PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 96 and case head failure

Jaeger
01-18-10, 23:04
About a month ago I got offered a deal on a 96 that I couldn't pass up. I bought it and subsequently realized that I had a spare barrel/slide assembly for a 92 sitting in my armory. I picked up some 92 mags and since then, due to work and weather have not been able to shoot the pistol.

Today I had the day off and the weather was pretty darn nice so I grabbed all my Beretta stuff, a bag of ammo and headed off to the range.

I started with the 92. As long as you can work through that long first trigger pull it is one accurate pistol! It gobbled up everything I gave it and was a joy to shoot.
Then I switched over to the 96 barrel/slide assembly. The only .40 I had was some remanufactured Armscorp factory stuff. I saw this batch of .40 cause an issue with a Glock 35 the other year but attributed it to either a freak round of ammunition or the Glock firing slightly out of battery.

After running about 35 rounds of the Armscorp ammunition through the 96 I hear an odd pop, saw a lot of smoke and felt something smack into the brim of my hat. The slide was locked open with rounds still in the magazine. The head had blown off the case leaving the case walls still in the chamber.The trigger bar pin was was pushed out the the right about 1/8", pushing the right grip out slightly. I had some soot on my trigger finger but was unharmed.

There was no apparent damage to the slide or the frame. Everything was intact and a little push on the trigger bar popped it back in place. Other than the case still being stuck in the chamber the pistol seems good to go. (I'll let it soak in Kroil and try to remove it tomorrow.

I pulled the slide assembly off, examined the frame and put the 92 parts back in place. I ran a few more uneventful mags of 9mm through it and called it a day.

All in all, I'm pretty impressed with how the weapon handled the bad ammo. No injury, no damage. I'll run some ammo through it after I get the .40 barrel back in service to make sure.
When the Glock coped with the same ammunition trouble the other year it blew out the extractor and disassembled the magazine. The open top of the Beretta seems to have allowed the gas to vent out in such a manner as to cause minimal problems with the weapon.