PDA

View Full Version : Pinned Gasblock - Pin Type question

Col_Crocs
01-21-10, 19:09
Question on some tiny details... Searched but didnt find anything that addressed my query.
Folks who have sent their GBs out to ADCO or any other reputable pinning service provider, are your pins stainless or bare metal? Does anyone around the site have parked-pins on their GBs?
All the photos I seem to find of pinned, parked-steel gasblocks have shiny silver pins on them.
And secondly... How many of you have actually requested for taper pins and for what reason-- simply peace of mind or partially exposed GB probably?

comp1911
01-22-10, 13:39
I've used parked pins and stainless pins.

I prefer taper pins since I find them easier to install and to remove.

Col_Crocs
01-22-10, 21:19
Thanks for the response.
With regards to parked and stainless pins, do you prefer one over the other?

Tangotag
01-23-10, 05:08
I had originally planned on pinning my BCM 18" SPR barrel using a 18-8 stainless dowel pin. Straight pinned like how the Noveske barrels are done.
The gas block I am going to use is stainless so I figured why not make it all stainless.
I thought of drilling hole for the pin to be undersized for a press fit on the pin.

Once completed, the barrel assembly will be media blasted and coated in GunKote. So color will all be the same in the end.

But seeing how my other ARs have tapers and I have the taper reamer and drill for installing 2/0 pins I might just go with a Stainless Taper pin (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3DYU9?Pid=search).