PDA

View Full Version : Which Glock? Need opinions...

CobraBG
01-18-10, 08:45
I am planning to purchase a Glock 21 SF (I already have a Glock 30 SF). I have looked at both the standard Glock rail version and the picatinny rail version. I can't decide which to get. Does the picatinny rail offer any real advantages over the standard Glock rail? I know that it may allow some different options for mounting accessories. It is a handgun though and other than a light or laser I don't know what I would ever mount on the weapon.

Does the picatinny rail really make a difference or is it all about the look?

Business_Casual
01-18-10, 09:19
I keep seeing threads that basically say "I can't find a holster for my railed handgun because I didn't go with the standard rail everyone else did."

Shrug.

M_P

M4arc
01-18-10, 09:26
FYI, Glock is no longer making the Picatinny railed G21SFs. They've gone back to producing the standard Glock rail and right-handed mag catch models.

Since that is the same configuration and rail as your G30SF I suggest you stick with it and find a new G21SF to match.

CobraBG
01-18-10, 10:35
Thanks for the replies. I have been looking at holsters and there don't seem to be many that fit the picatinny rail. That would be a concern. I did not know that Glock had stopped making the picatinny rail version. The local Cabelas has a few in stock. My understanding is that the 21 SF with the dual mag release requires different mags. That would also be a concern. The thought of staying with the same rail as my 30 SF makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information. :cool:

ThirdWatcher
01-18-10, 14:56
My understanding is that the 21 SF with the dual mag release requires different mags. That would also be a concern. The thought of staying with the same rail as my 30 SF makes perfect sense. Thanks for the information. :cool:

I've heard (from coworkers) that the ambi mag release makes it easier to inadvertently lose your mag while in the holster. While the ambi release required a slight redesign of the mag, all new 21 & 21SF mags are the same.

ToddG
01-18-10, 19:23
The ambi mag release for the Glocks sucked rancid coyote testicles.

The new reversible catch on the Gen4 guns (which isn't available as a G21 yet) is far, far superior.

MSP "Sarge"
01-19-10, 01:07
Damn Todd. Let us know how you really feel about that amb mag release.:D

Ak44
01-19-10, 02:04
I bought a 21sf with pic rail and ambi mag release when they first came out. The pic rail looks cool but as addressed earlier finding a holster may be an issue for some. I liked the idea of the ambi mag catch a first but after using the pistol and carrying, I'd rather prefer the normal mag release. I agree with getting a 21sf that matches your 30sf. Best of luck!

CobraBG
01-19-10, 11:44
sucked rancid coyote testicles.

Never heard that before... well put. ;)

CobraBG
01-19-10, 11:49
I bought a 21sf with pic rail and ambi mag release when they first came out. The pic rail looks cool but as addressed earlier finding a holster may be an issue for some. I liked the idea of the ambi mag catch a first but after using the pistol and carrying, I'd rather prefer the normal mag release. I agree with getting a 21sf that matches your 30sf. Best of luck!

That sums things up for me. Other than looking cool there seems to be no real value to the picatinny rail and the ambi mag release. If anything it creates complications. I will be getting the standard rail.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. That's what is great about this site... straight answers and very little BS. :cool:

JonInWA
01-20-10, 07:54
You also might want to take a hard look at a new version just out of the G21 SF; it has the RTF2 frame treatment. I'm very impresssed with how the RTF2 really assists in grip retention with the large frame. To the best of my knowledge, it's avaliable only with the standard mag catch set-up and standard Glock rail.

Best, Jon

CobraBG
01-20-10, 19:50
You also might want to take a hard look at a new version just out of the G21 SF; it has the RTF2 frame treatment. I'm very impresssed with how the RTF2 really assists in grip retention with the large frame. To the best of my knowledge, it's avaliable only with the standard mag catch set-up and standard Glock rail.

Best, Jon

Thanks Jon, I am not aware of the RTF2 you mention. I checked Glock's website and could not find any info. Can you offer any more details? I assume it is a more aggressive texture to the frame. Pics would be great if possible. Does anyone else know more about this?

Thanks for the replies.

JonInWA
01-21-10, 07:49
Cobra, the official Glock website is just about the last place you'd go to to obtain any breaking news on Glocks; they're notorious for taking their own sweet time to post updates and new information.

If you go to www.glocktalk.com, a member there did post some pictures of the G21 SF RTF2 that he got. Basically, it's just a Gen 3 G21 SF with the RTF2 treatment to the receiver, standard Glock light rail, and standard (vertical) slide grasping grooves, and the standard magazine release. It is an actual model; probably to avoid diverting attention from the Gen4 release, Glock has chosen not to highlight it. It's being primarily offered to LEO and military; my LE rep has an example that's part of his presentation to LEOs. I suspect that it will be a relatively short duration model, probably to be phased out when Glock spreads the Gen4 treatment to the large frame pistols (probably in late 2010/2011).

Of course, in general the Gen4 effectively superceeds (and should eliminate) the SF frame option.

Best, Jon