E-Mail News Alerts
Get breaking news and daily headlines.

Browse all e-mail newsletters
Related To Story

Gun Found At McCarran Airport Belonged To Officer
Law Enforcement Officer Not Cited, Police Say

POSTED: 5:51 pm PST January 15, 2010
UPDATED: 6:16 pm PST January 15, 2010

facebookdel.icio.usbuzzdiggreddit›› Email›› PrintLAS VEGAS -- A gun found inside a stall in a women’s restroom located past the security checkpoint on the C concourse at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas caused a hold to be placed on flights Friday, Metro police said.

Southwest flights on the C concourse were put on hold at 4:47 p.m. after an airport employee found the gun at about 4:40 p.m., said McCarran spokesman Glenn Gardner. Gardner said the owner of the gun was located soon after, and the hold on the flights was lifted at 5:02 p.m.

Metro police spokesman Bill Cassell said the gun belonged to a female law enforcement officer from a jurisdiction in another state who was leaving Las Vegas. He said the officer was traveling with the appropiate paperwork, and the weapon was returned to her.

Cassell said the officer did not receive a citation.

rhewitt
01-16-10, 01:06
SHE left it in a stall

Rider79
01-16-10, 04:42
Maybe it was that Secret Service agent from a few years ago who had her purse stolen with her gun once or twice and left her gun in the dressing room at a Washington mall once yet kept getting promoted. If I can find the article I'll post it.

Alpha Sierra
01-16-10, 08:01
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

CBTech
01-16-10, 08:44
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

Nice Animal Farm ref.

:p

RudyN
01-16-10, 13:08
I have seen that happen before. When I worked for the Court System in California, the parole board would use our jury rooms for certain hearings. After they had finished a hearing I went into the jury room to use the restroom. I looked up and the was a nice Stainless Steel .357 sitting on the back of the pot!! I let the Deputy who was in charge of security know and he had a fit to say the least!!! Luckily I was the one who found it.

Irish
01-16-10, 13:32
Cassell said the officer did not receive a citation.

Oops! I just forgot it... :eek:

dbrowne1
01-16-10, 13:55
I can understand and forgive a momentary lapse in memory - but with a gun in the sterile part of an airport? And no charges? They handed her the gun back?

I can also understand giving somebody some leniency given that it was an "honest" mistake and nothing bad came of it, but - and I don't want to make this an "us v. them" thing - I cannot even begin to imagine the judicial and media ass-reaming that anybody without a badge would have gotten if he left a gun in an airport bathroom (even in the non-sterile area).

woodandsteel
01-16-10, 13:56
SHE left it in a stall

It happens. You take it off, place it on the coat hook. And in your haste you forget. Perfectly understandable.:rolleyes:

What's even more exciting is when they grab the handgun, from the coat hook, and activate the trigger. That really gets peoples attention.

eta: rhewitt, the eye roll is directed at the officer in question. Not your comment.

rhewitt
01-17-10, 01:48
Na I know the eye roll is for the officer. I can understand that you set it down when you take your pants down but come on. You know you carry and no matter if you carried for a while or you just started you still know you have a pistol. And to just give it back NO WAY. This person just put 14+ people in danger. With everything that is going on in the world today this is really a huge lack in judgment. Just my two cents.

Rayrevolver
01-17-10, 04:24
Maybe it was that Secret Service agent from a few years ago who had her purse stolen with her gun once or twice and left her gun in the dressing room at a Washington mall once yet kept getting promoted. If I can find the article I'll post it.

I remember this person.

People are promoted to their level of incompetence... at least where I work. Seen it a hundred times.

Shane1
01-17-10, 07:57
The supervisor part of me says I hope her agency finds out and take appropiate disciplinary action against her.

Let me caveat this. I know mistakes/dumbassery happen, not only to LEO's but civilains also but with that said.

The Officer part of me says WTF!!!! Ill say it..what a dumbass. She has the SAOAFR. I mean come on. How do you not check your shit (no pun intended) before leaving the restroom? They should not have given her the gun back..make her f'in supervisor come get it, I dont care if they are in another state. OR mail it back to her Chief. Just freaking wrong. This is criminal negligence at least. :mad:

CoryCop25
01-17-10, 08:12
A couple of years ago, a detective having a lunch meeting at a Texas Roadhouse in the jurisdiction next to the town were I live, left his issued H&K USP .40 in the bathroom. Two hours after he left he realized it was missing. The gun has yet to be recovered.

I refuse to use public restrooms but sometimes, it can not be avoided. If I do have to use one, my weapon goes inside my pants. If I forget it, I will be surprised when I pull my pants up.

sabretom
01-17-10, 08:42
WTF! Cops can carry on-board? OK, no problem, I've never heard of a cop with issues. This dumbass should wear a gun to work, she obviously doesn't have the brains to wear a parer hat at work.

Yet, she's still more equal than me.

Palmguy
01-17-10, 09:38
I can understand and forgive a momentary lapse in memory - but with a gun in the sterile part of an airport? And no charges? They handed her the gun back?

I can also understand giving somebody some leniency given that it was an "honest" mistake and nothing bad came of it, but - and I don't want to make this an "us v. them" thing - I cannot even begin to imagine the judicial and media ass-reaming that anybody without a badge would have gotten if he left a gun in an airport bathroom (even in the non-sterile area).

/thread

DragonDoc
01-17-10, 10:01
It happens. You take it off, place it on the coat hook. And in your haste you forget. Perfectly understandable.:rolleyes:

That is why when I have to squat I always unholster and place my nine in my underwear. If I forget I will remember when I pull up my britches.

RWK
01-17-10, 10:02

Because you, like me, are a peasant and subject to a separate set of rules than the king's men. That make you feel better?

CarlosDJackal
01-17-10, 12:19
I don't understand why people have to unholster their handguns just to use the toilet?! :confused:

MarshallDodge
01-17-10, 12:25
I don't understand why people have to unholster their handguns just to use the toilet?! :confused:

I would be concerned about the person in the stall next to me reaching for it.

I do what CoryCop25 does, place it in my pant leg so that the weight of the gun will not let me forget.

dbrowne1
01-17-10, 13:02
Because you, like me, are a peasant and subject to a separate set of rules than the king's men. That make you feel better?

"Decency, security, and liberty alike demand that government officials shall be subjected to the same rules of conduct that are commands to the citizen. In a government of laws, existence of the government will be imperiled if it fails to observe the law scrupulously. Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example."

- Justice Louis Brandeis, 1928.

Irish
01-17-10, 13:38
WTF! Cops can carry on-board? OK, no problem, I've never heard of a cop with issues. This dumbass should wear a gun to work, she obviously doesn't have the brains to wear a parer hat at work.

Yet, she's still more equal than me.

I believe the reason is HR 218 or National Concealed Carry for Cops.

Rider79
01-17-10, 16:08
I believe the reason is HR 218 or National Concealed Carry for Cops.

HR218 still doesn't allow you to carry on a plane, you need to be on official business and have a documented need to be armed immediately upon landing.

Saginaw79
01-17-10, 16:30

All because she wears a badge so she is 'special' and not subject the the massive felony charges anyone else would have gotten for the problems caused

The guy who ducked under a rop at an airport got worse

"Decency, security, and liberty alike demand that government officials shall be subjected to the same rules of conduct that are commands to the citizen. In a government of laws, existence of the government will be imperiled if it fails to observe the law scrupulously. Our government is the potent, the omnipresent teacher. For good or for ill, it teaches the whole people by its example."

- Justice Louis Brandeis, 1928.

Well said!

Dienekes
01-17-10, 17:37
Broke an agent of keeping her Glock in an unlocked file cabinet instead of of her person or in a secure gun box when I was the firearms officer. Found the loaded gun when I was looking for a file; I secured it in my safe and let her (and her supervisor) sweat for a couple of hours to drive the lesson home. They didn't like me much afterwards but it never happened again, either.

On another occasion I found an MP5 that the local PD left unattended on the range. I secured it and after 10-15 minute found the instructors who 'forgot' it. Always thought I should have kept it for a day or so and then returned it to the chief of police.

Sometimes people just amaze you.

Dienekes
01-17-10, 17:46
Broke an agent of keeping her Glock in an unlocked file cabinet instead of of her person or in a secure gun box when I was the firearms officer. Found the loaded gun when I was looking for a file; I secured it in my safe and let her (and her supervisor) sweat for a couple of hours to drive the lesson home. They didn't like me much afterwards but it never happened again, either.

On another occasion I found an MP5 that the local PD left unattended on the range. I secured it and after 10-15 minute found the instructors who 'forgot' it. Always thought I should have kept it for a day or so and then returned it to the chief of police.

Sometimes people just amaze you.

ST911
01-17-10, 18:19
These events will continue until (at least) two things happen.

The first- Officers/agents must recognize...and appreciate...that their firearm is an essential piece of life saving equipment whose operation must be mastered. It is not simply a duty accessory to be inconvenienced by. This is incredibly difficult, given the apathy and occasional hatred administrations have of their arms programs, and of the warriors that we would hope members of service would become.

The second- Administrators must take swift and decisive action against officers who are careless with their firearms. Extended unpaid suspensions following lost guns or negligent discharges help, but are rare. As are loss of privileges or intangibles, and reassignment.

CoryCop25
01-17-10, 21:49
OK, I am going to tread on VERY thin ice here..... I DO BELIEVE THAT WHAT THAT OFFICER DID WAS NOT VERY SMART to say the least. What I do want to throw in here is that if there is ANY defense for this officer, it is this...
As a firearms instructor for my department, there are two groups of officers when it comes to firearms. Group ONE are the shooters and the officers that take shooting and the care and practice with the weapons seriously. Like most of the people here, cop or no cop. Group TWO are the cop because it is a job and firearms training is taking time out of my fantasy football pool cop. For some, a firearm is a necessary piece of equipment that they are required to carry and if they were given the option, they wouldn't.
What I'm getting at here, is that this officer didn't think to secure her weapon because it is not a priority to her. Maybe the administrator who decided not to charge or reprimand her has the same views as she does.
If she would have performed a press check and re-holstered after her firearm was un-holstered and placed out of her hands for a moment, she wouldn't be in this situation.

yallknowho
01-18-10, 01:55
OK, I am going to tread on VERY thin ice here..... I DO BELIEVE THAT WHAT THAT OFFICER DID WAS NOT VERY SMART to say the least. What I do want to throw in here is that if there is ANY defense for this officer, it is this...
As a firearms instructor for my department, there are two groups of officers when it comes to firearms. Group ONE are the shooters and the officers that take shooting and the care and practice with the weapons seriously. Like most of the people here, cop or no cop. Group TWO are the cop because it is a job and firearms training is taking time out of my fantasy football pool cop. For some, a firearm is a necessary piece of equipment that they are required to carry and if they were given the option, they wouldn't.
What I'm getting at here, is that this officer didn't think to secure her weapon because it is not a priority to her. Maybe the administrator who decided not to charge or reprimand her has the same views as she does.
If she would have performed a press check and re-holstered after her firearm was un-holstered and placed out of her hands for a moment, she wouldn't be in this situation.

people in group two shouldn't be cops.

CoryCop25
01-18-10, 17:51
people in group two shouldn't be cops.

You hit the nail right on the head! You would be surprised how many fit the group two category.

Spiffums
01-18-10, 19:32
A couple of years ago, a detective having a lunch meeting at a Texas Roadhouse in the jurisdiction next to the town were I live, left his issued H&K USP .40 in the bathroom. Two hours after he left he realized it was missing. The gun has yet to be recovered.

I refuse to use public restrooms but sometimes, it can not be avoided. If I do have to use one, my weapon goes inside my pants. If I forget it, I will be surprised when I pull my pants up.

You are a member of the Do Your Big Jobs At Home Club for men I see. Always nice to meet another member.