PDA

View Full Version : 11 year old is shot and defends mother w/ .22 rifle.

Irish
01-18-10, 13:10
http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=402271

Three men are being held for a Palmview home invasion where an 11-year-old boy was shot defending his mother.

Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office deputies told Action 4 News that it happened off Minnesota Road and 8 Mile Line between Palmview and Mission around 12:30 a.m. Friday.

The homeowner said she and her 11-year-old son were in bed when she heard banging coming from the front door.

She got up to check and she saw two Hispanic males men wearing masks and armed with handguns walking towards her.

She quickly closed the bedroom door but one of the men allegedly tried to force it open.

The masked man kept telling her to open the door and she would not open the door.

The woman told deputies that the home invaders shot through the door and hit her son on the left hip area.

Her son had a 22 cal. Rifle and shot back at the alleged robbers.

The woman waited, opened the door, saw that the suspects were gone and called 911.

Deputies found blood all over the floor and noted that the front door had been knocked down.

Paramedics took the woman's 11-year-old son to the McAllen Medical Center where he’s listed in stable condition.

But deputies told Action 4 News that a man with a gunshot wound to his neck ended up at the same hospital.

Investigators said nothing was taken from the home and that the wounded suspect was taken to a hospital in San Antonio for further treatment. He remains under guard.

Criminal charges are expected to be filed against him, if he survives.

Deputies said Border Patrol agents detained two Mexican nationals who were found in the area.

The two men are being questioned about the home invasion.

U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials told Action 4 News that they have filed immigration detainers against the two men.

Well done! More proof that you can educate your children about firearms and their proper usage. A brave little boy who I hope recovers quickly from this incident.

SWATcop556
01-18-10, 13:21
I would take that kid over some of the idiots I work with. Well done and my prayers for a speedy recovery to the young sheepdog.

JonnyVain
01-18-10, 13:32
Good for him.

Hopefully he was in his mom's room AFTER they heard banging on the door... a little old to sleep with mom.

larry0071
01-18-10, 13:35
(Previous post) DING DING DING!

Not enough details, but I could question... why was the 11 yr old in mom's room at 12:30 AM? Where did his .22L Rifle come from if they were just woke up? Maybe they keep the .22 loaded and in the corner of the bedroom... but that takes you back to asking why an 11 year old boy is sleeping with mom?

If it is all legit, I applaud the boy for being able to perform after being shot, but I might suspect that the mother actually did the shooting and wants to use the boy as cover from any potential charges.

Irish
01-18-10, 13:37
Good for him.

Hopefully he was in his mom's room AFTER they heard banging on the door... a little old to sleep with mom.

Really?!?! There's one in every crowd :rolleyes:

Irish
01-18-10, 13:39

Not enough details, but I could question... why was the 11 yr old in mom's room at 12:30 AM? Where did his .22L Rifle come from if they were just woke up? Maybe they keep the .22 loaded and in the corner of the bedroom... but that takes you back to asking why an 11 year old boy is sleeping with mom?

If it is all legit, I applaud the boy for being able to perform after being shot, but I might suspect that the mother actually did the shooting and wants to use the boy as cover from any potential charges.

Maybe there's 2 beds in a 1 bedroom apartment or a studio for that matter... maybe all they can afford for home protection is a .22 rifle. Maybe they were lounging in bed watching a movie and fell asleep... focus on the topic at hand people.

EDIT: More than likely he heard banging and was scared shitless so he ran into his mom's bedroom for comfort. I personally don't care and I'm glad he defended himself and his mother against 3 intruders.

ZDL
01-18-10, 13:42

John_Wayne777
01-18-10, 13:47
Good for him.

If mom awoke to the sound of someone trying to break through the door odds are that her instinct was to get her kids in the room with her...hunker down and call 911.

Alex V
01-18-10, 13:47
Maybe there's 2 beds in a 1 bedroom apartment or a studio for that matter... maybe all they can afford for home protection is a .22 rifle. Maybe they were lounging in bed watching a movie and fell asleep... focus on the topic at hand people.

EDIT: More than likely he heard banging and was scared shitless so he ran into his mom's bedroom for comfort. I personally don't care and I'm glad he defended himself and his mother against 3 intruders.

Indeed!

There can be countless situations where the boy and his mom shared a room. Why should the thought instantly turn to the pererted?

Well done to the little guy! Shows that there is nothing wrong with children being educated about firearms at an early age.

larry0071
01-18-10, 13:50

Yes, I agree that there might be a bit more to the story as to why/how the boy ended up in the bedroom with moma, but those facts are missing.... like the scenario where she heard something, opens the door and sees guys heading down the hallway so backs into the room and closes the door. Nothing about how the banging scared them for any time and gave the child a chance to run to cover in mom's room... or have time to go get the family rifle and load it up. It all sounds like it happened in a few seconds time.

Again, if it's all legit, I applaud the child greatly! But I do still harbor suspicions that just maybe Moma shot and was afraid that she may "get in trouble" for defending her life and her sons life... so just maybe she quickly told the boy to agree that he took the shoot at the door while he was down with a gunshot to the groin area. It could be, folks would get dang scared in an event like this and you may not think all together straight. I would be covered in my own crap and urin if I ever had to actually defend myself agains an armed intruder. That is some big-boy grown-up shit to deal with. I'm only 38, I'm not sure I'm grown up enough to get in a fire fight!

colt191145lover
01-18-10, 14:18
When my dad worked out of town me and my brother would sleep on the floor in moms room up to about age 12. It seemed like a smart thing to do and helped everyone sleep better. In fact one of those times when i was 11 we had something go "bump" in the night and I had my Dads S&W 5906 to hold down the fort. the neighbor came over with the spotlight and found nothing, but scarry anyway!

I was the oldest and always took to heart when Dad said "take care of your mother and brother"
This happend out in the country and it was the way I was raised. I was packing a HK USP 45 that i saved up for at the age of 12 and was trusted by my parents with it .

Dont under estamate kids when the were brought up right and have a good head on there shoulders.

Iraqgunz
01-18-10, 15:16
I find out hard to believe that we are so wrapped up in minutia we are questioning why an 11 year old would be in his moms' room late night or that he would have been smart and aware enough to warn off the perpetrators.

SkiDevil
01-18-10, 22:24
Where did his .22L Rifle come from if they were just woke up? Maybe they keep the .22 loaded and in the corner of the bedroom.

When I was a kid (11 years old), I kept a .22 Rifle loaded under my bed. I was responsible and earned the trust of my parents. An unloaded gun isn't very useful when it is needed for protection.

I think many people underestimate the power of the diminutive .22 LR round.

And I agree with Irish Luck, Kid did a good job protecting his family. I hope that he has a speedy and complete recovery.

SkiDevil

P.S. A couple of years later it was replaced by a Remington 870 12 GA shotgun.

ccoker
01-18-10, 22:32
well, let's focus on the low life POS that were stopped by a brave 11 year old and leave the other BS to the media to speculate on

Oscar 319
01-18-10, 22:51
My little man (13) keeps his "tactical" 10/22 in his room with loaded mags. CCI Stingers are his round of choice. He knows, and has my permission, to unload on an attacker inside the house if I am not there.

He also has access to (in an emergency) a G17 in my bedroom, which he is very proficient with. He will protect his mother at all costs and do as I have trained him. My wife knows to get him the gun.

His room is right next to ours ("mom's" room if I'm not there), and that's where the kids go when there's a bump in the night.

I have a responsible little dude, a "sheepdog" in the making, and would expect nothing less from him.

This 11 year old has bigger balls than most grown men. I hope he heals quick.

glocktogo
01-18-10, 23:13
At 11 I was hunting deer with a Winchester 30-30 and got a Remington 1100 12ga for my 12th birthday. My mother on the other hand wouldn't touch a gun.

I guess it's growing up in a different era with a strong country background, but it wouldn't even cross my mind that the 11 y.o. didn't defend himself and his mother.

ZDL
01-19-10, 03:25

mchaley
01-19-10, 05:58
Well done

the Bamster
01-19-10, 10:00
Who wants to bet that kid gets a new 12 gauge for his birthday.

MarshallDodge
01-19-10, 10:10
Who wants to bet that kid gets a new 12 gauge for his birthday.
He deserves something for a job well done. :cool:

My boys, 11 and 14, are ready if something goes wrong.

loupav
01-19-10, 10:42
Wow! Great jog for the little guy. Hope he recovers quickly.

01-19-10, 12:49
Many of us here probably had the "You're the man of the house if I'm away" talk. All of us probably took it very seriously. I sure did. When something went bump in the night, it wasn't time for fun with a gun. It was time to step up to my responsibility and do as I had been taught.

snafu
01-19-10, 13:05
well, let's focus on the low life POS that were stopped by a brave 11 year old and leave the other BS to the media to speculate on

YES,
HURRAY for a job well done;)

CarlosDJackal
01-19-10, 14:15
...Hopefully he was in his mom's room AFTER they heard banging on the door... a little old to sleep with mom.

In certain cultures this is the norm especially when the dwelling does not allow for different rooms.

That being said, I find it weird that you would focus on this and not the actual story. :eek:

Kudos to the kid and his Mom. They did not just yield tot he scumbags. I hope the pos who he shot bleeds to death!!

Oscar 319
01-19-10, 15:20
Not judging by why would your wife hand your child a gun as opposed to using it herself to protect her young? Just seems backwards.

Legitimate question. My wife is not a shooter. My son is. He tags along as much as possible when I train or go shooting. He is a good student. I would love it if I could peak her interest level in firearms and self defense. She is a tiny lady (4'11", 95lbs).

Still, she too knows how to use the Glocks and (because it's a gun she likes to shoot) a SW 6906. She would do anything to protect our kids.

whiterabbit05
01-19-10, 15:31
Awesome boy!

Time to upgrade to 5.56...

ZDL
01-19-10, 15:39

Oscar 319
01-19-10, 16:00
I ended up dragging mine to the range a few times. During one of those trips she got bit by the bug and now happily accompanies me whenever I ask. Don't think it's ever been HER idea to go, yet, but she now enjoys going and learning practical skills.

Good for your son. How old is he and when did you start him on firearms? How? (I have a son in the oven :) I'm not worried about my daughter, she's so incredibly curious I'll be surprised if she's NOT interested)

He started pulling triggers at around 4.

I bought him a Henry Mini-Bolt at age 5. This was upgraded to a stainless 10/22 at age 10. He has added a folding stock, RDS, extended mag release and extra mags over the years.

He is now 13, an honor student and a great little buddy. He loves the G17 (under direct supervision) and has learned draw stroke and reloads. The little turd wants me to teach him mulfuction clearances he has watched me perform.

He also likes to clean guns. :cool: Educational, and good bonding time.

One day my wife will come around. She likes to shoot, she is just not "into it". It is the same story with my 11 year old daughter, who now uses the Mini-Bolt.

Roklok
01-19-10, 18:21

I find it unbelievable that you are questioning why the 11 year old son and his mother are in the same room after they hear someone breaking into their home.

RogerinTPA
01-19-10, 20:15
Excellent outcome. Someone should sponsor him in a pistol course.:)

Aurispector
01-19-10, 21:20
Awesome boy!

Time to upgrade to 5.56...

Yup. Somebody buy that kid an AR quick...

DragonDoc
01-19-10, 21:48

I guess I could ask the perp how everything went down. But then I would get stuck having to testify. Seriously though, the perp was in our ICU and he will probably talk to his nurses. They always have good info.

10MMGary
01-19-10, 22:48

THIS!