PDA

View Full Version : signature question

G22inSC
01-18-10, 11:26
I am starting my next purchase; however, the Sheriff will no longer sign the necessary forms. I don't really want to go the trust route and have heard a Chief of Police can sign the forms. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If this is possible, do you have to live in the Chiefs jurisdiction (i.e. city and not county)? Thanks.

bkb0000
01-18-10, 11:39
Yep..

Q: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?
As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

[27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

Iraqgunz
01-18-10, 15:29
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have to go to the CLEO in your area. I take it that means if you live in the county or in an unincorporated area you have to go to the Sheriff and if you live in the city you have to go to the Chief of Police.

IMHO the trust route would be much more painless and more efficient in the long run.

I am starting my next purchase; however, the Sheriff will no longer sign the necessary forms. I don't really want to go the trust route and have heard a Chief of Police can sign the forms. Can anyone confirm or deny this? If this is possible, do you have to live in the Chiefs jurisdiction (i.e. city and not county)? Thanks.

G22inSC
01-18-10, 18:40
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that you have to go to the CLEO in your area. I take it that means if you live in the county or in an unincorporated area you have to go to the Sheriff and if you live in the city you have to go to the Chief of Police.

That is what I had always thought as well; however, I have had people swear otherwise. I just don't want to go through the hassle of the trust and have to consult a lawyer and all. I don't believe people have had the best of luck using WillMaker from Quicken.

bkb0000
01-18-10, 19:05
you can always do a corporation.. in oregon, all it takes is one form- the "articles of incorporation," which is just information on your officers (you), and $48 and $20 per year after that. check your local laws.

Iraqgunz
01-19-10, 03:43
One of my local Class III guy uses Quicken Willmaker. He is also the one that set my trust up. I have had 3 successful purchases with it, so it seems to work. I also know a handful of others who have done the same.

Realistically you don't need a lawyer.

That is what I had always thought as well; however, I have had people swear otherwise. I just don't want to go through the hassle of the trust and have to consult a lawyer and all. I don't believe people have had the best of luck using WillMaker from Quicken.

G22inSC
01-19-10, 13:30
Has anyone here used Quicken WillMaker for trusts in South Carolina? Does anything need to be changed, altered or recorded with the courts? I am just worried about possible legal issues the trust is done through WillMaker.

I have heard of other horror stories when someone moves out of state and purchases were made on a trust. What do you have to do then? At least with the individual purchase, assuming it is legal in the new state, all you have to do is file the change of address.