PDA

View Full Version : Anybody gotten into Triathlons?

scubadds
01-19-10, 14:02
I've got the Tri bug bad last January, its worse than BRD (black rifle disease)

Anyone else been bitten?
Gets you in shape as its a fabulous motivator to know you have to swim 1.2, bike 56 miles and run 13.1 and be held accountable for your time...
Signed up for about 8 more misc. Tri's for 2010.

RSS1911
01-19-10, 14:14
I watched one on TV once. It was exhausting.

Dos Cylindros
01-19-10, 14:23
I watched one on TV once. It was exhausting.
:D

Very funny! I think the tri's are a real test of both endurance and overall fitness. I am a marathon man myself.

scubadds
01-19-10, 14:35
Did the Marine Corps Mar. in '97 and doing another one in March.

Took me 13 years to forget about the last one..:D

I watched Kona Iron Man a few weeks ago and i had several friends in it, I think I will throw my name in the lottery for next year...ouch

Pathfinder Ops
01-19-10, 20:10
I was involved with the Glimmerglass Triathlon, in Cooperstown, NY for 14 of the last 25 years and the Race Director for 8 of those.

Low Drag
01-19-10, 21:11
If you're interested in endurance events check out Team In Training, they sponsor people in tri's, marathons, century (100 mile bike rides) and raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

I've done 2 seasons (Moab, Ut Century), you get coaching and plenty of motivation. Keep in mind the goal is to raise a ton of money for LLS, they don't play around. You raise if or you pay it.

BTW, about 70% of participants are women. (for you single gents out there - lots of 'fit chicks')

scubadds
01-20-10, 06:57
Some of the folks I've gotten to know have started running Ultra's.
One did the JFK 50 recently, I guess everything is relative; but that seems borderline crazy. There is a new tri event here this year.
Its a friday super sprint (short), Sat. morning Olympic distance, then a Sat afternoon Olympic distance, then a Sunday morning Half Iron Distance.
You are suppossed to do all 4 events in three days... ouch.
A training partner that just did Iron Man Arizona is going to do the 4 events...I think I am not ready yet or not sure I ever will try that one...

DBautista
01-22-10, 05:05
Yeah, Tris are pretty addictive. The "gear whore" syndrome is really bad when it comes to tri bikes!

I have two main triathlons to focus on this year: Ironman Eagleman 70.3 and Ironman Louisville.

The marathons and other 70.3 distance races are all tune-up workouts.

scubadds
01-28-10, 19:45
Yeah, Tris are pretty addictive. The "gear whore" syndrome is really bad when it comes to tri bikes!

I have two main triathlons to focus on this year: Ironman Eagleman 70.3 and Ironman Louisville.

The marathons and other 70.3 distance races are all tune-up workouts.

Nice!, two young kids makes the long rides tough. I am sticking with 1/2 Iron Distance for this year. I figured someone out there was obsessed with it also.
Great luck this season!

cervelorider
02-12-10, 22:19
I raced all distances from '02 - '08 NOTHING beats the feeling of those first few tri's . I remember crossing the finish line and being so blown away that I had actually finished the distance that I had to pinch myself ( I had been hopelessly out of shape prior). If you could bottle and sell that feeling of satisfaction of acomplishment you would be very rich.

Enjoy the thrills but don't get too crazy with it. Word to the wise, I know a lot of tri-geeks who still go hard at it, but they have no life outside of triathlon. To compete at the front you can't do anything else but swim, bike, run, period. No guns, no golf, no fishing, and no family.

Have fun, it's a great mental and physical test, and the race atmosphere is infectious. Remember to keep your family first and you will be happier in the long run.