PDA

View Full Version : Who's Front sling adapter would you use w/ this forearm??

Artos
01-19-10, 10:41
I have a YHM smooth rifle forearm on my sbr and using the asap and ms2 sling.

I did some searching but need some recommendations from the brain trust. I simply can't find anything that sets me on fire for a 2 point attachment.

Thanks!!

SWATcop556
01-19-10, 11:27
I use the CQD mount found seen here:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/CQD-Sling-Mount-Front-p/cqd%20fsm.htm

I modified mine though for the best function. I cut it in half to take up less rail-estate then rounded the edges. I also took a little material out of the inside of the mount to allow the MS2 to rotate better when attached. Finally I took a little metal off of the MS2 attachment for full rotation. Been running it this way for almost a year now and have not run into any issues.

I only use the MS2 in two point if I have to go hands on when everything is clear or I'm standing around for a long period of time. Other than that it's in single point.

RetreatHell
01-19-10, 12:26
Magpul is releasing a front sling attachment point specifically tailored for the MS2/MS3 slings, so you might want to wait for that to come out. It's in the new 2010 Magpul Catalog.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

Artos
01-19-10, 12:33
Thanks, If I want to have the attachment near the upper receiver, I really don't have a rail to use, so I'm pretty much tied to using one of the slots or drilling a hole, correct??

I have some rails up near the muzzle, but that point doesn't thrill me....I hope the new magpul addresses my options, but not sure what other direction I can go with this particular forearm & not having the quad.

RetreatHell
01-19-10, 13:58
Thanks, If I want to have the attachment near the upper receiver, I really don't have a rail to use, so I'm pretty much tied to using one of the slots or drilling a hole, correct??

I have some rails up near the muzzle, but that point doesn't thrill me....I hope the new magpul addresses my options, but not sure what other direction I can go with this particular forearm & not having the quad.

You can always use a Marine Corps sling attachment: AKA, the "Zip-Tie".

Okay I made up the Marine Corps part, since I'm a jarhead and all:cool:

But seriously, during my Magpul Dynamics Carbine 1 course, Chris Costa just had a zip-tie looped around his surefire weaponlight in a larue mount, and that's what he used for his front attachment point when he went into 2-point configuration with his MS2 sling.

A good quality zip-tie is strong as hell and ain't gonna break easily. I just don't know if I would attach the zip-tie to regular handguards or not, as I'm not sure if it could break something under hard use. You could definitely attach it to the FSB, but just check and make sure it ain't gonna melt on you during sustained fire. But I think you pointed out already that you don't prefer to use that location for the attachment point, sooooooo.....

Hope this helped at least a little bit, man. I'm out of ideas, bro.

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, so maybe next time I should actually look at the damn pics before I start writing shit:rolleyes: It's been a long day already. Yeah I see your issue now. Well you could definitely use the zip-tie and loop it in/out of two of the side-by-side slots in the rail. The only other option I see is an actual sling mount on the rails up front.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

Artos
01-19-10, 17:52
Do you think this would work & hold up?? I'm guessing this design is plenty strong.

http://www.pri-mounts.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PRI&Product_Code=05-070-04&Category_Code=AR15_M16_ACC

I actually like the zip idea for short term to go free hands...just hate to have an eye sore on what I think is a first class set up.

Jimbo45
01-20-10, 05:54
Since I didn't see any advantage to the MS2's lockjaw, and couldn't find a front sling loop or attach point, that worked very with it, I replaced the lockjaw with an HK hook. Its much easier to use, its lighter, and it accepts a much wider variety of sling attach points, than the lockjaw anyway.

I would go with an HK hook and pick up a rail mounted HK type attach point, and put it on the rail section, at the front of your handguard. Making the two point forward mounting location towards the rear or the handguard never made much sense to me anyway. It negates most of the benefit of the two point system.

If needed, I can post pics of my setup later on, although it would not be just like yours.

rychencop
01-20-10, 08:10
Magpul is releasing a front sling attachment point specifically tailored for the MS2/MS3 slings, so you might want to wait for that to come out. It's in the new 2010 Magpul Catalog.

Semper Fi,

-Paul

yea...just wait until this is released.

ForTehNguyen
01-20-10, 08:57
yea wait for the new Magpul RSA

Artos
01-20-10, 08:58
anyone have a pic of the new magpul product??

Jimbo45
01-20-10, 09:03
Looking at the 2010 Magpul catalog, the RSA does look like a nice option! Hopefully it will work with the MS2 lockjaw, for those that are using it. I like the design of the RSA, and will prolly pick one up. Plus, the MS3 looks to have improved hardware, over the MS2. Hopefully they went to 1 1/4" webbing, too. Maybe I should have waited for this one. Anyone want to buy a nice MS2? :D

Jimbo45
01-20-10, 09:05
anyone have a pic of the new magpul product??

http://www.magpul.com/assets/files/2010Catalog/4-TheoryBasedProducts.pdf

MrCleanOK
01-20-10, 18:34
My first thought was this (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Blue-Force-Universal-Wire-Loop-Sling-Mount-p/blue%20force%20gear%20uwl.htm) looped through the rear-most pair of slots in your handguard. Easy to take out if you want to run single-point only for a while, or put in if you expect to need it. Slightly classier than zip ties ;)

chumley311
01-20-10, 19:18
I use this one by MI.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwest-Industries-MCTAR-TS-p/mctar-ts.htm

I have it mounted at the end of a 12" rail, so it might not be to your liking, but it works great. The new Magpul RSA looks cool, I just don't like how it puts the connection point above (or below) the centerline of the rail/bore.