PDA

View Full Version : Are all stripped lowers equal?

mchaley
01-18-10, 06:51
I'm looking into buying a stripped lower. I've looked at lower end like GSE and SI lowers for $65 and $50 respectively and I'm looking at higher end. I'm especially interested in Sun Devil lowers but I hear they're softer than normal.

What are important qualities of a stripped lower and why? What is something to try to avoid?

I also saw, IIRC, hi- shelf and low shelf. It's my understanding that high shelf allows for a lightening sear and low shelf does not. Is this correct?

My AR knowledge is very limited but I'm eager to learn :D

01-18-10, 09:33
Several threads have extensively discussed this topic. Just do a search.

mchaley
01-18-10, 17:57
I'm sure that could be the answer to a lot of questions around here. I was mainly just trying to start a conversation around something I'm curious about. I've used the search but results seemed scattered. Granted I've only used it a bit and could probably search better.

01-18-10, 18:22
Not trying to be a di**, but it's an issue that's been covered many times. Most likely no one wants to dig up a dead horse to beat it.

Failure2Stop
01-18-10, 18:25
While not all stripped lowers are equal, most of them are functionally equivalent.
The exceptions to this rule are the very high-end/unique lowers and the very low end items that are dimensionally questionable.

mchaley
01-18-10, 18:50
Not trying to be a di**, but it's an issue that's been covered many times. Most likely no one wants to dig up a dead horse to beat it.

I understand what you're saying. If nobody's interested, I'll let it die and rely on searching. I have no question that the material has been covered. :)

CoryCop25
01-18-10, 18:58
Low shelf means you can add a registered drop in auto sear if you have one and an auto sear will not fit in a high shelf. Most lowers will work but my advice would be to stick with the common (good) names and ask about their quality control.

sundance435
01-18-10, 20:42
I'm sure that could be the answer to a lot of questions around here. I was mainly just trying to start a conversation around something I'm curious about. I've used the search but results seemed scattered. Granted I've only used it a bit and could probably search better.

It IS the answer to a lot of questions around here, hence why people say that in threads like this. Not a lot has changed in the arena of AR-15 lowers since this topic was last discussed a week ago. Here is the long and short of it: forged 7075 aluminum lowers = pretty much the same across the board billet lowers = just something to spend a little more money on and not really better or worse than a forged lower

the_fallguy
01-18-10, 21:53
The most important qualities in a lower are that the hole locations and dimensions are in spec. I personally like forged lowers made from 7075T6 aluminum because they are closer to mil spec.

The main lowers that I would say you should definitely stay away from are cast receivers and carbon aramid" recievers.

I wouldn't worry about shelf height or any of that stuff unless you plan on spending a lot of bucks on a sear.

Lowers that I have built rifles off of for myself or acquaintances and been completely pleased with are Predator Custom Shop, Rock River Arms, Grizzly, DPMS, and CMMG. There are several others out there that have excellent reputations like Noveske, Mega, Spikes, Sabre Defence, Armalite, etc.. I have also built one carbine off one of the Sharps lowers that are on sale from R-guns for $55 that I was happy with, except that it wouldn't accept a Magpul trigger guard without some modification.

JonnyVain
01-19-10, 08:22
If you get SI, there's a chance it will be out of spec. I purchased on of their uppers, and my bolt didn't fit in it.

That said, they DO stand by their product, and are sending me one of their billet uppers as a replacement.

If you take a chance with SI, you aren't chancing getting ripped off, but you are chancing extra hassle.

I'd buy from them again if I was hard up for some cash. If you're not happy with their product, they'll give you a full refund.

Spikes has their lowers on sale for $89 right now. By time you pay shipping and xfer fees, it's closer to $130. I usually buy my lowers at a local place to avoid the extra costs.

markman
01-19-10, 13:04
I just ordered 2 Aero Precision AR15 Stripped Lower Receivers (2 for $74.99 ea.). They should be here this week.

mchaley
01-22-10, 09:47
I heard that Sun Devil receivers are made from a softer metal. Does anyone have any insight into this?

Surf
01-22-10, 11:58
Lots of insight into it.

http://m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=1669472