PDA

View Full Version : Benchmade Curse?

K.L. Davis
03-26-07, 20:43
I broke another Benchmade today...

I got to thinking that maybe I am just really hard on knives, so I did a quick check and found a Gerber, CRKT, Spiderco, Black Jack (old school), Randall, about a half dozen SAKs and a couple of customs that all have been with me for at least 10 years (some more than double that) -- but I have 3 broken Benchmades and not a one of them more than a couple of years old.

So is it just me? I see some folks swear by them... could it be that crazy old guy's mojo really worked?

Robb Jensen
03-26-07, 21:32
I've broken a few Benchmades and wore out a folding Strider. I wasn't charged for any of them for repair.

K.L. Davis
03-26-07, 22:10
I've broken a few Benchmades and wore out a folding Strider. I wasn't charged for any of them for repair.

Yeah... it just seems weird that I have such bad luck with one brand. I should add that I have broken a LOT of knives, chipped edges, snapped tips off, broke locks, cracked handles -- but in almost every case I was thinking "this is probably going to break my knife", only moments before they broke. I can accept that if I wedge the blade in a crack and use the handle as a step, the knife may break...

The weird thing is that the BMs seem to just break... really no abuse. In every case it has been an auto: two are no longer autos, you push the button and nadda; one still opens with the assist, but will not lock open? Oh well, they are worth exactly what I payed for them -- not sure if they are worth the postage to send them back to get fixed or not?

David Thomas
03-26-07, 23:22
My favorite Benchmade (Osborne design - not sure of the model number) seems to have a thin blade and I have numerous chips in it. This knife has never been abused, but carried daily due to its light weight.

However, my Snody designed Benchmade has held up to much more abuse with no signs of any damage.
The Osborne is S30v steel and the Snody is 154CM (I think)

Which models of Benchmade knives are you breaking?

K.L. Davis
03-27-07, 20:10
Which models of Benchmade knives are you breaking?

One is NSN-1095-01-456-4457, the older two were BM2000s according to the box.

R.D.
03-27-07, 20:30
I have 3 benchmade folders. The 2 AFCKs have been carried daily for at least 8 years. Both are still in good condition. One has been rebuilt by Benchmade as the grip screws were threaded into the G10 and stripped out after a few years. I'll sometimes switch out one of them for another knife but I always carry one of them in my strong side pocket. I only use them for cutting not prying or as screwdrivers. I just touch up the edge about once or twice a week with a diamond hone and they stay shaving sharp. I use them mostly for cutting cardboard and in the winter I use them to skin the occasional coon that has a particularly nice pelt. I almost always have a gerber multiplyer on my belt to use for non cutting tasks. That said they are not the stoutest knife out there by a long shot as I'm sure you all know. While I have been considering upgrading to a Strider for EDC in the defensive role I am comfortable with the benchmade as a utility knife.

K.L. Davis
03-27-07, 21:10
I don't think they ever made an auto AFCK? I know it would have been a hit, I like Spyderco's designs and the AFCK is a great knife -- until they putzed it up with the Axis lock (just my opinion).

jsta5.56shooter
03-27-07, 21:21
are you by chance using them as prybars??

R.D.
03-27-07, 22:50
K.L. I agree about the axis lock. I am glad I picked up a second AFCK with the liner lock and Spiderco hole before they discontinued that model. Where I live it is illegal and a felony to carry an auto so I don't have any at this time.

K.L. Davis
03-27-07, 22:57
R.D. - I really like the AFCK, truth is I am not a fan of autos really, but that is what is issued... it just seems the auto spring and guts on the ones I have had are a bit *delicate* -- hell, one of the knives has done no more arduous duty than making sandwiches and it gave up the ghost!

baffle Stack
03-27-07, 23:36
are you by chance using them as prybars??

I too would like to know the answer to this. Buy a strider if you're going to use it like that. Benchmades are cutting tools. They're often made of plastic, Not suitable for prying.

K.L. Davis
03-28-07, 00:23
Guys... lighten up. This was just sort of a "weird thing happened to me in life" thing, not slaying any sacred cows. If you read back through the thread, I think you will see that I said a few times that all I was curious about was the auto spring/lock/mechanism of the knives, as I have a very high loss rate with just this brand -- you may also see that it seems to occur even on those knives that are not subjected to any abuse...

Now I am perfectly cool with breaking a knife if I am misusing it... I am sure that there is not a knife made that will not break when the time comes -- do I use them as pry bars? Damn straight, when the occasion calls for it... so shame on me. Like I said, I can count dozen upon of dozens of times that I knew full well that I was going to break a blade... I can not even begin to imagine tapping on a lexan window and telling an injured person inside "hey... I would like to try to get you out, but I am afraid that I may break the tip off of my knife... okay?"

I understand that certain blades are for certain jobs... and I have a few that do nothing but sit on a shelf and get shown off from time to time, but for the most part they are expendable tools -- But if I have a knife that I call an "all purpose" knife, then rest assured that it will be used for all purposes; I just like to know what to expect from the brand.

So there it is... I could give a rat's dick who made the knife really, if they can't stand taller than the line, they just don't get on the ride.

baffle Stack
03-28-07, 03:09
Ahh, gotta love your honesty. Its refreshing. :D Honestly, I would look at the "sharpend prybar" option in your situation. I use my benchmade Griptilian for cutting and VERY LIGHT DUTY prying. Its good for nothing more. It’s a great cutter, but a horribal prybar. Think of it like Colt vs. Bushmaster. Sure the Bushy's going to get the requirement done but if you want a pure workhorse... look at strider. Sure they've had their share of "internet controversy" but who the F*ck cares if they get the job done There are many Striders w/ NSN.