PDA

View Full Version : Anybody intested in a 2k round endurance run?

Marcus L.
01-17-10, 17:43
After performing the 2,000rd pistol challenge, I've been thinking about doing one with a carbine. Anyone else interested in it? Basically it would be similar to the pistol challenge......something like this:

RULES(Taken from Todd's pistol challenge)

* Shooter must use a single rifle (distinct brand, model, caliber, serial number) for the entire 2,000 rounds. Rifle should be properly cleaned and lubricated before the test begins. Any brand rifle, stock or modified (please list all modifications), any caliber.

* Shooter can take as long as necessary (days, weeks, months) to fire 2,000 rounds through the rifle.

* The rifle cannot be cleaned, lubricated, or maintained in any way during the entire 2,000 round test period.

* Shooter can use any type of ammunition: factory, remanufactured, or hand loaded. Shooter can use as many different brands, styles, bullet weights, etc. as necessary as long as all ammunition meets the SAAMI specifications for the caliber of the gun.

* Shooter must report ALL stoppages, malfunctions, and/or parts breakages that occur during the 2,000 round test regardless of cause. This includes any such problems that are deemed "shooter-induced" or "ammunition-induced."

* If a stoppage, malfunction, or breakage may be ammunition-induced, the shooter can follow this procedure (but must still report the actual results with the original test pistol): if the round still has a bullet, powder, and undetonated primer the shooter can attempt to fire the round in a freshly lubricated and cleaned rifle of different brand than the test gun. If the round fails to fire in this second rifle which is clean, lubricated, and not of the same brand, then although the original stoppage or malfunction must be reported it will not count against achieving the "2,000 Round Challenge" success criteria.

DEFINITIONS

Stoppage: Any failure of the rifle to go through its entire cycle of operation. This could include a failure to feed, fire, extract, or eject. A problem qualifies as a Stoppage if and only if the shooter is capable of fixing the problem without the use of any tools, without disassembling the gun in any way (magazine can be removed), and the rifle is in firing condition in less than 30 seconds. For example, a stovepipe or failure of the bolt to go fully into battery would be Stoppages. Failure to lock back after the last round in a magazine is fired, even if the shooter believes it was caused by an improper grip, is considered a stoppage.

Malfunction: Any failure of the rifle to go through its entire cycle of operation and which requires the use of tools, disassembly of any part of the rifle, and/or takes more than 30 seconds to resolve, but does not require any parts replacement. For example, a dislodged spring or a front sight that falls off the gun would be Malfunctions.

Breakage: Any failure of the rifle to go through its entire cycle of operation and which requires parts replacement (springs, pins, locking block, anything) to resolve. For example, a broken spring or chipped extractor would be Breakages.

A rifle must fire 2,000 consecutive rounds without any cleaning or maintenance or additional lubrication without any stoppages, malfunctions or breakages to qualify as having met the "2,000 Round Challenge."

Also, I think it would be good to see some pictures of the rifle in various stages of testing. I think 2k rounds is fair, although the more the merrier! Controversial rifles are a must. I think I'll probably run a XCR.

C45P312
01-17-10, 18:13
I'd be interested to see it go through, but I really don't see any rifle to go 2000rds without lube or cleaning. Please someone prove me wrong!!11!one!1

JPB
01-17-10, 19:23
Lets see some Sig 556s earn their keep!

Newaza
01-17-10, 19:45
My money would be on a good AK (like my Saiga :))

Dave_M
01-17-10, 20:38
Sounds like fun.

I already keep logbooks on all new acquisitions so this will be easy to report. As of today I have 1284 rounds since any cleaning (and never any lubrication) on my 11.5" BCM /w FailZero BCG. I don't know if it (or I) can make it another 700 without cleaning though (the Marine Corps in me is seriously screaming!). The action is getting seriously rough at this point.

I've had 2 stuck cases though (yay Wolf) so....

I'll bet my Arsenal could do it though

Tomac
01-18-10, 07:55
Did that years ago w/a couple of NIB 5.45x39 SAR-2's. Took 'em to the range w/a couple of friends, NIW EG surplus AK74 mags & 4K rds of Wolf 60gr. Didn't clean or lube 'em first, just checked the bores for obstructions. Spent the entire day loading & emptying mags. I'll be darned if they didn't eat the entire 4K rds (2K each) w/o a single problem! To this day I've never experienced any other rifle having that sort of "right out of the box" reliability.
Tomac

RancidSumo
01-18-10, 13:58
This ought to be interesting. It seems the consensus is "Run it Wet" I wonder how many rifles will be able to do this without lube.

spoonrobot
01-20-10, 21:33
I'm in. Expect to hear from me again around May/June. I usually get in two range trips a month, 200-300 rounds a trip. Mostly Wolf with a fair amount of Prvi.

Ridge_Runner_5
01-20-10, 22:22
You provide the ammo, I'll do it :)

Mark71
01-20-10, 22:26
I'm in. Expect to hear from me again around May/June. I usually get in two range trips a month, 200-300 rounds a trip. Mostly Wolf with a fair amount of Prvi.

What rifle are you planning on using for this test?