PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Q: cut a 16" down to 14.5"?

S391
01-18-10, 12:28
I'm trying to take some weight out of the front of my AR and make it a bit better handling and I was thinking about having my 16" barrel cut down to 14.5" and having my Vortex flash hider pinned in place.

Has anyone ever had anything like this done? If so, could you offer any feedback? Who would be a good source to have this done?

Thanks.

YVK
01-18-10, 12:30
ADCO firearms usually get most recommendations for this kind of work. That's where I had mine done. You may also consider having them reprofile your barrel to a lighter profile while they are at it.

JonnyVain
01-18-10, 12:39
ADCO firearms usually get most recommendations for this kind of work. That's where I had mine done. You may also consider having them reprofile your barrel to a lighter profile while they are at it.

Yeah, it depends on what barrel profile you have now. If you have a HBAR, I would recommend getting it reprofiled/fluted. Fluting takes away weight while still maximizing barrel stiffness.

If you have an M4 profile, you could still take some off with reprofiling. But it's a pretty light barrel anyway...

S391
01-18-10, 13:04
Yeah, it depends on what barrel profile you have now. If you have a HBAR, I would recommend getting it reprofiled/fluted. Fluting takes away weight while still maximizing barrel stiffness.

If you have an M4 profile, you could still take some off with reprofiling. But it's a pretty light barrel anyway...

the profile is more HBar than M4... thanks, I'll take a look.

In the end it may just be cheaper to buy a new barrel but we'll see what they say.