PDA

View Full Version : Which one would you buy?

Marcus L.
01-21-10, 17:21
Okay, so I'm in the market for a good quality M4. I want a top rail, but I'd like to keep the regular handguard and fixed A2 front sight. I use Colt M4s for duty use and train with them often. So, I'm kinda leaning towards the Colt M4 LE Carbine in order to keep the same muscle memory and manual of arms. Another element to the decision would be that I'm going to be going to Colt armorer school this summer and I'll be able to have the knowledge and resources to keep the rifle running well.

However, part of me wonders if I shouldn't go with a Noveske, or even get a piston driven LWRC M6A2 and pony up the extra cash.

I probably go through about 1-2k rounds a year in training, but I will probably do another 2-3k on my own. So, do you more experienced AR guys think I should stick with Colt.......or go with Noveske, or a piston driven LWRC? Thanks.

justin_247
01-21-10, 17:35
A Colt 6920 is a great option. And there are very, very few people in this world who have anything negative to say about Noveske.

Have you considered BCM?

Also, have you looked at any of Daniel Defense's offerings? I bought a DDXV a few months ago and absolutely love it. They go for around $950 right now, which is a GREAT deal.

JonnyVain
01-21-10, 17:39
Read this before purchasing a piston system:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=130&t=165511

For LE, I see no point in a piston. You aren't going to be in sand and mud. Your rifle will sit in your cruiser or in a safe. DI is fine, and has less recoil.

On Noveske vs Colt, I'd say they're both good rifles. The Noveske is probably more accurate, but for a service rifle, I'm not sure if that accuracy difference would matter to you. And besides that, they're both great rifles.

Have you thought about a BCM? They seem to be the best bang for the buck right now. I ordered one of their BCG's, but haven't received/fired it yet.

TOrrock
01-21-10, 17:42
It's really hard to argue with a good Colt 6920.

You also wouldn't go wrong with a Daniel Defense XV or Noveske N4.

Honestly, any of the above three are so good to go it would probably be which one I could get the best price on.

Although, the cold hammer forged barrels of the DD and Noveske are awfully nice.

wes007
01-21-10, 17:48
I think just about everyone on here is going to potentially try and sway you towards BCM in one shape or from.
Quality isnt going to differ at all from Noveske or from Colt but its the phenomenal price, and customer service that gets people.

JLSKIP
01-21-10, 17:51
I'm going to be going to Colt armorer school this summer and I'll be able to have the knowledge and resources to keep the rifle running well.

? I could have my wife watch a couple 10 minute Youtube videos, give her a simple tool kit, a cleaning kit and feel confident that she has the knowledge and resources to keep an AR running well. :)

I guess I'm confused as to what you mean by the quoted statement above and how it has much impact on your decision.

As far as the Colt or Noveske DI carbines, I don't think you can go wrong with either one, they both function exactly the same way.

01-21-10, 17:52
Disagree. Many here will say a 6920 with all your caveats. Great gun.

warpigM-4
01-21-10, 18:15
COLT !!!!:D I love my Little pony ;)

SWATcop556
01-21-10, 18:17
What price range are you looking to stay in?

I like Noveske (have one) and Colt (have one) but the mist bang for your buck would be the BCM or the DD. Both have an M4 pattern gun and both are top notch.

My nod goes to either of those before the Colt or Noveske but that's just me.

Marcus L.
01-21-10, 18:53
Thanks guys. I was wanting to stay under $1500 and I think I'm going to go with the Colt M4 6920.......1:7 twist of course. ;)

Marcus L.
01-21-10, 18:54
COLT !!!!:D I love my Little pony ;)

Yeah.......no bias opinion on your part......:D

SWATcop556
01-21-10, 20:51
Thanks guys. I was wanting to stay under $1500 and I think I'm going to go with the Colt M4 6920.......1:7 twist of course. ;)

Good choice. I've had nothing but good experiences with mine.

I might also suggest this as well:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16M4_RIFLE&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D9%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html%26category%3DBCOM

or

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=XV-M4

Regardless you'll love it. Just shoot the shit out of it. :cool:

01-21-10, 21:19
Swat- With his experience, and going to a Colt's Armorer class/school wouldn't you think going with a Colt, may, in some small way, be more to his advantage to go with a Colt? I mean, he can't go wrong with a Colt, so why not get what he is accustomed to, and, is going to get training on repairing?

BTW, still need a Shiner to try. I'm just saying.:D

rychencop
01-21-10, 21:19
out of those choices, Colt is the clear winner for the $$. you can't go wrong with any of them though. you may want to look at a BCM mid length also.

Marcus L.
01-21-10, 21:23
Swat- With his experience, and going to a Colt's Armorer class/school wouldn't you think going with a Colt, may, in some small way, be more to his advantage to go with a Colt? I mean, he can't go wrong with a Colt, so why not get what he is accustomed to, and, is going to get training on repairing?

Looks like the BCM are built to the TDP, same as Colt. So, I might consider building a AR later on with BCM parts.

For now.....the 6920 comes first :D

Ak44
01-21-10, 21:23
Get the colt and then when you feel froggy get a LWRC Upper later on :cool:

01-21-10, 21:27
Marcus- BCM can't build to the TDP. It is proprietary to Colt.;)

Failure2Stop
01-21-10, 22:15

Eh, not really.
The TDP isn't that hard to get ahold of if you know where to look and who to talk to.
As it is, Colt lost it's status of exclusive supplier of the M4 to the US mil last year. While no one else is producing them right now, it's only a matter of time.

Really though, the TDP technically belongs to the government.

Right now, only Colt is required to build M4s to pass the inspection determined by the TDP. How closely anyone else produces them is based off theintegrity of the company.

warpigM-4
01-21-10, 22:40
Yeah.......no bias opinion on your part......:D

what not me (COLT) I would never (COLT) put subliminal messages (COLT) for you to see:D
For the money I think you make a good choice with Colt
and then Build a BCM later for the second, ARs are like Boobs they are better in Pairs :D

ThirdWatcher
01-22-10, 00:55
Another vote for the Colt LE6920. :)

SWATcop556
01-22-10, 01:07

Enjoying a Shiner as I post tonight in fact. :cool:

As far as I'm concerned a Colt armorers school is nice but not necessary. ARs are not 1911's where a lot of handfitting and filing is needed. For the choices he picked he's fine with even just doing some Internet research and trying on his own, though armorers courses never hurt.

I'm a visual learner so I benefit from someone showing me then I repeat.

But when you build to just as high of a standard as the TDP and offer better CS and have more options available, you don't need no ****ing TDP!! :cool:

Not bashing Colt but I also believe the are no longer the "be all, end all" of ARs anymore (and not by a long shot IMHO) but I still own one (my first AR).

Surf
01-22-10, 01:13
Okay, so I'm in the market for a good quality M4. I want a top rail, but I'd like to keep the regular handguard and fixed A2 front sight. I use Colt M4s for duty use and train with them often. So, I'm kinda leaning towards the Colt M4 LE Carbine in order to keep the same muscle memory and manual of arms. Another element to the decision would be that I'm going to be going to Colt armorer school this summer and I'll be able to have the knowledge and resources to keep the rifle running well.

However, part of me wonders if I shouldn't go with a Noveske, or even get a piston driven LWRC M6A2 and pony up the extra cash.

I probably go through about 1-2k rounds a year in training, but I will probably do another 2-3k on my own. So, do you more experienced AR guys think I should stick with Colt.......or go with Noveske, or a piston driven LWRC? Thanks.Your muscle memory / manual of arms will pretty much remain constant within the platform, Colt or not. Your Colt armorers experience will translate very well to other makers in the DI realm. Not saying that Colt's course is overly innovative or anything like that because it isn't. It is a good course however.

I will say that I am a huge fan of Colt rifles. You might also want to consider buying your Colt 6920 after you take the armorers course. They do give a discount and it is nearly $100 less then the most common LE prices.

ThirdWatcher
01-22-10, 04:56
You might also want to consider buying your Colt 6920 after you take the armorers course. They do give a discount and it is nearly $100 less then the most common LE prices.

DEFINITELY Colt LE6920. :D

Iceberg
01-22-10, 08:34
I had a 6920 & a 6940; I now only have the 6940. Colt makes a great product!

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/ekbergie/Hunting017.jpg

Marcus L.
01-22-10, 14:15
Here she is :)

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr169/sgalbra76/IMG_0028.jpg

I might add an Aimpoint and a new stock later.....then again, part of me wants to keep it as is.

Roklok
01-22-10, 16:06

Colt, Noveske, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT. Doesn't matter. They all have the same parts and function the same.

bullseye
01-22-10, 18:02
someone posteed above [johnnyvain] that a DI has less recoil than a piston. is this correct???? this is the first time i beleive i've read this. not saying it ain't so,, just asking????? why in the world would this be????

BAC
01-23-10, 13:45
Less reciprocating mass.

-B

Evil Colt 6920
01-23-10, 13:56
Its nice too see a brand new Colt:D Take more pics cause she prolly wont look like that for long. I really love that out of the box classic look. Makes me want to buy another 6920.:cool:

warpigM-4
01-23-10, 14:14
Outstanding!!!