PDA

View Full Version : Best AR sling setup for a ‘lefty’?

rainman
01-17-10, 14:00
I’m cross-dominant, shoot rifle/shotgun left-handed, and am looking for the best sling setup for my ARs.

Slings that I’ve tried over the years include…
Stock / whatever came with a Colt Sporter HBar.
Worked okay I suppose.

Wilderness/Giles 3-point.
Quit using long ago…although I didn’t experience any malfunctions, I never got comfortable with all of the buckles and webbing so close to the ejection port.

Single Point, attached to Vltor Modstock/front (closest to receiver) eyelet.
Like them, work okay for range-use, but as has been pointed out, not very good for controlling the rifle when transitioning to sidearm or for slinging/carrying (i.e. what is a sling is frequently used for).

Two Point (e.g. Viking Tactics, LaRue)…forward swivel attached to railed fore-end as close to receiver as possible.
Liking this setup but still concerned about interfering with the ejection port by having the front swivel close to the receiver, where most people seem to run them. I’ve tried moving the forward swivel closer to the business-end of the rifle, but that starts to interfere with hand position on my VFG and access to my light.

I’m soliciting advice from people who run an AR portside as to what their setup is.

I like the 2-point slings…am I being paranoid about running the front swivel too close to the receiver/ejection port? Would middle of the railed fore-end be a sensible compromise?:confused:

Many thanks in advance!

-Rainman

User Name
01-17-10, 14:16
Wilderness/Giles 3-point.
Quit using long ago…although I didn’t experience any malfunctions, I never got comfortable with all of the buckles and webbing so close to the ejection port.

I am a cross dominant shooter as well (lefty) I had the above mentioned sling cause a malfunction. The spent brass hit the "buckles and webbing" and popped the empty case right into the ejection port. Since then I have single points exclusively.

one417
01-17-10, 14:29
As a lefty, I too have gone away from a three point sling (years ago). I use a couple of (one/two point) convertible sling systems and have the forward mount to the rear of my rail systems. I've found no ejection port issues when the slings are mounted just forward of the upper receiver.

citizensoldier16
01-17-10, 16:18
The Magpul MS2 sling can be applied for both left and right handers. I would suggest checking it out as a combo single/double point.

A-Bear680
01-17-10, 16:37
The Vicker's 2 point works well for the 2 cross-dom people at our house.

seb5
01-17-10, 16:51
I prefer the BFG 2 points as a lefty, or a righty! I like mine attached to a rail on theright side right in front of the receiver and the right side of the stock, usually magpul or Vlyor. I also prefer QD's on all points.

Dump1567
01-17-10, 17:24
VTAC padded two point on right side of rifle. I prefer the front attached closer to the front sight, but it interferes with my light. I really like the quick adjustment on these.

Move things around and see what works for you while running the rifle.

rainman
01-18-10, 20:06
Many thanks to those who've read and replied.

Sounds like the 2-point is the way to go, and not worry too much about interference with the ejection port. I'll continue to try in a variety of positions/situations.

-Rainman

MrCleanOK
01-18-10, 21:09
I think you're on the right track. I'm a lefty, been running a 2-point Vickers from Modstock to receiver end of the rail with no problems.

YammyMonkey
01-19-10, 00:03
I run a 2 point close to the receiver up front & attached to a single point sling plate in the rear. Somthing like the ASAP that allows the rear sling attachment to freely move from side to side helps with those transitions. I don't have to slack out my sling to go from left to right & I can keep the sling tight enough that the stock is right by my shoulder pocket.

You have to be careful when malfunction clearing though as rolling the gun ejection port down can cause the sling to ride up over the top of the receiver extension & interfere with the charging handle.

Iraq Ninja
01-19-10, 08:37
I am a lefty.

I didn't read where you mentioned what purpose or function your rifle is for, so I assume you are a civilian.

The Vickers is the Clydesdale of slings- big and strong if you don't mind the bulk. Bulk can be good depending on your purpose.

The Endom/MM sling is the Mustang- Fast and lightweight. Probably the fastest slider on the market. Also works very well when soaking wet, unlike some others.

VTAC/ LaRue- kinda in between the Vickers and the Endom.

Lefties should never use a 3 point sling. I find it hard to recommend a 3 pointer even for righties.

ForTehNguyen
01-19-10, 08:48
The Magpul MS2 sling can be applied for both left and right handers. I would suggest checking it out as a combo single/double point.

yea i really like slings that you can switch from single to two. Magpul is replacing the MS2 with the MS3 (phosphate finish, triangle loop instead of circle)

dcs12345
01-19-10, 11:33
I run a Vickers on the right side with a quick detach sling swivel on my DD Omega rail near the receiver and a sloted end plate.

I have had zero issues with ejected cases.

scubadds
01-19-10, 17:53
I am lefty and went with the magpul.
It seem to be versatile system, but haven't shot it yet.

Not sure if you saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYsl1XrsNc

edwin907
01-19-10, 17:57
Never had a problem with the 2 point even on this 10.5" MRP, which places the sling pretty close to the ejection port.
This little LMT rocks, add the 16" SS barrel and the 4X ACOG and it does a pretty good Recce impersonation as well. Perfect for the SHTF kit (PVS-14 & IR laser included).

http://bellsouthpwp.net/e/d/edwin907/_A156447.jpg

rainman
01-19-10, 20:31
I am a lefty.

I didn't read where you mentioned what purpose or function your rifle is for, so I assume you are a civilian.

The Vickers is the Clydesdale of slings- big and strong if you don't mind the bulk. Bulk can be good depending on your purpose.

The Endom/MM sling is the Mustang- Fast and lightweight. Probably the fastest slider on the market. Also works very well when soaking wet, unlike some others.

VTAC/ LaRue- kinda in between the Vickers and the Endom.

Lefties should never use a 3 point sling. I find it hard to recommend a 3 pointer even for righties.

Yes, I am a civilian.

I already own a VTAC/LaRue so going to play with that for awhile. The EMDOM looks very interesting...may have to try that.

The 3 point falls in the category of "seemed like a good idea at the time"...didn't last long at all! :rolleyes:

Again, thanks to all who've replied. The level of experience available on this forum is outstanding.

-Rainman

rojocorsa
10-19-12, 02:11
Guys, using search, I found this thread. I'm researching slings, and I'm also LH--and I have no idea where to start.

The most experience I have with slings is using the USGI sling on my M-1 rifle (or the 1907).

I have no idea how slings are used in the context of AR shooting or where they're mounted. I know there are so many places; I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I need to find out if I will need a different endplate before I finish up putting my lower together.

Thanks.

Mall Ninja OCD
10-19-12, 02:37

+1 on this. I think the MS2 would be the best way to go.

seb5
10-19-12, 08:23
Guys, using search, I found this thread. I'm researching slings, and I'm also LH--and I have no idea where to start.

The most experience I have with slings is using the USGI sling on my M-1 rifle (or the 1907).

I have no idea how slings are used in the context of AR shooting or where they're mounted. I know there are so many places; I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I need to find out if I will need a different endplate before I finish up putting my lower together.

Thanks.

What type of rifle are you building? What type of shooting will you be doing? I put Noveske end plates on all of my builds but rarely if ever use them as I prefer the back of the sling attached to the stock.

As an inexpensive alternative I suggest you buy a Blue Force Gear Victory sling. They can be found usually for around $30.00 and try it out. This will tell you more than we can. I've used both BFG and Viking and still have both but prefer the adjustment tab on the BFG so that is my default type.

rojocorsa
10-19-12, 12:24
What type of rifle are you building? What type of shooting will you be doing? I put Noveske end plates on all of my builds but rarely if ever use them as I prefer the back of the sling attached to the stock.

As an inexpensive alternative I suggest you buy a Blue Force Gear Victory sling. They can be found usually for around $30.00 and try it out. This will tell you more than we can. I've used both BFG and Viking and still have both but prefer the adjustment tab on the BFG so that is my default type.

http://www.google.com/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7004/6482746943_4ccae520f2_z.jpg&sa=X&ei=wIuBUI3uGe_DiwKD5YDQDA&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHxppWH2CwMXBiOrD4IVtQBJk-SrQ

I'm building a carbine that's 95% similar to this one. (I dont have the optic because money doesn't grow on trees, and I haven't bought my upper half because I gotta save up for that too.)

My use for this would be a general purpose defensive weapon. On this site, they emphasize how important slings are to have. I think my problem comes from the fact that IDK how slings are used in dynamic shooting.

I just wanted to ask about them so I can plan ahead and need to know whether I'll need a special endplate before I fully torque it in and stake it. (My lower half is pretty much complete at this point.)

White.Lightning
10-19-12, 14:36
I am lefty and went with the magpul.
It seem to be versatile system, but haven't shot it yet.

Not sure if you saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcYsl1XrsNc

Nice vid. I am looking at the MS3/ASAP combo as well. I am a left handed shooter too.

cop1211
10-19-12, 19:28
I'm a lefty, I use the urban ert 2/1 slings.

thehun
10-19-12, 21:45
I've tried 2-point, 3-point and Single Point....What has been the most practical and comfortable is a single point with my Stark Grip...makes transitions :dance3: as a lefty...its perfect for me...if I was righty...i'd probably have a 2-point

3 AE
10-20-12, 01:31
I too am cross dominant, lefty on the carbine, righty on the pistol. Have used a Blue Force Gear Padded VCAS sling on both of my carbines for the last couple of years. Like Iraq Ninja mentioned, they are "robust" for what they do. Never had a problem with the slings interfering with the ejected casings.

Living in the "rain belt" of the Pacific Northwest, I just had to experiment with soaked slings. Ran one sling dry and the other soaking wet. The wet VCAS ran even smoother while I ran the acetal slider back and forth while doing transitions from strong side to weak side. The slider "squeegeed" the water out of the material and everything ran just fine.

Sometimes you just have to take the advice of our more experienced members and run with it. If it works out, great, you can howl at the moon. If it doesn't,..... "Hey Hon, how much we have in our checking account?!!" :D

Fuzzy-Reticle
10-20-12, 18:37
Being a true left handed shooter (pistol and rifle) I have tried all the the all above and the best solution for me is a Vickers sling. The worst setup was an HK factory sling on a HK94/93. That damn sling never worked for me the way it did for my right handed friends.

The Vickers sling works fantastic and alows me to transition to my right side quickly and efficiently. It also allows me to switch to my pistol and does not get in the way.

I does everything I need it to do and is inexpensive and KISS. YMMV.

HMM
10-20-12, 20:50
Savvy sniper has one for a lefty. I ordered one and like it. Top notch customer service too. The missed my e-mail and hooked me up once it was noticed. Went over the top with the apology.