PDA

View Full Version : Which degreaser?

number1olddog
01-15-10, 18:58
I am going to have my buddy duracoat my (BCM) stripped upper receiver and stripped Spikes lower. I have already taken off all the parts to both upper and lower, minus the barrel but what I need to know is which degreaser I need. I know duracoat sales their own but I'm sure they have what I need at home depot or lowes. Anyone know which brand and what type?

bkb0000
01-15-10, 19:01
i use non-chlorinated break cleaner if i'm trying to not etch plastic.. or lacquor thinner if there's no plastic involved or i'll be painting the plastic. gives the plastic a nice etch to hold the paint.

SWATcop556
01-15-10, 19:52
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SLip-2000-725-Cleaner-Degreaser-p/slip2000%20725%20cleaner%204oz.htm

or the po' mans solution, Simple Green. :D

Tangotag
01-15-10, 20:25
Be careful with Simple Green, some people, more so in the aircraft maintenance industry, suspect that it is mildly corrosive to aluminum.
USAF test of Simple Green (http://www.avweb.com/other/usaf0020b1.pdf)
Using the hottest tap water you can tolerate and scrubbing with Dawn dishsoap on a toothbrush and rinsing off with the hot water might be the cheapest solution. I use this method for degreasing in prep before blasting in parkerizing steel and prep before painting GunKote.

TOMTOM
01-15-10, 20:37
a big +100 for Slip2000 725 degreaser. they make good products!

5pins
01-15-10, 22:17
Lacquer thinner will take off grease and oil like a pole dancer takes off clothes.

geminidglocker
01-15-10, 22:23
Brake Parts Cleaner (AKA Methylene Chloride). it's cheap, and as long as you use compressed air to blast it off, it works fine. Follow with oil ofcourse, and immidiately.;)

RogerinTPA
01-15-10, 22:25
Be careful with Simple Green, some people, more so in the aircraft maintenance industry, suspect that it is mildly corrosive to aluminum.
USAF test of Simple Green (http://www.avweb.com/other/usaf0020b1.pdf)
Using the hottest tap water you can tolerate and scrubbing with Dawn dishsoap on a toothbrush and rinsing off with the hot water might be the cheapest solution. I use this method for degreasing in prep before blasting in parkerizing steel and prep before painting GunKote.

It is, if left on the aluminum for more than 10 mins. I used it in the past, diluted, but just on the BCG for the most part. I have cleaned the upper and lower with it, but didn't leave it on for more than 5 to 10mins, rinsing with hot water, then hosing it out with WD40. They do make a version that is non corrosive to aluminum. After finding that it was corrosive, I use a combo of mineral spirits and brake cleaner. I have also used just WD40 on it's own.

From simple green's website:http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions_faqs.php?search_query=aluminum&search_query_backup=danger

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Iraqgunz
01-16-10, 00:01
I use Simple Green and hot water all the time. If it done properly and you don't leave it on, there is no problem. None of my guns have fallen apart as of yet.

herd48
01-16-10, 05:56
I've used a lot of Brownells moly-teflon bake on finishes. Nowadays I use non chlorinated brake cleaner to degrease prior to spraying. Like others have said. Inexpensive, and does a good job.

orionz06
01-16-10, 09:18
isopropyl alcohol is also pretty good. I have had some issues with simple green at full strength in the past on bare aluminum, but if used diluted, or for a short length of time, it will be ok.

Brake cleaner spray should be more than enough, just wear gloves and eye protection.

DSand
01-16-10, 09:37
If you're going to use brake parts cleaner, it's important to use one that's NON-chlorinated. The chlorine attacks stainless steel.

Ak44
01-17-10, 01:42
I use Slip2000 and works fine for me :cool:

RWK
01-17-10, 10:06
Another recommendation for non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It's inexpensive, too.

Robb Jensen
01-17-10, 10:43
I use Slip2000 752 degreaser and rinse with hot water, and repeat. It works very well.

Alpha Sierra
01-17-10, 11:01
Another recommendation for non-chlorinated brake cleaner. It's inexpensive, too.

+1

Works like a charm.

GeorgiaBoy
01-17-10, 11:25
CLP Powder Blast works good for me. Makes the metal bone-dry.

Gunner777
01-18-10, 00:04
Slip 2000 degreaser is my preference. In fact I pretty much use all the Slip 2000 products for all my weapons. It just works and will never hurt your gun or any person who might wander onto it like children. It's non toxic.

crazymoose
01-18-10, 04:04
Pure acetone. It works thoroughly, evaporates quickly, and costs about $2, if you can bring yourself to go into the nail polish and makeup section of Wal Mart.

bkb0000
01-18-10, 04:15
Pure acetone. It works thoroughly, evaporates quickly, and costs about $2, if you can bring yourself to go into the nail polish and makeup section of Wal Mart.

or you can get a manly gallon jug of it in a big manly tin can in the man-section at walmart...

Armati
01-18-10, 10:42
Scalding hot water and detergent (not soap). Dry with compressed air.

crazymoose
01-18-10, 15:50
or you can get a manly gallon jug of it in a big manly tin can in the man-section at walmart...

True, but the three or four oz. bottle I have is still almost full. A little really does go a long way. Besides, when you start buying chemicals like that in bulk, people might wonder if you're setting up to cook meth or something.