PDA

View Full Version : AAR Crye/Eagle EAG Carbine

Pat_Rogers
03-27-07, 04:13
EAG conducted a Industry Special Carbine Operators class for my friends at Crye and Eagle- plus a few others.

The class started off with overcast that turned into a light but steady rain that melted targets and caused the Crye 16 pax ford to turn into a people powered behemoth that required people pushing to get it off of the range.
TD2 started out with a continuation of the rain, and the previous days problems with mud (no gun will run w/ mud in the chamber) was rectified when Harlan Williamson opened up his Fredrick County Firearms store to permit the class to clean out guns and mags in relative comfort.
TD3 was (of course) beautiful.......

The Crye guys had 2 who had never fired before, and 4 who had minimal experience. Scott Carver and Todd Kennedy of Eagle are accomplished shooters, and the others attending were likewise experienced.

One brand new Stoner did not run at all, probably because of a poor gas block. He finished with one of my Colts.
Another shooter had an Armalite which ran like a sewing machine. Caleb's bushamster like wise just keeps running, class after class.
One of my older big hole Colt lowers requires an offset pin. The 5th of the dpms offset pins that i bought 2 years ago once more broke- and she finished using Mike's MRP.
The remainder of the class used Colt's; Colt lowers with Noveske, Larue or BCM uppers; LMT lowers w/ Noveske uppers, or Stag lowers with Colt uppers.
One BCM Command upper has over 5k rounds through it without a single burp.

The 18 shooters fired between 1200-1600+ 5.56 and 200+ pistol (depending on the relay.

I put 14 Pmags in the class, and my experience with them is that they are very good to go. We had one mag that was a problem. However, Jose figured out that he was actually loading 31 into the mag (and probably could have loaded 32). When correctly loaded w/ 30- it ran fine. With 31, it sucked.
In police work, we call this a clue....
One shooter had all brand new CPmags. None worked. We replaced them with HK mags and the gun ran fine.
We believe that the feed lips may have been out of spec causing the BC to drag across them.
Crye bought a bunch of new Brownell's mags, of which a number would not drop free (i don't recall exact numbers).
One student was using 6 of my new Brownells mags which worked fine (as did the other 34 from that same lot i purchased last year.

Don't fall in love with your mags- individual mags may/ may not be problematic.

No ammo related problems as Crye/ Eagle used red box Fed- some of the guests used M855. No steel cased, no 4th world surplus and no XM anything. Whew....

One of my loaner EOTechs went down for the 5th (and probably final) time. Once more, and as always, corrosion in the battery box, weak battery springs, a crushed contact nipple and a crushed battery buffer.
Truthfully, this sight has over 30K rds through it, and is past its useful service life.

Many thanks to Mike Hueser for his hard work, and to Jonny Laplume who came out to play but who jumped into work anyway.
Jonny is finished with USG service, and is now Director of R&D for ADS, a Prime Vendor.
Mega kudos also to Harlan Williamson, Jose, Rusty and one other for their input and assistance.
Thanks to the owners of The Cove for the use of their land while WX related issues with the real range are sorted out.

The Crye guys did well for a number of reasons. One was they are a team, and they had some pre training administered by Caleb in NY prior to the class. The other was a commonality of purpose and the resulting peer pressure which sorted out a bunch of potential issues during breaks and at the end of the day.
They jocked up with armor/ LBE upon arrival, and kept it on until we secured at the end of the day>
While these classes are fun, they also provide direct input for what Crye and Eagle do for the guys in the fight. Being able to function in a training environment enhances their ability to design and make kit that will be used by the good guys as they continue to eradicate the islamihajifacists.

We are looking forward to the next one.

Pics an more on Alumni.

Boss Hogg
03-27-07, 06:17
Great AAR! Sounds like a solid class, as usual.

Pat, I was surprised to hear that 5 x DPMS offset adapter pins have gone down. Have you had better experience with Brownells' version?

Pat_Rogers
03-27-07, 06:54
Boss- i bought these dpms offset pins from Brownell's several years ago when i was unable to find anything else.
They all broke after little use.
I am phasing out those lowers, but Paul Paskey turned me on to the Colt pins from SAW.
That will be the interim fix until i can replace the lowers.

This was a terrific class, but then again, the Crye classes always are. It would be nice if other companies would actually run what they make..

Robb Jensen
03-27-07, 07:36
So that's where Harlan was on Saturday when I stopped by his shop. ;)

Pat_Rogers
03-27-07, 08:54
Roger. Harlan provided a great service for us on Saturday- whew!!

Boss Hogg
03-27-07, 08:57
bought these dpms offset pins from Brownell's several years ago when i was unable to find anything else. They all broke after little use. I am phasing out those lowers, but Paul Paskey turned me on to the Colt pins from SAW.
That will be the interim fix until i can replace the lowers.

Pat, thanks for the heads up on this. I currently have 2 x big-hole Colt rifles which I am trying to convert into flat-top uppers (they are originally carry handle HBAR A2s) and obviously don't want the pins to break. I don't want to part with Colt lowers.

Submariner
03-27-07, 09:44
Pat, thanks for the heads up on this. I currently have 2 x big-hole Colt rifles which I am trying to convert into flat-top uppers (they are originally carry handle HBAR A2s) and obviously don't want the pins to break. I don't want to part with Colt lowers.

Boss - Here's the part number from www.specializedarmament.com: SPK63272

You might want to check with Grant to see if he has any.

Colt conversion uppers circa 1996 came with these great offset pins, but like many Colt parts, are/were tough to find. I bought the DPMS/Brownells version as spares. Tried them just in case I had to use them. They broke at the beginning of the thread. They are so bad that I am reluctant to sell them to anyone or even give them away. Bottom line: spend the money at SAW or time looking around for less expensive Colt offset pins. Time is money.

Boss Hogg
03-27-07, 12:16
This is a great *&(*& site. Thanks for the info above.

I don't want to turn this into a big hole/little hole thread, but another option is Daniel Defense's Big Hole Upper.
http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=19

Pat_Rogers
03-27-07, 12:36
Thanks for that info- good to keep for squaring away those otherwise useless lowers.