PDA

View Full Version : Speedloaders

montanadave
01-21-10, 18:01
I just picked up a Ruger SP101 and was wondering if anyone has any strong opinions about either HKS or Safariland speedloaders.

BobM
01-21-10, 18:11
I strongly prefer HKS. I had a Safariland lock up on me in the academy and it wouldn't release the rounds. As I recall (20 years ago) the instructors had seen them do that before.

Alpha Sierra
01-21-10, 18:37
Safariland by a mile. They are a gazillion times faster and easier to use than HKS.

Speedloaders, like magazines, are consumables. You can expect them to malfunction at some point in their life. So you test them often (as you should to maintain proficiency) and toss whichever act up.

I've reloaded thousands of rounds through my five Safariland Comp IIs for my K frame revolvers and they have never hiccuped.

cathellsk
01-22-10, 00:09
Michael de Bethencourt's take on whats available.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS9nlMFj4UY&feature=player_embedded

I have three of these (S.L. Variant) coming in the mail, hopefully tomorrow, to try out. http://bobmacs.com/Products.htm

Michael's website http://www.snubtraining.com/

I have some Comp 1s and HKSs for my J frames, like both equally but the Safarilands do seem a little quicker. The S.L. Variants are expensive but are supposed to have a pretty good reputation.

tpd223
01-22-10, 00:18
I like the SL Variants alot, but these are just as good, just as fast, in my experience and easier to get; http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=303/Product/REVOLVER_JETLOADER

The Jetloader pouch Brownell's sells is also nice since it's from Eagle.

JonInWA
01-22-10, 07:59
I've found that while the Safariland's are slightly faster, the HKS's are more durable (and reliable). Consequently, I personally use HKS for carry. YMMV.

Best, Jon

sjohnny
01-22-10, 10:11
I have HKS for my j-frame and I have Safariland and HKS for my k-frames. I much prefer the Safariland. I took a class with the Safarilands and put a few hundred rounds down range using them to reload and never had so much as a hiccup from them. I've never had reliability problems with the HKS either but the Safarilands were much quicker.

Alpha Sierra
01-22-10, 15:01
I took a class with the Safarilands and put a few hundred rounds down range using them to reload and never had so much as a hiccup from them. I've never had reliability problems with the HKS either but the Safarilands were much quicker.

That's been my exact same experience with Safariland Comp IIs for S&W K frames.

DocH
01-22-10, 15:19
I prefer the Comp II's,but I have a drawer full of the Austrian jet loaders for the K frames that I bought years ago.They have the exposed spring.never had a moments trouble with them and they are fast.

Combat_Diver
01-23-10, 00:50
I go with the HKS, might be a tad slower but it has the muscle memory thing going for it as HKS produces more varients and chamberings then does Safariland. I use HKS speed loaders in .22 Mag 6 shot, .38/.357 (5/6 shot), .41 Mag 6 shot, .44 SPL 5 shot and .44 Mag 6 shot. Each onto his own needs.

CD

montanadave
01-23-10, 09:11
I appreciate all the input. An additional question occurred to me while reading some of the responses and looking at related links. My SP101 has the Crimson Trace LG303 grips. With these types of rubber overmolded grips, has anyone had difficulties getting the longer speedloaders (thinking JetLoader or SL variant) to align properly with the cylinder? In just eyeballing the revolver, it looks like it might be a pretty tight fit and the grip could interfere with the proper operation of some speedloaders.

cathellsk
01-23-10, 10:27
I have two J frames with laser grips, LG 105s and 405s, and they work fine with speedloaders. The factory Uncle Mikes Spegel boot grips have the Safarilands stick a little, but there are no problems with the HKSs and S.L. Variants.

glocktogo
01-23-10, 13:38
For sporting use in the field, HKS are fine. But for defense or competition, nothing beats a "direct injection" type speedloader like Safariland, Jetloader or S.L. Variant.

sjohnny
01-25-10, 07:41
I have two J frames with laser grips, LG 105s and 405s, and they work fine with speedloaders. The factory Uncle Mikes Spegel boot grips have the Safarilands stick a little, but there are no problems with the HKSs and S.L. Variants.

I had problems with the HKS on my j-frame with the factory rubber grips. I took them off and put wood grips on after the first time I shot it and that fixed the problem (that's not why I switched - I just don't care for rubber grips and those were too big for my pocket).