for 1911 magazine. ;)

Chip McCormick Shooting Stars work really well in my 5" 1911's and run about $15. I like his Power Mags for the 4" and 5"guns and they are a little more at around $20.

ToddG
01-15-10, 22:21
The clip vs. magazine debate is one of hobbyist jargon and not denotation. It is perfectly acceptable, in the English language, to refer to the ammunition feeding device of a 1911 as a "clip" no matter how inelegant it sounds to gun aficionados.

Merriam Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip)
Main Entry: 2clip
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
2 : a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm

Or

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
cartridge clip
n. A metal container or frame for holding cartridges to be loaded into an automatic rifle or pistol. Also called ammunition clip.

geminidglocker
01-15-10, 22:28
See how easy this was? or could have been?
I second the Vote for Chip McCormick, they are without equal in my book.

nwcatman
01-15-10, 22:38
c'mon guys, lighten up! clip/magazine, whatever. we all got bigger problems than being politically correct about a description/title. least i do!!

pirate-i replaced the recoil and firing pin spring.

gotm4- on the last round out of the clip/mag. the brass was being smashed front to back. last brass only. was told by a gunsmith that it is called "short stroking".

evil colt-never mind.

all the rest-thank you!

DWood
01-15-10, 23:13
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/clipsvsmags.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/clipandmagar15.jpg

Jay Cunningham
01-15-10, 23:27
Enough nonsense.

Robb Jensen
01-16-10, 06:50
You may need new mags springs. However if your extractor tension is set correctly it should eject without a magazine even in the pistol.