PDA

View Full Version : Broken CH Roll Pins?

DWood
01-20-10, 07:48
Lots of discussion running about the advantages of the Gunfighter charging handles. How many of you have broken roll pins, or had some other failure, with your non GF charging handles?

Please list the make of the CH, how it broke, and an approximate round count (if you know) when the CH failed. Photos would be great too if you have them.

Disclaimer: I have two LMT carbines with Gas Buster charging handles; only 1000 rounds or so through each gun. If the GF was available, I would have put them on my guns when I got them. This is a legitimate request for info on problems with CH design; don't take it as anything else.

PS I plan on getting a Mod 3 for my gun with an S & B Short Dot and a Mod 3 for the gun with an Aimpoint M-4

rychencop
01-20-10, 08:07
i have never had one fail. i bought my GFCH for the robust design and beefy latch. 100% solid.

Belmont31R
01-20-10, 10:01
Never had one break but have had one walk out while shooting.

So far I have around 4k rounds down range using the BCM GF'er with zero issues, and its by far the best CH Ive used. My normal setup was standard forged CH with PRI Big Latch, and Ive had a few Gasbusters over the years. I still have one carbine with a Big Latch, and it sucks now...lol

So I guess "ease of use" and increased manipulation capabilities are why I like it so much, and the roll pin issue is secondary.

DWood
01-20-10, 10:03
So I guess "ease of use" and increased manipulation capabilities are why I like it so much, and the roll pin issue is secondary.

Good info.

JimT
01-20-10, 10:27
Lots of discussion running about the advantages of the Gunfighter charging handles. How many of you have broken roll pins, or had some other failure, with your non GF charging handles?

Please list the make of the CH, how it broke, and an approximate round count (if you know) when the CH failed. Photos would be great too if you have them.

I have broken at least three roll pins on a single LMT charging handle outfitted with a PRI Big Latch. There are two other charging handles that have also had their roll pins fail and replaced on a couple of occassions. These two are Bushmasters. All three are considered unusable by my standards as it will only take about a three hour range trip's worth of support side weapon manipulations to get fresh roll pins to back out and either start running into the upper or lower receivers.

For the LMT CH, I had about 3k through it and 2k for each Bushmaster. All three did not have contiguous rounds through them as the roll pins were replaced in between round counts. They all had their own PRI Big Latches and those eventually had their roll pin holes hogged out due to damaged pins.

Unfortunately, no photos, but I can try and post some up.

As of right now the GF Mod4 on my primary carbine has about 1500 through it and shows absolutely NO easily visible signs of roll pin drift/failure.

glocktogo
01-20-10, 12:30
Never had one break but have had one walk out while shooting.

Same here.

bkb0000
01-20-10, 12:46
are you trying to assess how common it is? 'cause most people responding will be people who've had them break and have a story to tell. so it'll seem like it's very common- it's not that common. if you add a poll, more people who've never had one break will contribute.

DWood
01-20-10, 18:54
are you trying to assess how common it is? 'cause most people responding will be people who've had them break and have a story to tell. so it'll seem like it's very common- it's not that common. if you add a poll, more people who've never had one break will contribute.

It is my hope that the only people responding are those who have had failures, since that is how I phrased the question. I would like to know who has had them fail, how they failed, what brands they were, and after how many rounds. It's not a scientific question and I really don't need a poll of peoples opinions.

hayes
01-20-10, 19:04
I've broken the roll pin on a CMT charging handle with a PRI big latch after about 6k rounds and lots of racking (training / clearing drills) the charging handle. I replaced it with a solid pin and all is good for the last 3k rounds.

JimT
01-20-10, 19:11
I've broken the roll pin on a CMT charging handle with a PRI big latch after about 6k rounds and lots of racking (training / clearing drills) the charging handle. I replaced it with a solid pin and all is good for the last 3k rounds.

Interesting. If you don't mind me asking, what material and where did you pick the solid pin up from?

Fireglock
01-20-10, 19:14
Read here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16947&highlight=buster

hayes
01-20-10, 19:31
I used a high quality stainless steel (I don't remember exact series) rod and made to size.

Stretz Tactical Inc
01-20-10, 19:36
My buddy broke his LMT charging handle - brand new gun, first or second time on the range.

Iraqgunz
01-21-10, 02:15
When I was in Iraq my company was using Bushamsters on 2 separate contracts. On one of them the weapons were being used by TCN's and their clearing procedures were not the best of plans. Long story short due to all of the cycling they started to see quite a few pins shearing.

These weapons were probably being cycled a dozen times a day, 7 days a week, 365. Over a span of about 8 months they broke around 50 handles.

I just picked up a new charging handle while at SHOT from PRI. It uses a solid stainless steel roll pin and has the new profile serrated latch. Not making any judgements about it other than it looks solid. I also have BCM handles and like them alot.

rychencop
01-21-10, 06:35
It is my hope that the only people responding are those who have had failures, since that is how I phrased the question. I would like to know who has had them fail, how they failed, what brands they were, and after how many rounds. It's not a scientific question and I really don't need a poll of peoples opinions.

seems to me by the type of responses you have received, it's not all that common. why don't you explain a bit more as to why you want this specific information. :confused:

DWood
01-21-10, 11:20
I think it is good to know what CH failures others have experienced with specific equipment. Before the GF came out, I wasn't aware that there was a problem with some charging handles. Apparently CHs fail sometimes,in different ways. Why not learn through the experience of others? Simple as that.