PDA

View Full Version : First M&P movie appearance?

RWK
01-17-10, 00:17
Saw "The Book of Eli" today. The main character carried an M&P pistol. Out of curiosity, does anyone happen to know if this was the first appearance of an M&P in a major film?

SWATcop556
01-17-10, 00:36
Looked like an HK to me.

RyanB
01-17-10, 00:47
I also thought it was an HK.

Ak44
01-17-10, 00:50
http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Book_of_Eli%2C_The

Appears to be an HK45

warpigM-4
01-17-10, 01:36
yelp HK I noticed in the new 24 Jack has seem to dump the sig and picked up a HK

Alpha Sierra
01-17-10, 08:04
yelp HK I noticed in the new 24 Jack has seem to dump the sig and picked up a HK

Does he still cup and saucer?

Oscar 319
01-17-10, 08:47
Not much of a movie buff, but didn't John McClaine (Bruce Willis) replace his Beretta 92 with an M&P in the last Die Hard, or was it an XD (please say no). I can't remember other than it was not the 92.

karandom
01-17-10, 08:52
You guys might get a kick out of this page.

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Palmguy
01-17-10, 09:08

That happened like 5 or 6 years ago. He's been using a USP9c for quite some time now.

Not much of a movie buff, but didn't John McClaine (Bruce Willis) replace his Beretta 92 with an M&P in the last Die Hard, or was it an XD (please say no). I can't remember other than it was not the 92.

He started out with a Sig of some kind (220 or 226). Ended up with a PX4.

ChicagoTex
01-17-10, 09:12

SIG P220R (http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Live_Free_or_Die_Hard)

It's just as well the M&P didn't make it's first major film appearance in Book of Eli - it was a categorically awful film I'd hate to see inexorably linked with such a stellar gun (not that an HK45 ISN'T stellar, it's just that HKs already have a fairly unshakeable rep).

RWK
01-17-10, 09:50
Apparently I should start wearing my glasses... :o

loupav
01-17-10, 11:26
So how was the movie?

M4arc
01-17-10, 11:59
Okay, I guess I'll have to get an HK45 now! :D

It has about the same amount of wear & tear on it as ToddG's P30 but I suspect it doesn't have the same amount of rounds through it :p

ToddG
01-17-10, 12:59
But his HK45 apparently holds more rounds than my P30, at least in the one "cowboy showdown" scene.

I'd give the movie a very generous C+.

M4arc
01-17-10, 14:27
But his HK45 apparently holds more rounds than my P30, at least in the one "cowboy showdown" scene.

I'd give the movie a very generous C+.

His HK45 probably had a 30 round "clip" hence the seemingly endless amount of rounds fired.

RWK
01-17-10, 14:34
So how was the movie?

I enjoyed it. Refreshing concept for a post-apocalyptic story. One of the camera shots near the end rankled me a bit but, I don't want to post a spoiler for those who may want to see it but haven't yet. Some people have posted some pretty scathing reviews but, I'm not really sure what they expected to begin with.

Please don't tell me you actually counted the rounds fired... :p

JackOSU
01-17-10, 15:07
That happened like 5 or 6 years ago. He's been using a USP9c for quite some time now.

He started out with a Sig of some kind (220 or 226). Ended up with a PX4.

In the scene where he gets the kid in his apartment I could of sworn he had the HK45. When it slides across the floor and when he does a reload with the guy shooting through the walls etc inside the apartment the slide serrations and grip look awfully like an HK45. I did notice that his firearm seemed to change a few times during the movie even though it was supposed to be the same firearm. I don't understand why directors miss this so often. I've even seen movies or shows on tv for that matter when in one scene there's two different handguns between camera angles/shots. Very bad in my opinion unless this is done on purpose???

ChicagoTex
01-17-10, 15:36
I've even seen movies or shows on tv for that matter when in one scene there's two different handguns between camera angles/shots.

Bourne Ultimatum, anyone?

It's a Glock! No, wait, it's a SIG! No, look there, it's a Glock!

Repeat ad nauseum.

CaptainDooley
01-17-10, 18:20
I can't remember which show, but either "Flash Forward" or "V" the same thing this season. In the first episode all of the FBI agents had Sigs. In the very next episode they all had Glocks. So annoying.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-17-10, 20:03
Hey, if I was carrying a 45 to the apocalypse, it would definitely be the HK45.

warpigM-4
01-17-10, 23:53
Hey, if I was carrying a 45 to the apocalypse, it would definitely be the HK45.

AMEN to that

warpigM-4
01-17-10, 23:53
yelp I think so he did it in the Movie Mirrors:D

He started out with a Sig of some kind (220 or 226). Ended up with a PX4. I stopped watching after the second season I didn't know I wonder why they changed weapons

xm8
01-18-10, 18:11
yelp I think so he did it in the Movie Mirrors:D

I stopped watching after the second season I didn't know I wonder why they changed weapons

I don't have a source for this but apparently the USP worked much better with blanks.

And Jack Bauer can hold his pistol however he pleases. In fact the cup and saucer should be renamed the Jack Bauer grip. :D

warpigM-4
01-18-10, 20:18
I don't have a source for this but apparently the USP worked much better with blanks.

And Jack Bauer can hold his pistol however he pleases. In fact the cup and saucer should be renamed the Jack Bauer grip. :D

:D:D:D:D:DI vote they rename it

ralph
01-18-10, 20:49
:D:D:D:D:DI vote they rename it

OK, I give up...Could someone please explain the "cup and saucer" grip?? I'll admit I don't keep up with current TV shows..

Lumpy196
01-19-10, 10:23
OK, I give up...Could someone please explain the "cup and saucer" grip?? I'll admit I don't keep up with current TV shows..

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/Palm_Supportet_Grip.jpg

Idiot shooting technique utilized extensively by TV and movie actors until the early to mid 1990s.

The mark of an amateur. Jack Blower being the exception due to all the man-crushes on him.

decodeddiesel
01-19-10, 10:55

This.

ralph
01-19-10, 12:12
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/Palm_Supportet_Grip.jpg

Idiot shooting technique utilized extensively by TV and movie actors until the early to mid 1990s.

The mark of an amateur. Jack Blower being the exception due to all the man-crushes on him.

I can't bring the pic up..All I get is the red"X"...

silentsod
01-19-10, 18:32
I can't bring the pic up..All I get is the red"X"...

Your support hand curls and grips under the gun and up on your strong hand.

Strong hand and gun are the cup, support hand is the saucer.

John_Wayne777
01-19-10, 18:49

You know how a cup sits on a saucer?

Think of your left hand as the saucer and the right hand as the cup. The base of the gun rests on the flat of the weak palm while the fingers reach up and grasp around the base of the gun.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/cupnsaucer.jpg

It's utterly worthless from the perspective of actually controlling the weapon.

Shadow1198
01-19-10, 19:38
Well at least one actor that got it pretty much right, or close at least:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/d/d6/TermSalv_038.jpg/600px-TermSalv_038.jpg

ralph
01-19-10, 20:34
You know how a cup sits on a saucer?

Think of your left hand as the saucer and the right hand as the cup. The base of the gun rests on the flat of the weak palm while the fingers reach up and grasp around the base of the gun.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/cupnsaucer.jpg

It's utterly worthless from the perspective of actually controlling the weapon.

Yup, you're right..utterly worthless..Thanks for explaining that for me guys..