PDA

View Full Version : Trusty ol' Gen 2 G23 gets a new skin (Cerakote review)... will be an ongoing process.

Zeus
01-18-10, 10:15
As a preface, this is my duty weapon... been with me a long time. I believe since 1995. Long after the first set of Tritium sites went completely dim. She was put up dirty more than once, yet never failed me, and has actually been as reliable as any "wheel gun" I've ever had. Lost count of rounds years ago, but many springs later, she's still more than accurate enough for combat purposes. Her finish had seen better days though, and as luck would have it, I ran into a local gunsmith, Brad, of Selph Arms located in Buda, Texas. They are right down the road from me here in Austin. Brad had his AR with him that he had coated with NIC Industries OD Green Cerakote. I must say I was impressed. If you've never heard of Cerakote, you may find a quick search interesting. This was the first I'd experienced with this particular coating first hand. I was already familiar with coating processes of various types having come from Aerospace manufacturing years ago, and currently familiar with automotive ceramic coatings... the work was flawless. After conversing for a while, it was decided my poor, beat up old G23 would get a two tone treatment. So as to prevent me from rambling on forever, here are the pics:

First, sadly, I forgot to get the "before" pics... however, the finish was not much better than the rear site that came off of it.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3041.jpg

Had the slide done in Black and the frame in OD Green... after seening some of his other work, might have to have him redo the slide in his rough, stainless matte finish.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3052.jpg

Attenttion to detail is lacking neither outside, nor inside!
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3051.jpg

I was fairly concerned about coating the polymer frame... esp knowing how hard I can be on my "tools". Yet, this is two weeks of use both in a full duty rig, and an inside the pants holster. I tend to throw my duty rig around as my POV has Recaro seats. So daily use is not just on my hip, but bounced around coming both on and off duty.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3049.jpg

Another angle...
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3045.jpg

And the other side... I'm quite happy thus far. If the stuff holds up well enough, my shotgun and carbines will end up with their own schemes later on. As well as the Wife's J-frame.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3043.jpg

I'll update the post as time goes on... the good, the bad, the ugly. Whatever may come. As I said before, I'm not kind to my gear, yet also have experience with various coatings in aerospace and automotive applications. A lot about prep can be told once work like this is completed. From what I see, I don't expect any surprises here...

LockenLoad
01-18-10, 15:12
subscribed

awm14hp
01-18-10, 15:52
nice I will check back on this I got a gen2 that could use some love

The_Biased_Observer
01-18-10, 15:54
Good deal. I have a P226 out to CCR for coating the frame and plating the internals, I have several before photos and plan on doing a similar write up. I'm terribly suspicious about "coatings" myself but hear good things about Cerakote.

skyugo
01-18-10, 23:22
man that OD gen 2 frame must get some double takes :D
"did they make those?"

Zeus
01-18-10, 23:27
man that OD gen 2 frame must get some double takes :D
"did they make those?"

LOL, a few people have been "green" with envy thinking they "missed" something. Let them off the hook quick though.

I'll have to have an OD Gen 4 G23C if they ever release them. Won't give up my baby though. Been through a lot together.

Zeus
01-18-10, 23:31
Good deal. I have a P226 out to CCR for coating the frame and plating the internals, I have several before photos and plan on doing a similar write up. I'm terribly suspicious about "coatings" myself but hear good things about Cerakote.

Don't be so suspicious of "coatings" per se... seen them endure HELL in the aerospace environment. DO be suspicious of "coaters" though. Seems to be more than a few out there with high lust for cash, yet low skills/weak materials to obtain it. Seen that a lot in the automotive industry.

Jaeger
01-19-10, 00:15
I've got a 19 and a 17 that I have been wanting to refinish. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

LockenLoad
01-19-10, 18:27
I would like to hear feedback from anyone that has used their microslick

bubba04
01-19-10, 19:11
That looks first class.

S391
01-19-10, 22:28
Very nice! I'm going to be sending the slide from my M&P in for a fresh Cerakote finish next week.... hopefully it will look as good as yours when it comes back.

Zeus
01-19-10, 23:35
I would like to hear feedback from anyone that has used their microslick

Have two different BCG's at two different places (Selph Arms and Amelon Coatings) being Micro Slick'd right now. Should have the answer for you in a week-ish.

Zeus
01-19-10, 23:36
Very nice! I'm going to be sending the slide from my M&P in for a fresh Cerakote finish next week.... hopefully it will look as good as yours when it comes back.

Who did you use... maybe we need to keep track of the good and the bad.

S391
01-20-10, 12:17
Who did you use... maybe we need to keep track of the good and the bad.

I'm sending it up to Lauer Weaponry in Wisconsin.... I'll post a report and pics when I get it back.

ST911
01-20-10, 14:48
Nice work.

Side note: Your G23 has the old ejector (4340). Swapping it out for the longer (1882) ejector, now standard, is generally recommended.

Zeus
01-20-10, 23:11
Nice work.

Side note: Your G23 has the old ejector (4340). Swapping it out for the longer (1882) ejector, now standard, is generally recommended.

Thanks... someone on another board had said I need to have that addressed, but never answered my "how do you know..." or better yet, why. I've run this gun for a long time, but sadly only recently have I started looking into what it should be since doing the coating... out of character for me and my "tools" to say the least. Don't know why as every other thing I have is "raced out". Guess it just always did what I wanted/needed with deadly consistency. However, that is no excuse.

ST911
01-20-10, 23:41
Thanks... someone on another board had said I need to have that addressed, but never answered my "how do you know..." or better yet, why.

Discussed at length in several armorer recerts. Offered as a fix by GI for certain ejection issues when they materialize.

The 4340 usually works fine. If your gun hasn't had problems, it likely won't given ammo consistency. The 1882 can be expected to work better, more consistently, across a broader range of variables.

Hope that helps.

Zeus
01-21-10, 01:40
Discussed at length in several armorer recerts. Offered as a fix by GI for certain ejection issues when they materialize.

The 4340 usually works fine. If your gun hasn't had problems, it likely won't given ammo consistency. The 1882 can be expected to work better, more consistently, across a broader range of variables.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the 43...

Zeus
02-15-10, 01:13
Well, back with an update...

The finish is holding up better than expected. There is no appreciable wear of any type on the weapon from daily use. There is a boo boo on the weapon do to me being a jackass though. While getting out of my POV a week ago, with a bag and duty belt in hand (both in one), I dropped the duty belt on the concrete parking garage floor from about 3' in the air... of course RIGHT on the weapon. I picked it up expecting the worst, especially on the coated polymer. However, to my surprise, no chipping, cracking, or peeling whatsoever. Nicks of course, but nothing as I'd expected. Only a few dings next to the mag well. This was a week ago, and there has been no additional deterioration.

On to the pics:

Couple scratches next to the mag well
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3118.jpg

Different view
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3129.jpg

The weapon as a whole, no real wear from a Safariland duty holster, Galco concealed holster, and a crappy Fobus paddle holster.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn133/Zeusmotorworks/100_3127.jpg

Relentless
02-15-10, 08:51
RE: the nicks - the gun just some of its character back. :D That color and color combo is very appealing to me.

Relentless
02-15-10, 08:52
Question. How does the Cerakote feel in the hand? Slick? Grippy? How does the texture compare to the standard Glock finish and/or a parkerized finish? Thanks.

Zeus
02-15-10, 10:43
Don't know how to explain it, but it's a grippier feel on the "smooth" parts. Not gritty, but a light texture. I'd say perfect for bare hands and Texas heat.

Relentless
02-15-10, 18:34
Yeah, I get it. It feels like it looks in the first set of pics. Groovy.

Zeus
06-02-10, 13:51
Well, I've fallen off keeping up with this due to the fact there is not much to keep up with... still no issues or appreciable wear to speak of. :cool:

brushy bill
06-02-10, 19:05
Well, I've fallen off keeping up with this due to the fact there is not much to keep up with... still no issues or appreciable wear to speak of. :cool:

Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of using this on one of my guns, but waiting to see how others like it before hand. Are you still carrying this gun routinely?

Zeus
06-02-10, 19:16
Thanks for the update. I'm thinking of using this on one of my guns, but waiting to see how others like it before hand. Are you still carrying this gun routinely?

It's my duty weapon... of course I'm at the Academy now (17 years here), so it rides in a Blackhawk level one now. It's still getting beat up though as it routinely gets hit by the flapper half door that my office is behind. That and occasionally dinged on the Academy weight sets as I'm cutting through. Finish is holding up like a champ!

LockenLoad
01-04-11, 12:50
thanks for updates

Zeus
01-04-11, 17:21
Should have gotten more pics up, but other than a few new nicks from my 250 lb frame dragging the weapon through door jams, obstacles, in and out of agency vehicles, and my POV, there is not much to report. It just WORKS, and works well. I'd have thought the thing would be a black and OD green "camo" by now with the coating flaking off left and right. However, that has not happened. It just keeps on going.

Got a sick Wife and 2011 In-service starting next week. I'll try and fit pics in when I can, but they are pretty unremarkable in that it holds up so well.

LockenLoad
01-04-11, 17:26
sorry my post sounded smarty I am really thankful :)

SpankMonkey
01-04-11, 18:12
I've been thinking of doing this to my old G26. Thx for the updates OP.

Zeus
01-04-11, 19:35
sorry my post sounded smarty I am really thankful :)

Nothing about "sorry". My response was out of well placed guilt.

glen
09-06-11, 08:29
Very helpful review, thanks for showing how it handles real world use.

Any updates to this? Really interested to see how the slide is wearing in everyday honest use.

Nephrology
09-06-11, 08:58
Very nice. I have a 1911 that needs to be refinished- as far as I am concerned teh wear on my Glocks is part of what they are! That said I have been carrying the same G19 nearly every day for only ~2 years now and it already is showing a good amount of wear. Give it another 10 or so and I might need to do something like this!

Zeus
09-07-11, 05:36
I need to get some current pics up... it's still my every day carry gun. Got some dings, but damn I'm impressed on how well it's held up! Brad of Selph Arms did a great job!

jtsikes0204
09-08-11, 11:35
that looks great man.