PDA

View Full Version : Your best/favorite mods

liftman
01-17-10, 15:19
I'd like to get a thread going of your best/favorite mods that you've done to your blasters. Anything goes, from polishing your trigger group to stocks, scopes, paint jobs, lasers and lights, grips.........

You name it what have you done and why do you like it. I know a lot of this will show personal preference, and or how the weapon is put to use, so call that out aswell. What, and how do you use it, and how the mods have helped in those areas.

Also if you can share how you ended up with the mods that you did.

And include pics if you can.

This should be interesting to see, and should give a broad spectrum of products and uses.

AMMOTECH
01-17-10, 15:33
LMT SOPMOD stock.
I've shot the A2, standard carbine and Magpul CTR and found that I like the LMT best.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/AMMOTECH/STA72396.jpg

liftman
01-17-10, 15:37
How is that in comparison weight wise to the A2 and the CTR? Somewhere in the middle by the looks of it. If thats the case I would guess that some of your choice has to do with weight ballance?

AMMOTECH
01-17-10, 15:48
How is that in comparison weight wise to the A2 and the CTR? Somewhere in the middle by the looks of it. If thats the case I would guess that some of your choice has to do with weight ballance?

It's a bit heavier then the CTR but I picked it for the best cheek weld of the three.

Failure2Stop
01-17-10, 16:03
12" handguards.
They really bring the gun together.

LMT charging handle. The Gunfighter CH might be just as good or maybe even better, but I have not used them and I really like the LMTs.

Ambi Selector.
Makes bilateral work more uniform and applying the safety is faster and easier.

Redi-Mod
Adds some weight, but makes reloads Forrest Gump fast.

Ak44
01-17-10, 16:23
Noveske QD Endplate....It gives me a better sling mount for my single point and its very low profile.

Tango Down Pistol Grip....Very slim and no duck bill in the grip plus it has a battery compartment

Quib
01-17-10, 16:47
A couple of mine.....

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1578

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1579

rob_s
01-17-10, 16:48
Replace A2 grip with Magpul MOE
Aimpoint
Surefire
BFG Vickers Sling

Done. Anything else is gravy.

steeltoe
01-17-10, 18:26
Troy MRF-CX

Adds the right length and much better at heat dissipation.

sdacbob
01-17-10, 19:15
I too like the LMT SOPMOD stock. I've used the old Car15 style, the new M4 style, the Magpul CTR, and Vltor EMod stocks. Of them all I prefer the LMT SOPMOD.

bkb0000
01-17-10, 20:13
my most recent "a-hah!" came from Rustoleum Textured spray paint

i'm not big on stippling- just makes your gear cling to you and tears your shit up.. grip tape is of limited usability and does basically the same thing.. but then i found this stuff on clearance at wallmart. these are the only pics i have so far, but i've done a VFG, a muzzle device, some magazines and these handguards

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/141/l_143a1c3f95584f388f21db87257bc355.jpg
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/152/l_d110aee07daa4993826f60725bbdf81b.jpg

great camo paint, and the texture adds grip but isn't abrasive. the grippiness seems to last for a while, too. when/if it stops being grippy, just mist it again.

DSand
01-17-10, 20:17
Magpul MIAD grip and MOE stock

Pappabear
01-17-10, 20:43
LMT Sopmod and Trigger work

then Vertical grip, Larue if you must know.

m4fun
01-17-10, 21:01
Quib - pretty cool.

bkb0000 - interested in knowing how that "paint" job holds up.

LWRC Piston Upper/Rail is my favorite mod.

S391
01-17-10, 21:37
Magpul CTR and a Magpul BAD....... they make nice stuff.

liftman
01-17-10, 21:40
I would also like to know how that paint works out. But then again it's not like you couldn't spray it again. Along the same lines I wonder how the automotive spray on ruberized undercoating would do. A little thicker than paint but would be more durable.

bkb0000
01-17-10, 23:09
bkb0000 - interested in knowing how that "paint" job holds up.

I would also like to know how that paint works out. But then again it's not like you couldn't spray it again. Along the same lines I wonder how the automotive spray on ruberized undercoating would do. A little thicker than paint but would be more durable.

so far so good. the handguards were the first i tried it on, about a month ago. i baked on three heavy coats, so the stuff is on there thick. it'll last a long time, but i think the thicker the coat, the less grippy it gets. i did one coat on the magazines, and they're noticably grippier. three range sessions, including transitions in prone on gravel, haven't phased the stuff yet.

i think i've actually seen people use bedliner on handguards and/or magazines before- that sounds really familiar. i'm also pretty sure, now that i think about it, that i've used the stuff for something before... maybe as a handle coating for tools or something. i just remember that the stuff smells like ABS cement and makes for a nasty cleanup.

speaking of ABS cement- i bet a handful of sand tossed on a coating of PVC or ABS cement on plastic parts would make a very durable and very grippy surface- that stuff's solvent based, so it actually bonds with plastic, rather than just seals or coats. no camo benefit, though.

Jay Cunningham
01-17-10, 23:18
Your best/favorite mods

John_Wayne777 of course.

Wait, what? Oh you don't mean that kind of mod?

Sorry....

M4Fundi
01-18-10, 00:50
12" handguards.
They really bring the gun together.

LMT charging handle. The Gunfighter CH might be just as good or maybe even better, but I have not used them and I really like the LMTs.

Ambi Selector.
Makes bilateral work more uniform and applying the safety is faster and easier.

Redi-Mod
Adds some weight, but makes reloads Forrest Gump fast.

On which rifle do you prefer 12" handguards?

Belmont31R
01-18-10, 01:35
MOE Stock

MOE Grip

SSA Trigger

BCM Gunfighter Medium

KAC BUIS'

LaRue/KAC Rails

T1/ACOG/Short-Dot w/ LaRue mounts

Kilo 1-1
01-18-10, 02:11
Stippling KAC, XTM panels, and Magpul AFG.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/2467/p1020947j.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3743/p1020934s.jpg

KingsideRook
01-18-10, 04:20
I would have said Miculek Steel charging handle with a PRi latch a month ago, but I'm a BCM Gunfighter convert, so now I'll say:

BCM Gunfighter Mod4 Charging Handle

Others:

IONBond BCG

KAC style (slimmed-down on lower right side) ambi safety.

Magpul MIAD Grip

Magpul AFG is a new favorite

VLTOR EMOD - the stock body is long enough that it works perfectly one notch extended, with lots of cheekweld

VLTOR VC-1 FH (used to have one on a rifle that sold, going to have others)

Vickers Padded VCAS

Surefire X300 at 12 o'clock

Aimpoint H1 Micro

Rev.M PMAGs

These last couple probably aren't surprising news, pretty much everyone likes the Aimpoint and PMAGS.

There's other stuff, but in my experience, this stuff works. Stuff I don't own yet, like a Geissele SSA, can't make the list until I have one and try it.

ForTehNguyen
01-18-10, 10:43
Magpul BAD combined with a BCM Gunfighter charging handle is the best mod. Those two just go together so well.

Failure2Stop
01-18-10, 11:00
On which rifle do you prefer 12" handguards?

I like 12" rails on 14.5" barrels and longer.

SHIVAN
01-18-10, 11:06
PRI Gasbuster

MIAD B3 with triggerguard frontstrap

BFG/Vickers integral QD sling

AAC suppressor

KingsideRook
01-18-10, 11:07

Forgot this - 12" rails are new to me, but in the past month, I've fallen in love with the extra rail space. I have lots of arm, and placing the AFG near the end of a 12" DD rail is very ergonomic, for me it is entirely worth the additional weight. I think I'll be planning most new builds with 10-12" rail from now on, and probably all 12".

Also, now that MOE handguards will be available in midlength, I suspect that they will probably be a new fave - I like the carbine length MOE design, but prefer middy gas systems and basically need the extra forward gripping area.

Mark21
01-18-10, 12:05
Almost all my rifles now have the following "mods":

--DD Omega FF rail

--LMT charging handle

--LMT Sopmod stock

--XS tritium front sight post

--RRA two stage trigger (tuned by WOA)

--Larue BUIS (non-foldable)

ForTehNguyen
01-18-10, 13:02

same, I dont like front sight tower in my eotech sight picture AND I want the gas block covered up

snappy
01-18-10, 13:15
Magpul BAD combined with a BCM Gunfighter charging handle is the best mod. Those two just go together so well.

Couldn't agree more! This along with an ambi safety has made for smooth running. I'd also sing the praises of the VTAC sling, Pmags and any of the Larue quick release mounts. :cool:

Buck
01-18-10, 13:49
T.I.P. ;)

tr1kstanc3
01-18-10, 16:21
Couldn't agree more! This along with an ambi safety has made for smooth running. I'd also sing the praises of the VTAC sling, Pmags and any of the Larue quick release mounts. :cool:

same here! magbul bad, bcm gunfighter ch, and ambi safety.

Ricardus
01-18-10, 16:47
I put a Magpul UBR stock on my LR 308 TAC 20 and of course added the CAR 10 buffer and spring from Clint Butler.

I also added UDE kit from LaRue to my LMT Carbine. Looks really good and the LaRue FUG is excellent.:)

sohjah
01-18-10, 20:21
I like everything I've done to my rifle(s) and try and keep things to a minimum, but I have to have at least a red-dot (Aimpoint in my case) and a upgraded stock (I prefer the LMT SOPMOD or Magpul UBR).

Boss Hogg
01-19-10, 07:53
Tubular handguards: Blackheart, JP, VTAC TRX, Yankee Hill

Vltor stocks, especially the Emod

Chrome bolt carrier groups

Magpul trigger guard

10MMGary
01-19-10, 08:13
Geissele SSA trigger
Vickers QD sling
EoTech 553

Alex V
01-19-10, 08:25
I would have to say that the Aimpoint I got for X-Mas has been, by far, the best upgrade to my AR.

JonnyVain
01-19-10, 08:31
My Stark SE-1 grip. By far the most superior grip on the market. Anyone I've heard of who tries one says it's the most comfortable grip.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/4192124474_0d918bb43a_b.jpg