PDA

View Full Version : Beretta's 2010 offerings

Slater
01-18-10, 15:47
http://issuu.com/BerettaUSA/docs/92fs_bore?mode=embed&layout=http%3A%2F%2Fskin.issuu.com%2Fv%2Fdark%2Flayout.xml&showFlipBtn=true

Looking at the above brochure, Beretta is introducing the "92A1/96A1" series. Appears to be something of a marriage between the M9/92FS designs and the 90Two.

I dunno. I guess they figured "go with what works/sells".

Decent sellers or just also-rans in a polymer world?

rubberneck
01-18-10, 16:03
I don't think Beretta has been much of a player the last couple of years and I don't see anything in that literature that would be a big hit. I know a lot of people don't like them that much but I have a Vertec that I love and won't sell.

Business_Casual
01-18-10, 16:23
In what sense aren't they a "player" to your way of thinking? They have pretty hefty contracts with the DoD that include foreign sales to our partner countries, the Marines recently added the railed version and they just faced down the biggest challenge to that market when the 45 solicitation was shelved. Obama isn't going to order new pistols, either.

Major metropolitan police departments issue the M92FS or authorize it as well.

I'm not trying to break your balls but I am not going to agree that they aren't doing well.

M_P

rubberneck
01-18-10, 16:32
In what sense aren't they a "player" to your way of thinking? They have pretty hefty contracts with the DoD that include foreign sales to our partner countries, the Marines recently added the railed version and they just faced down the biggest challenge to that market when the 45 solicitation was shelved. Obama isn't going to order new pistols, either.

Major metropolitan police departments issue the M92FS or authorize it as well.

I'm not trying to break your balls but I am not going to agree that they aren't doing well.

M_P

Retail sales. FWIW those DoD contracts aren't going to last forever and I don't see Beretta as being ahead of the power curve add to that the fact that they are losing market share in LEO sales to designs like the M&P.

Slater
01-18-10, 16:40
From what I've seen on the various forums, a lot of Beretta fans want to buy an M9A1, but that model seems to be very hard to get (for whatever reason). OTOH, the 90Two doesn't seem to be doing all that well, maybe because of it's "futuristic" appearance.

NCPatrolAR
01-19-10, 13:27
I wouldnt mind picking up one of the 92A1s. Especially since it features a rail AND a removable front sight. That would probably be enough to get me to sell my Vertec.

bubba04
01-19-10, 14:10
This looks nice. I sold my old 92 FS but with these changes I may be looking at picking one up. I just wish you could carry it cocked and locked.

RD62
01-19-10, 16:50
I loved my 96, and would happily carry a new 92A1.

-RD62

olds442tyguy
01-19-10, 17:17
I think it looks pretty nice. Modernized, but still traditional.

ThirdWatcher
01-19-10, 18:08
I don't think Beretta has been much of a player the last couple of years and I don't see anything in that literature that would be a big hit.

I carried an agency-issued 92F for about a dozen years and I can't remember the last time I saw any model of Beretta pistol in a police holster in my corner of the world. When we converted to .40 S&W, I wrote a report requesting the consideration of the 96. The test model that arrived had been tested by another agency and it hadn't even been cleaned. :confused:

Contrast this with the deals that Glock and Smith & Wesson have made with LE agencies.

I like Beretta pistols (and I even own a few) but they lost the LE market a long time ago.

RAM Engineer
01-19-10, 19:38
So a comparison of the M9A1 vs the 92A1 and their relative merits would look like this?:

M9A1
1. More aggressive grip serrations (+)
2. Flat Trigger Guard (=)
3. Fixed Front Sight (-)
4. Single Rail slot (-)

92A1
1. Normal Grip serrations (-)
2. Round trigger guard (=)
3. Replaceable Front Sight (+)
4. Multi-slot rail (+)

Am I missing anything? A 92A1 with the M9A1 grip might get me (a die-hard Glock shooter) to buy one.

I wish I still had my Elite Border Patrol whatever Beretta. Or that I'd bought a Vertec or 92 SD when they were still available.

Outlander Systems
01-20-10, 07:08
Maybe they'll release some magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the CX4.

:rolleyes:

NCPatrolAR
01-20-10, 10:06
Maybe they'll release some magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the CX4.

:rolleyes:

Which CX4 model? The 9mm and .40 versions already hold more than 10 rounds.

Hapainwa
01-20-10, 10:22
Our department is just under 60 officers and a year after we bought the Vertecs, to replace our 96's, we were told that Beretta would no longer offer it. (Unless we order 50 or more.) So....we've had to look for new guns to replace the Vertec. While we've issued a few Sigs, similar DS/SA, we're seriously looking at the M&Ps and or a 1911 frame.

Slater
01-20-10, 10:46
I'd buy one of the new 92A1's if they were decently priced. One of my shooting buddies was a little less enthusiastic when I showed him the ad. His response was "why would I want to buy an obsolete handgun?". To each his own, I suppose, but the Beretta is still a favorite of mine.

NCPatrolAR
01-20-10, 10:50
, we're seriously looking at the M&Ps and or a 1911 frame.

I'd do the M&P over a 1911

ST911
01-20-10, 11:07
Years ago, I carried a Beretta 92FS concealed in a Desantis thumb break scabbard. Nice gun, nice shooter. They are reliable, but not durable. Durable enough for most that own them, though.

I carried an agency-issued 92F for about a dozen years and I can't remember the last time I saw any model of Beretta pistol in a police holster in my corner of the world.

At least Beretta hasn't reached Ruger's level of irrelovency in the LE market. Yet. It probably isn't far off.

When we converted to .40 S&W, I wrote a report requesting the consideration of the 96. The test model that arrived had been tested by another agency and it hadn't even been cleaned. :confused:

Not uncommon, from a variety of manufacturers. I've gotten T&E guns that were filthy, and/or had aftermarket and modified parts installed.

Agreed.

And a 1911 worthy of LE duty would be cost prohibitive for general issue.

Business_Casual
01-21-10, 22:13
http://pistol-training.com/archives/2436

Wow, somehow I was wrong and right at the same time.

M_P

ThirdWatcher
01-22-10, 01:03
At least Beretta hasn't reached Ruger's level of irrelovency in the LE market. Yet. It probably isn't far off.

At least Beretta doesn't have the "recall of the month" that Ruger seems to be plagued by.

Hapainwa
01-25-10, 12:31

NC, I hear ya. While the 1911 is great for those who are gun savy, they're still very high maint. for the armorers/g'smiths. Anyway, the 1911 possibility died quickly. While I do like mine, that I had to purchase, I don't think the 1911 is the best gun for general issue. The M&Ps aren't bugproof either, but are probably better for a general issue gun. Now if they could just clean up those triggers..........

Jerod
01-31-10, 01:13
I don't think the 1911 is the best gun for general issue. The M&Ps aren't bugproof either !

+ 100 ! I have seen both of those models go down in my local IDPA matches many times over the past 4-5 years . Never have seen a M9 ,Glock or Sig go down though . The M9 is a huge pistol that works when you need it to . End of story .

ralph
01-31-10, 11:03
NC, I hear ya. While the 1911 is great for those who are gun savy, they're still very high maint. for the armorers/g'smiths. Anyway, the 1911 possibility died quickly. While I do like mine, that I had to purchase, I don't think the 1911 is the best gun for general issue. The M&Ps aren't bugproof either, but are probably better for a general issue gun. Now if they could just clean up those triggers..........

With the sears, and radiused FPB plungers that Apex is offering that little problem will be a thing of the past...I've got a sear on order..I'm hoping it'll show up next week.