PDA

View Full Version : Cravats?

Submariner
01-17-10, 17:09
To me the cravats and 4x4s are so so items to keep in a blow out kit.... Cravats have many uses but I am not sure what the intent is at the individual level that it needs to incumber assault gear.

DOC

I found a batch of OD USGI triangular bandages/cravats packaged with two safety pins. For what are they used?

PRGGodfather
01-17-10, 17:09
Head wraps, slings -- all kinds of stuff...

MIKE G
01-17-10, 17:30

Gutshot John
01-17-10, 18:44
Very versatile piece of medical kit. Can be used for lots of things.

Wraps, bandages, slings, splints, tourniquet, traction cuff...do rag. :)

It has a real purpose in a generalized first aid kit but it's low on the list of priorities for a "blow-out" which is immediate control of hemorrhage/shock. You can use it as a tourniquet last ditch but it shouldn't be your primary.

I don't think anyone is hurt by having a couple of these at hand.

dbrowne1
01-17-10, 21:00
Very versatile piece of medical kit. Can be used for lots of things.

Wraps, bandages, slings, splints, tourniquet, traction cuff...do rag. :)

Not to mention a strong accoutrement and conversation-starter at horse races, summer parties, etc.:D

HOT CHICK: Oh wow. What's that on your neck?
ME: Oh, nothing. Just my day cravat.

11Bravo
01-17-10, 21:25
With a bit of creativity one can even be used as a make-shift jockstrap. :eek:

Pathfinder Ops
01-18-10, 14:15
I've used them for everything from neck scarf to face cloth to field expedient tourniquets to blind folds (don't ask) and then some.

The original intent was "sling and swath" for fractures etc.The pins were to dress up the sling.

Keep a couple in your kit. You will never fail to find a use for them. Wash them out after and use again for whatever.

LMarshall73
01-18-10, 17:21
The safety pins (http://www.tacmedsolutions.com/07/videos.php) come in handy as well (toward the bottom of the page).