PDA

View Full Version : H or h2 buffer?

cgrubb1
01-17-10, 16:11
I have a Daniel defense xv carbine with full auto bolt carrier. Which buffer should I use? H h2 or the spikes heavy buffer, or does it make no difference, and get which is cheaper?
Thanks!

SPDGG
01-17-10, 19:10
- What weight buffer came with it?

- Do you already have a std. carbine weight buffer or _____?

- Have you shot it?

JimT
01-17-10, 19:33
^^^^^^^

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Have you taken the gun for a spin?

MikeCLeonard
01-17-10, 20:27
I like to use the heaviest buffer I can without causing any sort of malfunctions.

PRGGodfather
01-17-10, 20:29
If you bought a DD XV, it came with an H buffer, or its equivalent.

cgrubb1
01-17-10, 21:04
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I built the lower and just got the upper last week. It is a standard carbine buffer as of now. Haven't had an oppertunity for a test spin yet.

spamsammich
01-17-10, 22:41
shoot the gun first with a variety of ammo, then decided if it needs a heavier buffer.

Thomas M-4
01-17-10, 23:42
Use the heaviest buffer that will reliably cycle the weakest ammo that you plan to use.

Iraqgunz
01-18-10, 06:07
If you use an "H" you should be fine.

87GN
01-18-10, 09:08
I have a rifle that functions perfectly with everything from a carbine buffer with the weight removed to a 9mm buffer, and everything in between.

It is most "in harmony" with a Spikes ST-T2 buffer, though.

11Bravo
01-18-10, 17:45
And by that I mean waffling, whishy-washy
Or, since you have a carbine buffer get a "H" and a "H2" then if you're using hot(ter) loads you can use one of the heavier ones to slow things down a bit.
If you're using not so hot loads use lighter.
Your rifle probably won't be quite that sensitive to it.
Or, out of the three, use the one that gives you what you think is the best feel.
Then if you find one that works and feels best, sell the others off; somebody will buy them.

tommy5.56
01-19-10, 14:08
shoot the gun first with a variety of ammo, then decided if it needs a heavier buffer.

+1. I still run a standard buffers for my 10.5 and 11.5 and haven't encounter any problem.

ge_traveler
01-24-10, 10:10
I have read many threads on this topic and understand the reduction in recoil and wear on parts, especially in the carbine, by going to the H buffer.

My question is this: What buffer is preferred in a mid-length? Would it be the same for a 14.5" mid-length and 16" mid-length?

Thanks

SPDGG
01-24-10, 14:52
I have read many threads on this topic and understand the reduction in recoil and wear on parts, especially in the carbine, by going to the H buffer.

My question is this: What buffer is preferred in a mid-length? Would it be the same for a 14.5" mid-length and 16" mid-length?

Thanks Same applies to the above, OP question.
Use the heaviest buffer that will reliably cycle the weakest ammo that you plan to use.

FWIW/IMHO: I prefer a to use a H buffer w/ mid-length gas system.

If it reliably cycles, locks back w/ the ammo of choice = You are GTG
IMO: * I dont count/use Wolf/crap type ammo

Have a great one

QuietShootr
01-24-10, 15:09
Agreed with the use the heaviest buffer that will reliably cycle in your weapon with the lightest loaded ammo you expect to use.

This is how I test a carbine to determine which buffer to use. I test this by using commercial .223 ammo and start with a Colt 9mm buffer for the following test:

5 rounds - load one round into a known good magazine. Fire the round. The bolt should lock back on the empty mag all 5 times. If it does not, go to the next lighter buffer.

If the gun passes this test, perform it again gripping the weapon loosely by the pistol grip only. If it passes, go on. If it does not, go to next lighter buffer.

28 rounds - holding the weapon very loosely, fire 6 rounds holding the weapon in normal firing orientation, rotate it 90 degrees and repeat, until you are back at the starting position. Weapon must not malfunction and must lock back on the empty magazine.

If it passes all that with commercial .223, you are good to go with the buffer you used for this test.