PDA

View Full Version : vltor IMOD

militarymoron
01-15-10, 18:43
smglee mentioned this in his colt thread, and i didn't want to take it off on a tangent, so i'm posting a pic here. the IMOD (Improved Modstock) is the next gen carbine modstock. it's a cross between the original modstock and the EMOD. same size essentially as the carbine modstock, which it'll eventually replace, but with a removable rubber buttpad similar to the one on the EMOD, and an angle on the toe. it'll come in standard and clubfoot configurations, standard vltor colours (black, FDE, foliage).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/imod1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/imod3.jpg

KingsideRook
01-15-10, 18:48
Very nice - I was wondering about the IMOD once I saw SMGLee's post, but I figured we'd see live examples from SHOT any day. Thanks for the clear pics and info.

nickh46
01-15-10, 18:54
How is the wobble on the thing? I hope that it's improved over earlier models to be as solid as Magpul or LMT.

og556
01-15-10, 18:54
Any idea on the weight ? Thank you for the pictures !

militarymoron
01-15-10, 19:00
consider it the same in most instances as the modstock as far as fit goes. any wobble also depends on tube variability.
weight - dunno. same as modstock + a rubber pad. :)
i'm sure more info will come out after SHOT. these were first shots out of the mold.

SPDGG
01-15-10, 22:55
Sucks, just got the current carbine model. Wish I waited.

Highly doubt it, but wish VLTOR would come out with a rubber pad for their existing carbine stock(s).

I guess I'll need this as well.....:D

militarymoron
01-15-10, 23:04
Highly doubt it, but wish VLTOR would come out with a rubber pad for their existing carbine stock(s).

they do have the slip-on one.

Surf
01-15-10, 23:19
Sounds like the perfect Vltor.

I too wish they offered an attachable buttpad similar to this one or the one on the Emod for the current standard stock. I have a slip on for one of mine and really like it for the increased traction, but it is a bit bulky for my liking.

Stickman
01-15-10, 23:58
Slap this puppy up in the SHOT section! :)

DSand
01-16-10, 09:42
Any word if they will make this one in the A1 rifle length?

RAM Engineer
01-16-10, 10:31
Looks nice. Vltor just took another step closer to the LMT SOPMOD IMHO.

Does anyone use the "modular" feature of the Modstocks? I don't think I've ever seen any pics on here of folks choosing to run the cheekweld pieces instead of the battery compartments (which actually give a BETTER cheekweld). Plus the interlocking teeth used for this "feature" are a pain in the face if you have much facial hair at all.

SeriousStudent
01-16-10, 10:35
Thank you for the photos, MM.

I always appreciate your work. :)

NCPatrolAR
01-16-10, 10:46
Nice. While I like the normal Vltor stocks, I went with the Emods due to the cut at the toe of the stock. Now that these are coming out, I'll probably be ditching my Emods.

For me; Vltor makes the best stocks on the market.

Stickman
01-16-10, 11:34
Now that these are coming out, I'll probably be ditching my Emods.

You like it that much? Thats good news for the consumer.

d90king
01-16-10, 12:22
How is the wobble on the thing? I hope that it's improved over earlier models to be as solid as Magpul or LMT.

Agreed! That is my biggest complaint on my Emod... Once you get used to a SOPMOD the slop drives you nuts....

kwelz
01-16-10, 14:00
It is evolutionary not revolutionary. Some people expected the former and got the latter. I think it is a nice change, but not enough to ditch my CTRs for.

NCPatrolAR
01-16-10, 14:18
You like it that much? Thats good news for the consumer.

Yep. I loved the original Vltor stocks, but went with the Emods because I thought the angle cut was a HUGE improvement in spite of the weight of the Emod. If I can get that same toe angle without the weight of the Emod,I'm all over it. Plus, I never used any of the storage provided by the Emod.

Now I do plan to keep an Emod on my Recce-style gun. But weight is less of an issue with that gun compared to my other ARs.

KingsideRook
01-16-10, 14:57
Yep. I loved the original Vltor stocks, but went with the Emods because I thought the angle cut was a HUGE improvement in spite of the weight of the Emod. If I can get that same toe angle without the weight of the Emod,I'm all over it. Plus, I never used any of the storage provided by the Emod.

Now I do plan to keep an Emod on my Recce-style gun. But weight is less of an issue with that gun compared to my other ARs.

I like the way my EMOD stock balances a 12" rail and a 2-cell scout light, but on carbines with less out front, this will be ideal. I forsee that my builds with shorter rail systems/MOE handguards and pencil barrels, if BCM ever makes them in mid-length, will have IMOD stocks on them.

militarymoron
01-16-10, 15:02
the IMOD is just that - an improved Modstock, not meant to be a completely new design. they kept what worked well, and made improvements where needed.

if you like the modstock, you'll like the IMOD. if you don't, then stick to what you like, simple as that. no one's trying to change your mind or sell you anything. everyone has different preferences.

rockm4
01-16-10, 15:04
they do have the slip-on one.

As always great info. MM. But to me the slip- on butt pads seem to take the looks away from an otherwise good looking stock. Myself and others, I,m sure prefer the flat style rubber pad. Nice job VLTOR. :D

militarymoron
01-16-10, 15:21
But to me the slip- on butt pads seem to take the looks away from an otherwise good looking stock.
i absolutely agree with you - i didn't like the rubber slip-on either.

rychencop
01-16-10, 15:25
I heard that when you pop off the battery cap, slinky girls pop out. I can't prove that as I don't have one yet, but thats the word on the street.

hmmm...that may work then.

rychencop
01-16-10, 15:26
like?

i guess something a bit more innovative. i'm happy with my emod.

LaVista
01-16-10, 16:25
I was really hoping for a Vltor Buttstock that had permanently attached battery compartments. I have facial hair and the interlocking "Teeth" rip out hair and it stings!!! I guess I will have to keep on waiting.

For purposes where I don't need a cheekweld stock, or to carry any extra batteries I use & will continue to use Magpul CTR stocks on future builds.

If Vltor came out with a battery holding/improved cheekweld Stock that didn't have teeth, I would be all over it.

Mr. Goodtimes
01-16-10, 19:41
This is no doubt, the stock going on my 11.5in SBR build.

eternal24k
01-16-10, 19:51
nice!

akula88
01-17-10, 07:04
Oh, boy! Just when I had figured it out, now comes and evolutionary product. :) Nice! I had just completed all three clubfoot colors plus an eMod coming -- now this... :D

Is there any third-party product that would implement a similar screw-on rubber buttpad like the Magpul line? I believe boring the butt-end, plus 4-screws/bolts would get it done. I do have the SOG slip-ons.

Boss Hogg
01-17-10, 07:15
I was really hoping for a Vltor Buttstock that had permanently attached battery compartments. I have facial hair and the interlocking "Teeth" rip out hair and it stings!!! I guess I will have to keep on waiting.

For purposes where I don't need a cheekweld stock, or to carry any extra batteries I use & will continue to use Magpul CTR stocks on future builds.

If Vltor came out with a battery holding/improved cheekweld Stock that didn't have teeth, I would be all over it.

OD or black duct tape is your friend.

http://r3fresh.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/duct-tape-3m.jpg

sandman_sy
01-17-10, 07:19
Tagged :) f anyone gets word to where this is available first :) pls post :)

rob_s
01-17-10, 07:26

Ya know, I thought for years that it was the teeth grabbing me too. I now shoot a MOE-stocked and M4-stocked carbine far more than any of my Vltor-stocked guns (have a modstock gun and an Emod gun) and I have learned that it's not the teeth at all that grab my beard but the gap between the receiver extension OD and the stock tube ID because both of those stocks grab me too. The LMT SOPMOD stock on the KAC SR15 I wrote about for SWAT grabbed my beard as well, and interestingly even the trunnion gap on my AK grabbed.

grunz
01-17-10, 13:17
Ya know, I thought for years that it was the teeth grabbing me too. I now shoot a MOE-stocked and M4-stocked carbine far more than any of my Vltor-stocked guns (have a modstock gun and an Emod gun) and I have learned that it's not the teeth at all that grab my beard but the gap between the receiver extension OD and the stock tube ID because both of those stocks grab me too. The LMT SOPMOD stock on the KAC SR15 I wrote about for SWAT grabbed my beard as well, and interestingly even the trunnion gap on my AK grabbed.

Rob is 100% correct. I have a beard and own AR's with both modstock and e-modstock. The beard is not pulled by the teeth, rather by the tube junction. The modstock bit my beard because I had to run it a 3-4 clicks out on the tube and this put the buffer tube and stock joint right at my beard. My emod, which is longer, never bites me bescuse I only run it 1 click out on the tube.

buddyhoohaw
01-18-10, 16:02

I also agree with Rob; my CTRs grab my whiskers with same fury as any of my Vltors. I have noticed that my SOPMODs snag the beard less frequently which maybe due to the super tight stock-to-buffer tube interface. I have always like Vltor products and will be picking up a standard IMOD in FDE for my Noveske SBR when available.

Cheers

JimT
01-18-10, 16:09
Ohhh I like these. Might have to offload my VLTOR modstocks soon!

nickh46
01-22-10, 13:06
I asked a buddy who's attending the SHOT SHOW to check out the iMod to see if there was any play or wobble.

He said that it does, and as much as previous models :(

BAC
01-22-10, 13:25

Very good to know. Thank you.

-B

mrbieler
01-22-10, 16:25
I like it, but I haven't haven't had my Mod stock on long enough to justify replacing it and I like the ACS stock I have on my scoped carbine.

Outlander Systems
02-06-10, 22:12
Is there a release date posted?

I think I've found the replacement for my ACS.

SuicideHz
02-11-10, 12:56
MM- that wouldn't happen to be a barcode link to your site would it? :D

militarymoron
02-11-10, 14:25
MM- that wouldn't happen to be a barcode link to your site would it? :D
did you read it with a barcode reader?

Outlander Systems
03-17-10, 21:50
So, ah, is this thing available yet?

Jay Cunningham
03-17-10, 21:57
I'd like to get one - I really like most VLTOR stuff.