PDA

View Full Version : MIAD attachment question

Gianavel
01-20-10, 19:18
I swapped the A2 handgrip on my DD XV for a MIAD. The instructions said not to use the OEM attachment screw, but the one provided by Magpul. The problem is, the Magpul screw locks up when it's only about halfway in - and I mean, really locks up tight.

Can I just use the OEM screw and lockwasher, or is this going to give me issues? I'm ready to get that sweet MIAD attached . . .

andy t
01-20-10, 20:04
Try scraping the existing locktite off the provided screw and then screwing it all the way in and out without the grip first.
You can't use the regular screw as is since it's too long. I cut one to the lenght of Magpul's screw and was good to go.

Gianavel
01-20-10, 20:47
Thanks, Andy. That ought to do it!

frogger
01-21-10, 01:41
Try scraping the existing locktite off the provided screw and then screwing it all the way in and out without the grip first.
You can't use the regular screw as is since it's too long. I cut one to the lenght of Magpul's screw and was good to go.

I have two MIAD grips installed and both use the regular screw with zero issues. Not sure why you would say it is too long, but this is not the case.

andy t
01-21-10, 07:36
From magpul:

As long as your original is ¾” long you shouldn’t have a problem. If it is much longer than that it may protrude into your receiver…

frogger
01-21-10, 15:06
From magpul:

Interesting. Both of my lowers are from CMMG and the hole that the grip screw enters does not go all the way through the lower. So, unless the screw was actually drilling away metal as I tightened it, this would be impossible. I'm not sure how long the screws I used were and I'm not removing them to measure, but they both came out of an RRA LPK and I was able to tighten them all the way down with no issue. I just prefered the original screws since the hex head was easier to get a hold of than a flat head when reaching up into the grip.

SWATcop556
01-21-10, 18:23
A little solvent and a wire brush. Take that combo to the provided screw and break up the thread locker that comes from Magpul. A few drops of some blue locktite and you should be GTG.

Gianavel
01-22-10, 07:40
Alright, thanks for the replies, guys!

I went ahead and used the OEM screw with OEM lockwasher and one extra washer for good measure. With the two washers on it, the OEM screw is not much longer than the Magpul screw at all. Before I installed it, I ran the OEM screw into the shaft (for lack of a better term) to see if it would protrude into the receiver. I saw nothing to indicate this occurred.

So far, the grip is held very firmly, and I have experienced no functional issues while dry practicing.

If y'all see any major problems, here, let me know . . . otherwise, I'm running with it.

Gianavel
01-22-10, 07:41
A little solvent and a wire brush. Take that combo to the provided screw and break up the thread locker that comes from Magpul. A few drops of some blue locktite and you should be GTG.

I'll keep that in mind if my current setup doesn't work for whatever reason. Thanks for the advice!