PDA

View Full Version : RRA

newguy
01-19-10, 20:16
interested in a RRA want to hear all input good and bad all feedback appreciated

Fireglock
01-19-10, 20:21
Save yourself some grief and delete your post, they hate RRA here, not good enough. Do a search and you'll find plenty of cons here.

You can start here. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376

Artos
01-19-10, 20:38
They make a good accurate varmint AR....not a battle gun but every rra varmint rig I have messed with was really accurate and reliable.

Do yourself a favor and read ALL the sticky's.

RWK
01-19-10, 20:50
interested in a RRA want to hear all input good and bad all feedback appreciated

One of the rifles in my safe is a RRA Tactical CAR A4. The chamber was a little tight for a 5.56 but, not much; the carrier key staking was acceptable; the lower will not allow a full 30-rd magazine to seat without effort; it's extremely accurate. I've put a couple thousand rounds through it without issue.

Were I in the market today, I'd buy a BCM over a RRA, though.

...they hate RRA here, not good enough. Do a search and you'll find plenty of cons here.

Who are "they"? Next you'll be referring to "you people"... :mad:

Failure2Stop
01-19-10, 21:00
Save yourself some grief and delete your post, they hate RRA here, not good enough.

How about just stating your opinion and experience instead of telling him "their" opinion or hiding your opinion behind other's.

the_accuser
01-19-10, 21:32
I have a couple of RRA rifles and they have functioned just as good as my other higher priced brand AR's.

travistheone
01-19-10, 21:47
I have a RRA lower and it has never given me any trouble.

tarkeg
01-20-10, 10:27
My only experience comes from a sample of one. RRA flat-top upper. The chamber was a .223, but I was in the process of building up my tooling so I hit it with Ned's chamber reamer, problem solved. The worse flaw was an M4 upper receiver with a rifle barrel extension. That took some work, but i've gotten it to run 100% now. So it was a good learning experience, but I wouldn't buy another. For about the same money, I could have picked up an upper that was good from the get-go.

William B.
01-20-10, 12:25
I had a complete RRA upper on my first AR15 and it was horrible. It had an out-of-spec chamber. The bolt constantly seized in the chamber and it ended several of my range sessions early. I would not recommend it.

kdcgrohl
01-20-10, 13:05
Built mine outofa rifle kit + stripped lower, my first. I've no complaints from it after about 600 rounds & minimal cleaning. Gas key was NOT staked, had to fix that. Otherwise very happy. Reviews are not ALL bad like some would lead you to believe, seems to be a crap shoot though.

Kchen986
01-20-10, 13:25
Staking on the gas key could use some improvement, otherwise, I had ~2,000 flawless rounds out of my RRA CAR-A4. I loved that gun. But sold it to fund an LWRC.

01-20-10, 13:37
Other better choices for the $$$. With the prices of 6920's, Daniel Defense specials, and BCM; RRA is not the best pick. See "The Chart" for good info. on the why's.

Buy once ,cry once. For me, Colt, DD, and BCM quality can be had for not much more than a RRA. Probably echoing the sentiments of many here.

Use the search fctn., read, and make an educated decision. It will probably be the right one. Don't get in too big of a hurry and make a decision you may regret. Not saying the RRA is a total POS, but research may lead you to purchase a different brand. Best of luck to you and welcome to the wonderful world of evil black rifles.:cool:

MarshallDodge
01-20-10, 14:07
I used to like RRA and have a couple buddies that have them, all rifle length so they run well. Back then you could get one for $650 but now they are charging $1K for the same gun when they really haven't changed anything, they just became a household name is all.

Like 6933 said, for the same money you can get a better carbine.

Roklok
01-20-10, 14:21
I have an RRA stripped lower that will be the basis of my next build. I will mate it to a Bravo Company carbine upper. Never heard anything bad about their lowers.

ST911
01-20-10, 14:32
You could do far worse than RRA.

RRA could do far better.

In the end, they are filling needs of the customers that are buying their guns.

To mitigate issues that might arise, read the thread at the link Fireglock posted.

DialTone301
01-20-10, 14:33
I have 1 complete rifle that has been functional and accurate. I also have 1 of their complete lowers that has a Noveske upper on it. Again no problems to report.

frogger
01-20-10, 15:09
I had a complete RRA middy that I sold. My only complaint was the receiver end plate was so hard, I couldn't stake it. Both my current AR's (1 complete and 1 in process) have RRA LPK's with 2-stage NM triggers. No issues. If you are buying a complete rifle today, you can do better with your money, but many of their components are very good.

JonnyVain
01-20-10, 15:23
RRA is good as long as it's for civilian use. If you want to upgrade, you can put a BCM or Spikes BCG.

Mark21
01-20-10, 16:45
I'm a big fan of their lower with the two-stage NM trigger. Have two of those, and two LMT lowers with Sopmods (though I'm thinking about putting the Sopmods onto the RRA lowers as well).

The CARA4 I had was my first gun and just sold it after 3k+ flawless rounds to fund a new DD XV.

jkingrph
01-21-10, 10:30
I have used several of their lowers for some custom builds. They seem as good as any to me, only thing that might be better could be some of the billet types.

I have also been using their 2 stage "national match" triggers and have been very pleased. I don't shoot enough to justify Giesselle, or Jewels ( I have 3 Jewels) on any more guns. They lack the adjustable feature but I find that by lightly stoning the sear surfaces prior to assembly they are nice, smooth acting 2 stages.