PDA

View Full Version : Quick question regarding AR lower sales

BAC
01-17-10, 11:31
As the title indicates, I finally have a brief question. :D

Is there anything I need to do in order to sell a stripped AR-15 lower receiver to another individual? Would it count as a personal sale wherein no FFL need be bothered, or should I go through an FFL 'just in case'?

Thanks.

-B

GaryXD
01-17-10, 11:39
As far as federal law is concerned a FFL would not be required as long as you sold it to an eligible person that resides in the same state you do.

BAC
01-17-10, 11:50
Then the FFL would only come into play if he/we insisted on it, or if I sold it to someone out of state?

-B

AMMOTECH
01-17-10, 11:54
I sold off a Spikes lower to a co-woker last year and to cover both of us I did up a "Bill of Sale" to show where the lower went. If the BATF/ local cops come to me because the lower was used in a crime then I'll show them the BOS. It's got the guy's name and D/L # on it.

bkb0000
01-17-10, 11:54
i don't even do bills-of-sale anymore. people like being able to have no paper trail leading to them and guns, so why the hell not let them have that?

BAC
01-17-10, 11:56
That's ironic, because it's my Spikes Tactical lower I want to sell. :D

Thanks for your help guys. Time to make my first post in the Equipment Exchange.

-B

seb5
01-17-10, 12:14
Over the last 20 + years I would not even be able to guess how many guns I've bought and sold. I've never bought them with the intent to resale. I just always`wanted something else. Even if the feds came to me and said one I had purchased was used in a crime I couldn't do or say anything other than I bought it, and either later traded it or sold it to buy something else. Nothing illegal, immoral, or unethical.

CarlosDJackal
01-17-10, 12:23
Unless it's someone who I know and trust, I also do a Bill of Sale in two copies (one for me and one for the buyer). If someone I do not know refuses to sign it, then the deal is off.

This is purely a CYA move. I'd like to be able to tell an Investigator who I sold the gun to just in case it's used in the commission of a crime.

Failure2Stop
01-17-10, 16:30
Question has been answered.

I am closing this down before it gets silly.

Iraqgunz
01-17-10, 17:48
One small point. If you buy a stripped lower from a dealer you must be 21 not 18 (as it is not yet a rifle/ long gun) and you cannot buy stripped lowers out of state as far as I know unless you go through an FFL. Whether this applies in this situation, I am not entirely sure.

As the title indicates, I finally have a brief question. :D

Is there anything I need to do in order to sell a stripped AR-15 lower receiver to another individual? Would it count as a personal sale wherein no FFL need be bothered, or should I go through an FFL 'just in case'?

Thanks.

-B