PDA

View Full Version : Glock Night Sights? suggestions needed.

Kentucky Cop
01-21-10, 15:52
I am currently getting ready to purchase the new Generation 4 Glock 22. As is, it does not come with night sights. As a street cop that works nights, I am looking at putting night sights on it ASAP. My current duty generation 3 Glock has green Trijicon sights that have a H3 01 in white lettering on the side. As I have had zero issues with these sights, is there anything better out there that would be worth taking a look at for my new gun? I understand that Glock makes night sights also. Some of my partners are running what appeared to be Truglow fiber optics. (they look as if they have long fiber optic "tubes" compared to the Trijicons).

As my search fu on this site didn't produce anything I am open for suggestions. In short, what are the best night sights currently available. I have zero expeirence when it comes to this. Please help! Thanks in advance for the suggestions. ;)

Ky Cop

CoryCop25
01-21-10, 16:42
Check out Warren Tactical sights. I find my Glock night sights too wide and they are a bit slower with target acquisition.

Magsz
01-21-10, 18:01
I have about 500 rounds down range on a set of warrens on a G17 and i find the rear sight to work just as well as on my M&P's.

Its very and i mean very easy to acquire the front sight with the warren rear.

I also dig the two dot Trijicon setup as the less intense rear allows me to focus on my front sight very easily.

Get a set and dont look back.

JonInWA
01-21-10, 21:06
I'd recommend Warren or Trijicon.

However, the new Glock nightsights reportedly have a thinner blade than previously, and are tenifer-treated and fully warranted for 15 years-and a bit of a bargain if provided/installed by Glock. These factors could make the Glock/Meprolite nightsights a contender as well.

Best, Jon

SWATcop556
01-22-10, 01:35
I use either the 10-8 w/tritium front or the Warren Tactical plain rear w/tritium front.

I prefer the plain rear sight. Fiber optic sights should not be used on hard use/duty guns. They are way too easy to break.

I also prefer a rear sight that is contoured to aid in one-hand manipulations like the 10-8's and Warren's are.

mdain
01-22-10, 02:40
I believe that the H3 script on your old night sights simply indicates tritium (the radioactive element that mekes the sights glow). The 01 part is the year of manufacture.

If you like the brand you have, stick with it. I switched all of my carry guns to Heinie straight 8's. The stacked tritium dots took a little getting used to, but they are awesome. Heinie also offers a traditional three dot setup.

tusk212
01-22-10, 08:31
Ive been using Ameriglo Operators. I have them in Green/Yellow. They also have a wider rear notch and are pretty quick.

Garandad
01-22-10, 11:17
Another vote for Warren sights.

Mark71
01-22-10, 11:22
I would go with the Warren Tactical sights. I purchased mine from Mike at
http://www.mle-shootingsports.com/

He is a great guy to deal with.

DTHN2LGS
01-22-10, 12:43
I have Warren Tactical Night Sights on my G19 too. I like them better than the Glock ones I had on the G23 I used to have.

Pappabear
01-22-10, 16:53
I need to check out the Warrens b/c many here like them. But I think the TFO you spoke of with the Tube are awesome. Very bright and great at Dusk when its not totally dark. Again, they are Tritium and Fiber Optic, best of both worlds. They do not make them for many guns, or I would use them more often.

Shoot your friends, my guess is you will enjoy.

BT2012
01-22-10, 17:15
I've used Trijicon and Glock night sights and Trijicon is by far the better of the two. Also, the Glock night sight vials were not perfectly aligned.

Gutshot John
01-22-10, 17:20
Warren's are ok but the two-dot setup is lacking at night with too much vertical stringing. I much prefer the plain rear. Either way accuracy is limited compared to 3 dot designs.

Real fiber optic material shouldn't break that easily, I've used them for years on bows and handguns and beaten the hell out of the stuff, dropped from tree stands etc.

I don't know what warren uses for their FO material. That said the sight is still functional even if it does and it's an easy fix (5 mins tops with a lighter and cutting implement) if you have replacement FO.

Kentucky Cop
01-23-10, 22:24
I am still up on the air with the decision. I have looked at all the suggestions you have given me and appreciate it greatly. I think I am leaning towards front and rear night sights. I do not think I could be effective with a plain rear. I have plenty of time to continue my research. Thanks again for your wisdom as I continue to look.....

ADD ON- I am looking closely at the Trijicon Tritium's Novak sights ($132) or the Truglo Tritium TFO's which some of my co-workers recommend. I have no knowledge of either of these. Thoughts?

Ky Cop

-Ace-
01-23-10, 22:37
Everyone will suggest what they like best, but in the end it comes down to personal preference. If there is a dealer close to you that carries a few different brands, then maybe you could check them out first hand to get a better idea.

I personally do not like a plain rear with a tritium front, I prefer a 3 dot set up. However I have put a couple sets of XS big dots on a couple of glocks and I like them so far, very fast front sight for high stress situations.

Warren, Trijicon, TruGlo, XS, Novak etc are all good sights, I have had problems with meprolights, but others love them.

-Ace-
01-23-10, 22:40
oh yeah, these look interesting as well.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=45618

Gutshot John
01-24-10, 10:34
Everyone will suggest what they like best, but in the end it comes down to personal preference. If there is a dealer close to you that carries a few different brands, then maybe you could check them out first hand to get a better idea.

Well yes people will suggest what they like but usually they have reasons for that.
Sights are meant to aim bullets...how do you get a better idea without actually putting rounds down range? There is no way you can tell what will and will not work for you by just looking at a sight in the store.

I've tried 3-dots, dot-post, XS, 2-dots and plain blade sights and ultimately the one I chose was at the end of that process. The best sight design I've ever seen isn't available on the market but hopefully it will be one day.

I personally do not like a plain rear with a tritium front, I prefer a 3 dot set up. However I have put a couple sets of XS big dots on a couple of glocks and I like them so far, very fast front sight for high stress situations.

Many many people dislike 3 dot designs, even though they are the most accurate of the extant night sights they are far from ideal. XS sights have even fewer proponents except among novice shooters at very close ranges. Accuracy is the main complaint. Since the top of the front post doesn't line up with the ears on the rear post you have no vertical frame of reference only a horizontal one.

They're meant to be fast but do so at the expense of accuracy and result in vertical stringing the farther you move out. This problem is much worse with the XS models even than on the two dot designs.

Warren, Trijicon, TruGlo, XS, Novak etc are all good sights, I have had problems with meprolights, but others love them.

TruGlo makes some great bow sights, but on handguns I've seen them go down. They're great for competition but that's really about it. If you like FO there are better options out there.

Warren, Novak and Trij (the latter is actually the manufacturer of many other brands) are the only brands I'd consider on a fighting gun.

Robb Jensen
01-24-10, 11:19
My choice would be Warren followed by Trijicon.

Just be careful installing sights on any Glock slide. I recently cracked the rear of a customers Glock 19 slide installing sights on it. Glock said I overtightened the sight tool on the slide and they've charged me $180 for a brand new slide which I still haven't received and that was over a month and a half ago. When I asked for a torque spec on the sight tool they didn't have an answer. Go figure.

I've installed 100s if not 1000s of sets of sights on Glock slides, first time ever cracking a slide. Currently I've quit using all sights tools on all Glock slides for installation and only using the sights tools for very slight adjustments. I'm installing sights with a brass drift and hammer with the slide in a padded vise (slide mounted sideways in the vise) since Glock has no answer about torque spec on sight tools and can only tell me that I 'overtighten the tool'.

GLOCKMASTER
01-24-10, 11:35
I have the Warren Tactical Night Sights on both of my G19's. They have a green front and the rear sight has two low intensity yellow tritum inserts. The Warrens also provide a good surface area to use for one hand weapon manipulations.

Kentucky Cop
01-24-10, 14:36
The last few posts have been a huge help. RobS started a thread about the TFO's and thats going to be a huge no go from what I read. I will probably narrow it down to the Trijicon 3 dot night sights they referred to "Novak" style or the Warren 3 dot night sights. $132 pesos is alot for the Trijicon Novaks. Goodness....

The Warren website is not very in depth for what it worth. I feel as if it could use a face lift to showcase more of the products.

Ky Cop

-Ace-
01-24-10, 14:51
Well yes people will suggest what they like but usually they have reasons for that.
Sights are meant to aim bullets...how do you get a better idea without actually putting rounds down range? There is no way you can tell what will and will not work for you by just looking at a sight in the store.

I've tried 3-dots, dot-post, XS, 2-dots and plain blade sights and ultimately the one I chose was at the end of that process. The best sight design I've ever seen isn't available on the market but hopefully it will be one day.

Maybe I should have made my post more clear, some stores ive been in have "demo" guns with various brand sights installed, some even rent them to shoot on their range. No one can decide what will work best for them by looking at a sight in a package, nor by someone else telling them what they prefer.

Many many people dislike 3 dot designs, even though they are the most accurate of the extant night sights they are far from ideal. XS sights have even fewer proponents except among novice shooters at very close ranges. Accuracy is the main complaint. Since the top of the front post doesn't line up with the ears on the rear post you have no vertical frame of reference only a horizontal one.

They're meant to be fast but do so at the expense of accuracy and result in vertical stringing the farther you move out. This problem is much worse with the XS models even than on the two dot designs.

TruGlo makes some great bow sights, but on handguns I've seen them go down. They're great for competition but that's really about it. If you like FO there are better options out there.

Warren, Novak and Trij (the latter is actually the manufacturer of many other brands) are the only brands I'd consider on a fighting gun.

I agree that the XS sights give up some accuracy, and while I am not a fan of 2 dot sights, these havent done too bad so far and I am in no means a "novice" shooter. Like i said previously, everyone has their own personal preference. For me, plain blade sights dont do it.

cougar_guy04
01-24-10, 15:01
All of my Glocks wear Warren Tactical sights, either the all plain version for my gaming gun and 2-dot Tritiums for the social gun. I tried them on a lark about 2 years ago and they're all I'll run on my Glocks now.

The last few posts have been a huge help. RobS started a thread about the TFO's and thats going to be a huge no go from what I read. I will probably narrow it down to the Trijicon 3 dot night sights they referred to "Novak" style or the Warren 3 dot night sights. $132 pesos is alot for the Trijicon Novaks. Goodness....

The Warren website is not very in depth for what it worth. I feel as if it could use a face lift to showcase more of the products.

Ky Cop
Check with Brownells if you're interested in the 3-dot Warrens. Brownells stocks the 3-dot Warren Tactical and, IIRC, they offer a discount for LEOs.

Kentucky Cop
01-24-10, 21:58
2 questions guys....

Does anyone like the Trijicon 3 dot night sight Novaks or would they go with the "regular" Trijicons? They look like they would be good for one hand manipulation and does anyone have pictures of the 3 dot night sight Warrens everyone loves. The pictures I have found are not that good. Far and few between pics for the Warrens.....

Thanks again for everyone's help.

mdain
01-24-10, 23:50
I have the "regular" trijicon 3 dots on my work gun (Gen 3 Glock 22). They were on the gun when it was issued to me. When I buy guns now, I don't get them with night sights because I know I'll be changing them out anyway. As I posted before, all of my personal Glocks wear Heinie straight 8's (Except for my G34 competition which has Warrens). However, the next set of sights will be the Heinie 3 dot ledge. A traditional 3 dot sight picture, with the added bonus of a vertical front surface for one hand manips.