PDA

View Full Version : Recipes?

rob_s
01-20-10, 08:38
Have we done this already? Let's keep in mind the nature of the "fitness and nutrition" section and not start posting up crazy recipes for fat boiled in fat lard with chocolate chunks and marshmallows. :D

Iraq Ninja
01-20-10, 08:51
I am sure some of our medics have recipes on how to marinate with normal saline solution. Good use for those expired IV bags in remote locations.

The food over here generally sucks in the dining facilities. I like to cook my own tandoori style chicken. Here is the recipe I have modified based on what we can get our hands on:

MARINADE:

1 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
2 tbsp. oil

1. Remove chicken skin. Make diagonal slashes 1/2 inch deep and 1 inch apart. Place in a large bag (1000 ml IV bags work well).

2. In small bowl combine the yogurt, spices and oil. Coat chicken with marinade working into slashes. Cover and marinate at least 2 hours at room temperature or up to 24 hours refrigerated.

3. Grill over medium hot coals until lightly browned on bottom about 15 minutes and continue cooking, turning and basting, until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 15-20 minutes longer.

rob_s
01-20-10, 09:14
IN, that sounds awesome. Might have to try that this week!

Derek_Connor
01-20-10, 09:36
I made this a couple days ago, it was fantastic.

I made a 2nd version WITHOUT beer to keep the calories/carbs down, I used chicken broth instead. Its a variation of chili I found at one of the Primal Forums. All meet used was pastured/grass-fed:

4-Meat Primal Chili:

3 tablespoons Coconut Oil
3 Table Spoons Bacon Fat
2 onions, diced (1 purple, 1 regular)
1 mix of bell peppers (approx half green, yellow, red)
3 pasilla peppers, seeded and diced
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded/diced
1 pound sirloin tips
1 pound country style sausage
1 pound chuck
5 strips of bacon, diced
2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground coriander
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 cinnamon stick
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, crushed
1 Dogfish Head 120minute [OR] Chicken/Beef Broth
2-4 tablespoons canned chipotle chile, diced

Served w/Raw Milk Cheese and Sour Cream, as desired.

Sone
01-21-10, 16:47
about to put this on the grill, I used boneless chicken.

I am sure some of our medics have recipes on how to marinate with normal saline solution. Good use for those expired IV bags in remote locations.

The food over here generally sucks in the dining facilities. I like to cook my own tandoori style chicken. Here is the recipe I have modified based on what we can get our hands on:

MARINADE:

1 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 tbsp. paprika
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 - 1 1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. salt (optional)
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
2 tbsp. oil

1. Remove chicken skin. Make diagonal slashes 1/2 inch deep and 1 inch apart. Place in a large bag (1000 ml IV bags work well).

2. In small bowl combine the yogurt, spices and oil. Coat chicken with marinade working into slashes. Cover and marinate at least 2 hours at room temperature or up to 24 hours refrigerated.

3. Grill over medium hot coals until lightly browned on bottom about 15 minutes and continue cooking, turning and basting, until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 15-20 minutes longer.

Gutshot John
01-21-10, 18:34
Low-cal Caesar dressing:
Equal parts extra virgin olive oil (infused with crushed garlic); lime juice (use half the amount if you prefer lemon juice); worsteschire sauce. Mix and add a bit of anchovie paste.

Homemade vinaigrette:
2 parts extra virgin olive oil and 1 part acid (red wine vinegar, balsamic, lemon juice etc.), salt (kosher or sea), pepper, oregano crushed garlic and a teaspoon or so of dijon mustard. Mustard is an emulsifier so if you put it in a blender it will mix and stay mixed. You can make a tomato vinaigrette variation on this by de-seeding a tomato and adding the tomato pulp into the blender. All vinaigrettes are 2 parts oil to 1 part acid using whatever herbes/seasonings you want so go nuts and create your own.

Grilled/broiled chicken salad:
Use ranch or other fat-based dressing (ranch, blue cheese etc.) and marinade a chicken breast, the dressing will give a nice char and keep the chicken from drying out. Preheat grill or broiler ~5 minutes a side, let sit for 5-10 minutes then slice over your fav salad. Using the above dressing it works well.

Roast chicken:
Line the interior of a roasting chicken with salt, rub the outside with olive oil, sprinkle thyme and other herbes de provence. Prepare pan with bed of cut carrots, onions and potatoes, sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper. Place roaster breast side down, preheat oven to 425 degrees, cook for 45 minutes, remove from oven and stir veggies. Flip chicken to breast-side up, reduce temperature to 350 and cook for about another hour or until done. With the leftover carcass you can then make...

Chicken Stock:
Easy as pie to make and can be used in sauces or soup. Chopped mirepoix (carrot, celery and onion are sometimes referred to as the "holy trinity" of cooking and are staples I always have some in the fridge). Put chopped veggies in pot with chicken carcass, salt/pepper and cover with water and slow simmer for about 2 hours, occasionally adding a bit of water if you boil off too much. The longer you cook it the better it will be but you don't need to do anything more than 4 hours. Substitute beef (stew bones) for chicken and you can do a beef stock, this usually takes less time than chicken.

WillBrink
01-24-10, 08:29
Have we done this already? Let's keep in mind the nature of the "fitness and nutrition" section and not start posting up crazy recipes for fat boiled in fat lard with chocolate chunks and marshmallows. :D

Rob at co, if interested, there is a free download of good recipes here:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articledetails.php?acatid=7&aid=132

Tons of recipes in that pdf, with full breakdown of cals/macros, etc.