PDA

View Full Version : Glocks new metal treatment???

Drew78
01-20-10, 17:41
Hey everyone-

I have been hearing "rumors" both on the web and in speaking to people (i.e. Glock armorers) that Glock is going to start or has started using a new type of metal treatment.

I have heard that the Tennifer process is banned in the USA by the EPA and thus Glock has switched over to Melonite. I have also heard that the 2 are the same thing, just differnent names for the trademark in different countries?

I have also heard that Glock will now be using an "new and improved" version of Tennifer that is applied via a spray vs. a dipping process.

anyone know anything about all this?

I know that Glock has been making full sized frames in the US for some time now, but are they making the complete slide here too?

Just looking for some clarification on this as the metal treatment that is Tennifer has always been a strong selling point for me in regards to the Glock platform. Also regarding the Melonite, if you search the web, you will see plenty of reports of early M&P's with Melonite that were rusting really badly with out neglect. Converstaions on that point lead me to believe that something in the process they were using was not going right, and others blamed the use of stainless steel under the Melonite as a cause.

A bit confused on the direction of the metal treatment on new Glocks, any help!?!

Thanks in advance!

-Drew

emt370
01-20-10, 18:44
When I took my last armorer class, they stated that they had no intention of making the slides in the US as of now, so Tenifer will remain as it is. What they are doing is adding the black finish in a different manner, so it is more matte now, like the older generations and not slick/shiny like the past few years. Remember, the Tenifer has no color, it is merely a surface treatment to harden the steel.

Drew78
01-20-10, 18:48
Thanks for the reply. When did you take the class? I am not concerned with the black coating, just curious about the hardening process and if they are changing it.

Thanks again for your feedback!

DWood
01-20-10, 19:02
I took the class in January and Glock stated that there is a new process, that is not Tenifer, used on slides made in the US for export.

Drew78
01-20-10, 19:05
Thanks DWood-

Did your instructor give your class any additional information in regards to what they are now going to use?

Have they dropped the metal hardening treatment all together?

emt370
01-21-10, 09:39
My class was in the middle of last year, so maybe something changed since then. Hopefully if there is a change it is just for export because the Tenifer is so proven that I would hate to lose that in the US market.

Drew78
01-21-10, 09:41
agreed...that is my concern.

I just cant see Glock dropping this type of finish give it has to be one of the MANY strong points of their platform.

99HMC4
01-21-10, 13:52
I dropped my G37 slide off my work bench once and it fell 3 foot to the concrete floor. Hit right at the muzzle. Chipped the floor and got concrete dust on the slide, that was it. No chip, dent or scratch. Thats some good stuff....

1oldgrunt
01-21-10, 22:22
If you look at new Glocks the bbls are a dull grey. they are Meloniting the bbls now. They will soon be using Melonite on the slides also. That way everything can be done in house in CONUS. Tennifer is not EPA approved.