PDA

View Full Version : field gear

hazmat25
01-16-10, 23:07
hello all, sort of new here but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge and i need to tap into that for a minute. To all that have ideas: could you recommend gear to a soon to be soldier that i may use in the field that the military doesnt provide? anything that you have found helpful? i want the best of the best since my life will depend on my gear, i have already purchased a small surefire flash light, leatherman multi tool, beanchmade folding knife, surefire weapon light and good socks. thanks for the ideas.

Ak44
01-16-10, 23:08
Headlamp with a red lens
http://www.skdtac.com/Petzl_TACTIKKA_XP_Headlamp_p/pzl.304.htm

Iraq Ninja
01-16-10, 23:15
Depends on what your MOS is. Can you be a bit more specific?

hazmat25
01-16-10, 23:18
USAF Security Forces

Ak44
01-16-10, 23:32
Good quality duty belt and holster. I take it that your sidearm will be a Beretta m9?

hazmat25
01-16-10, 23:39
I am assuming that it will be, from what ive been told they issue safariland 6004 thigh holsters.

Ak44
01-16-10, 23:42
You going to be an actual Airman not a Contractor right? I wonder if your unit would care if you used a different holster. Also get some good soles for your boots, look into super feet soles (the green ones).

hazmat25
01-16-10, 23:48
yes an actual airman. im just waiting for someone to say a good lawn chair with a cooler lol. i was thinking about buying my own boots, specifically the danner USAF acadia if they are allowed

PlatoCATM
01-16-10, 23:48
You're an Airman, or will be. My recommendation is a fisher space pen (cap-o-matic model for matte finish). I'm not kidding, you'll need a pen that works all the time, and one that is cheap enough to replace when your so-called battle buddy "acquires" [steals] it. You may opt for a couple of aftermarket pouches for specific uses, but you'll have to use issued gear in many cases, so hold off on any of that. When you finally get issued your own M4, buy a sharpie paint pen and witness mark all the settings and screw placements. Invest in a carbine course if you have access to a carbine; proper rifle-fighting techniques are not taught by most combat arms shops. PM me if you ever need specific info on career-field stuff. I'm heading to 7-level school in a couple of weeks.

hazmat25
01-16-10, 23:54
i currently own 2 ar's, work armed security and have a 2 year LE degree so weapon familurization is not a problem. I'm not sure what 7-level school is though

Ak44
01-16-10, 23:56
Danners are nice, I wear the Danner USMC boots when I'm out and about on my friends farm. Smartwool socks are a nice addition to good soles in boots. Yes a good pen will be a nice plus, you can buy the Fisher Space pen at most PXs or Commissaries. Buy yourself a good cleaning kit for 9mm and 5.56 if they don't issue you an otis cleaning kit, buy an otis cleaning kit. And also a good sling if you have to carry your M4 on duty.

hazmat25
01-17-10, 00:01
Danners are nice, I wear the Danner USMC boots when I'm out and about on my friends farm. Smartwool socks are a nice addition to good soles in boots. Yes a good pen will be a nice plus, you can buy the Fisher Space pen at most PXs or Commissaries. Buy yourself a good cleaning kit for 9mm and 5.56 if they don't issue you an otis cleaning kit, buy an otis cleaning kit. And also a good sling if you have to carry your M4 on duty.

danners are awesome, i wear them now (and have for the last 5 years) and love them. I was going to wait until after basic to order an otis kit and i have a vickers 2-point sling i was going to have mailed to me after basic

Ak44
01-17-10, 00:02
Sounds like your off to a good start :) Have fun at Basic.

hazmat25
01-17-10, 00:06
Sounds like your off to a good start :) Have fun at Basic.

thanks, I'm really looking forward to it

bjw182005
01-17-10, 01:20
Dont expect to use much of your own gear. As of now the only approved and issued holster that i know of for your issue M9 is the safariland 6004. As for boots, yes, the danners are one of the best out there right now. The Danner TFX desert boots are good to go, buy the Gortex model or be prepared to waterproof your boots fairly often.
Again, your own personal gear will more than likely not be authorized unless you can get the go ahead from your leadership. Be prepared, depending on your first duty station to either wear some decent gear, or some plain old garbage. There are a few places still issuing out black duty belts, but for the most part, i believe they have started to issue the DFLCS for home station and deployment use. When you get to where youre going find out what gear youll be issued and go from there. Keep in mind what they dont know wont hurt them. If the gear you buy is similar, works better and is something youre willing to stake your life on, then use it.

DO NOT put your new Vickers 2 point sling on your issue M4 for home station use. The first time you go to turn it in, it will disappear. Most gear left on your issued weapon that is not government issue, will go bye bye quickly.

good luck to you.

hazmat25
01-17-10, 01:25
DO NOT put your new Vickers 2 point sling on your issue M4 for home station use. The first time you go to turn it in, it will disappear. Most gear left on your issued weapon that is not government issue, will go bye bye quickly.

good luck to you.[/QUOTE]

that is what ive heard, if you want to keep the personal gear you put on your weapon, take it off before you turn it in for the day. does anyone know if the danner boots are approved for USAF uniform wear?

Ak44
01-17-10, 01:30
It's really dependent on your Command on what gear you can use. Guys in my platoon were using different holsers and slings in Iraq. I wore Converse boots when I was in Iraq but of course when BN Higher ups came by our FOB, I put back on my Bates...Your right though, I took off my Tangodown vfg when I turned my weapon back into the armory cause I know the armorers would yank that thing off and keep it in a heartbeat. I would lay low until you were in your unit for awhile before you used your own gear, lord knows no body wants to be "that guy".

hazmat25
01-17-10, 01:34
It's really dependent on your Command on what gear you can use. Guys in my platoon were using different holsers and slings in Iraq. I wore Converse boots when I was in Iraq but of course when BN Higher ups came by our FOB, I put back on my Bates...Your right though, I took off my Tangodown vfg when I turned my weapon back into the armory cause I know the armorers would yank that thing off and keep it in a heartbeat. I would lay low until you were in your unit for awhile before you used your own gear, lord knows no body wants to be "that guy".

yeah i dont want to be "that guy" on base. im just talking about gear you've found helpful on deployments

Ak44
01-17-10, 01:37
Haz do you think you'll be more likely to be CONUS or Overseas in your MOS?

hazmat25
01-17-10, 01:38
not sure, both are on my "wish list"

Ak44
01-17-10, 01:47
If you go overseas I'm sure you can get away with more. There's alot of stuff people can suggest but until you figure out where your going and how strict your command is I guess you'll just have to play it by ear and wait and see.

hazmat25
01-17-10, 01:49
If you go overseas I'm sure you can get away with more. There's alot of stuff people can suggest but until you figure out where your going and how strict your command is I guess you'll just have to play it by ear and wait and see.

sounds good, like i said I'm more worried about gear for deployments as well as stuff that will just make my job and military life in general "easier".

Ak44
01-17-10, 01:52
Another thing you'll notice is that just cause people suggest x, y, or z gear/item it may work for them but it may not work for you. Sometimes it'll boil down to guess and check. Best of luck and thanks for your Service. :cool:

hazmat25
01-17-10, 01:56
thank you for the advice and your support

Failure2Stop
01-17-10, 02:03
Guys, let's remember what the question was and who is asking it. If you have not been in the USAF, your input is probably less than useful to the OP.

OP- you might want to complete training and see what you are issued before trying to "improve" any of it. I would pay close attention to what PlatoCATM has to say since he is a switched-on zoomie.

hazmat25
01-17-10, 02:14
i know the military issues gear based on what is currently used in the field but i also know there is tradition and " lowest bidder" mindset that isn't always reflecting the needs of the soldier. yes i have yet to complete training and cant wait for the day i do, but my thinking is if i dont i will atleast have the items i could possibly use in an LEO career god forbid i dont make it (and can get an LEO job) as well as having the oppertunity to purchase items and have them shipped to my home now instead of dealing with the "lack of" and discovering what i may need later. any advice from a former/current zoomie in the security forces field is welcome

Jake0331
01-17-10, 05:10
Garmin Etrex or other simple handheld GPS. Even if you're issued a military GPS, the Garmin will be much easier to use. You should wait until you complete all your schooling first. Don't be a gear queer.

bjw182005
01-18-10, 13:53
Hazmat-

You can PM me for more information if you need it. Active Duty SF. PlatoCATM is also good to go for information.

PlatoCATM
02-02-10, 20:47
I'm seeing all the guys in security forces tech school wearing Serpa holsters. I don't know why they chose this holster when I have never seen it issued to a regular unit or in theater (perhaps cost). This does not mean, however, that you can plan on bringing your safariland holster with you to tech school; you have to wear the gear they issue for school. You may get away with a good belt with stiffener, but be forewarned that they may do integrity checks at times and check stupid shit like belt uniformity.

hazmat25
02-03-10, 16:57
Yeah I'm just looking for ideas for gear that one has found helpful on deployments like a multi tool or baby wipes. things along those lines