PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Holsters

Animal_Mother556
01-21-10, 07:56
Ive been trying to decide for a long time how to carry concealed. I am 6 foot 4 inches and weigh around 300 lbs. I think I have decided to go with a shoulder rig but I know nothing about them. Could someone let me know about comfort issues I will be facing and the best brand or models. I will be carrying a G22.

tracker722
01-21-10, 12:44

Animal_Mother556
01-21-10, 13:22
I wear button up shirts in public all the time (cant remember the last time i wore a tshirt in public). This is why I am wanting to go with a shoulder rig. So, for the way I dress...I should be able to carry in the same position all year. Consistency is something I am looking for.

cathellsk
01-22-10, 00:02
I'm also interested in some advice for the shoulder holster but due to a back injury (3 slipped disks and 2 pinched nerves that hurts occasionally if too much weight is on my belt line). Gun will be a G19 or J frame or both.

SWATcop556
01-22-10, 01:32
For me personally I have no use for a shoulder rig. They flop around too much and I always got my cover garment cluster****ed in there some how. Reloads were also a bitch.

Like you said being consistent is key so I keep my gear on my belt line.

Freakdaddy
01-22-10, 12:38
I have the Galco Miami Classic II and it seems to be well made. The II has wider shoulder straps which helps distribute the weight of the gun plus the mag carrier is in the horizontal position making the mags more easily accessible. I also have the tie-down straps that does help stabilize it but there really isn't much movement without them. Still, a nice accessory to have and I do use them if I'm wearing a suit. Most of the time, I wear it when I am wearing a tucked in shirt (no tie-downs) or especially now in the winter months when IWB would be too deep of concealment due to clothing.

Although this one is more expensive, I really like the design of the Andrews Monarch rig. Reviews from people on other forums who own them really give it props. It seems like it would definitely keep the gun stable especially when drawing or just doing regular activities.
http://www.andrewsleather.com/

I've also heard good things about the Alessi Bodyguard holsters as well.

Pathfinder Ops
01-22-10, 17:13
I carry full size 1911 year round with a few exceptions and the only time I use a shoulder rig is if I'm driving long distances.

Its a much better approach for getting to my firearm if sitting in the car and less pressure on my hip/ lower back when seated long term.

Otherwise I seldom see it as useful or even convenient. It is certainly a slower draw for me than coming out of an IWB or OWB.

BT2012
01-22-10, 17:42
I have a shoulder holster and personally I find it uncomfortable and used it only twice. One thing to consider is you have to practice unholster and holster. I agree with SWATcop1911 about the firearm flopping around. Also keep in mind you will probably see the outline of the shoulder holster especially in the summer with the light fabric. I prefer belt holster or IWB holster which is more secure and simpler with the draw and holstering.

Animal_Mother556
01-22-10, 18:40
What do you guys recommend for a 1911 belt holster? I would prefer IWB and one that would hold a TLR1 flashlight if possible.

Vendetta
01-22-10, 18:47
What do you guys recommend for a 1911 belt holster? I would prefer IWB and one that would hold a TLR1 flashlight if possible.

For a IWB with a light, nothing beats a Raven holster. Awesome kydex and can be easily switched to OWB. I would get that and call it done.

williejc
01-22-10, 19:40
My limited experience with shoulder holsters was not good--for all of the reasons cited above. I suggest that you look at Kirkpatrick Leather's offerings in belt holsters for the 1911. Blackhawk's Avenger has proved comfortable and discrete as a belt rig for my HK P2000. I'm elderly and arthritic and the Avenger has been more comfortable than any other belt rigs.

G-2
01-23-10, 10:36
For long car time the shoulder rig is useful. We have a Del Fatti rig. As was stated earlier, there are a lot of cons to it, which must all be considered, and evaluated before use.

tracker722
01-23-10, 16:27

Buck
01-23-10, 16:44
I will be carrying a G22.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23686/catid/22/Stylemaster_Shoulder_Rig

Give the Dillon Stylemaster a try... You will be very happy... All shoulder rigs are not created equal...

B

CobraBG
01-29-10, 09:53
Another vote for the Galco Miami Classic. Mine is very comfortable and I like to use it when wearing jackets. I carry either a 1911 or a Glock 30SF in it. Depending on my attire I will also use a hip holster. When shorts and a T shirt are all I'm wearing, I'll use a pocket holster for my .38 special.

It never made sense to me to depend on one style of carry only.

thopkins22
01-29-10, 12:48
We often hear crossdraw vests denounced because you're pretty much guaranteed to sweep yourself or sweep your buddy when drawing/re-holstering. What makes a shoulder holster any different?

Not being a dick...I'm always interested in easier ways to carry concealed.

tracker722
01-29-10, 13:06

Beat Trash
01-29-10, 13:19
Issues I have with all shoulder holsters;

Straps can print under only a button shirt, as OP is suggesting, and even under a jacket. Looks as if you are wearing a "Man Bra"

Thing flops around as you move, even with the straps attached to your belt, causing printing and things flopping against your ribs.

Ever try to run, jump, climb, get into a foot pursuit while wearing one?

Draw is slower, (for me anyway).

Weapon retention sucks compared to other methods.

The only time I could justify using one is if seated for extended periods in a confined area, such as driving.

VooDoo6Actual
01-29-10, 13:41
Good suggestions in here.

I'll add this suggestion to the mix.

I use them on MANY deployments.

USSS & FAM use them and are on their approved list etc.

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

NO printing issues and I'm a fairly large individual.

Not you stature, but similar so I understand your concerns.

They are light, can be worn for long sustained periods (12 hours+ no problemo)

Good for vehicles, HELO's, sports, skiing, snowmobiling, climbing. hiking or any other tight, confined spaces or AO's etc..

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0490Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0472Large.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/IMG_0475Large.jpg

YMMV and good luck on your quest...

tracker722
01-29-10, 13:45

G-2
01-29-10, 14:35
Survival Sheath is great stuff. Robert really makes one of the better rigs, and he is the only one that makes the rig Hop's got on (that we know of). Have one of those rigs and they are tops, fast draw, easily well concealed.

BillSWPA
01-29-10, 22:54
I have been quite happy with my Galco Miami Classic, and recommend it without hesitation. However, the Survival Sheath holsters have the advantage of not having to grab the gun in the perfect position to hit the thumb break - the easiest part of the draw for me to flub.

Suggestions for making the shoulder holster work better:

1) Adjust the straps so that the holster and magazine pouch are positioned as high as you can get them without causing them to cant outward. At this height, they will not flop around.

2) Avoid belt tie downs. They tend to pull the holster in various ways as you move, increasing printing of the holster.

3) Raise your left arm as you draw to prevent covering your own arm.

4) Practice drawing with your weak hand. This can be done relatively easily, but you will end up covering your torso.

5) Adjust the straps to keep the harness away from the back of your neck.

6) Some muzzle-up, butt down orientation of the gun helps concealment.

I have found that shoulder holsters conceal better under a lightweight waist-length jacket than an IWB holster. Adjusted properly, they can be worn for many hours without discomfort.

I don't worry about gun grabs. The fact that someone must make the attempt from your front makes it easier to spot and deal with. The only time I see a disadvantage would be in a wrestling match.

Despite the above, I haven't worn a shoulder holster since 2004. The reason: I can practice drawing from a strong side hip holster at the range where I am a member, but there is no safe way to practice with a shoulder holster. A complete 180 degree arc is covered during the draw. For this reason, my skill level with a strong side hip holster is much higher than with a shoulder holster.