PDA

View Full Version : Tango Down's new Stubby VG!

C4IGrant
03-27-07, 14:34
Just got some of these little guys in and thought I would get some pics up!

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TD/Stubby%20VG.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TD/Stubby%20VS%20Standard.jpg

Nathan_Bell
03-27-07, 14:53
These the ones that have the screw cap epoxied in place, or is the storage compartment still usable?

C4IGrant
03-27-07, 14:56
These the ones that have the screw cap epoxied in place, or is the storage compartment still usable?

The tail cap is not removeable.

C4

Lumpy196
03-27-07, 15:24
Were you going to wait to tell me? :p

C4IGrant
03-27-07, 15:41
Were you going to wait to tell me? :p

LOL, I just got them in and pics up! You were next in line to be notified. ;)

C4

Shihan
03-27-07, 15:49
Grant can show what they look like in the hand? Also are they the same price as the regular grip?

Thanks

C4IGrant
03-27-07, 16:01
Grant can show what they look like in the hand? Also are they the same price as the regular grip?

Thanks

Here is a pic for you. They are the same price.

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/TD/Stubby%20in%20hand.jpg

Jay Cunningham
03-27-07, 17:13
I've been planning on putting one of these on an AR when it came out.

This would be a good option for a 7.62x39mm AK with a rail fore end.

Shihan
03-27-07, 17:21
Grant how does it feel in the hand? Im a big fan of the full size one.

DrMark
03-27-07, 19:04
LOL, I just got them in and pics up! You were next in line to be notified. ;)

LOL... Grant's list:
1. The Internet
2. Lumpy

Grant, those look pretty good!

R.D.
03-27-07, 20:04
I've had mine for about a month and have been out shooting with it twice. I like it a lot. It is just long enough to get a good grip on it with my thumb forward on the left side of my hand guard. I don't miss the lack of storage space as i never use it on a VFG.

SuicideHz
03-27-07, 20:52
The cap is not removable? Why the tapeswitch parts then? I can see carrying over the endcaps and somewhere in the production process epoxying them in place, but I don't see where in the production process they needed to make a mold with a fake tape switch pocket. That is unless they are overruns that have been cut down but I'm 99% sure that's not the case, right?

I like them just didn't expect them to look exactly like the homebrew variety.

Resq47
03-27-07, 22:17
I'll hazard a guess that it's not a new mold and is made the same way the non-retail Irish grip was...with a saw.

Turbo Supra
03-28-07, 13:13
That TD grip looks pretty nice. I have been using a TDI/First Samco HKPDW-style stubby grip for a while now. It offers some storage space, too.

rayray
03-28-07, 15:00
Hey, those are cool.

rob_s
03-28-07, 18:06
The tapeswitch slot is there because it's just a cut-down fullsize.

SuicideHz
03-28-07, 18:07
I guess so. Thought they'd be making a new one without the hassle of having to cut and glue a few pieces...

graffex
03-28-07, 19:05
So you get less product thats less fuctional for the same price :rolleyes:

DrMark
03-28-07, 19:31

Wow. I never thought this could be spun into a negative.

Less product? Less functional? For some, the shorter size is the right size, that is, it fits the way they use it. For others, the longer size is best for them.

TD offered one length, and now they offer two. This is what is known as "improving the situation."

Resq47
03-29-07, 23:03

Vote with your dollar. The other way to skin the cat is that you're not out any functionality if you roll your own. Considering there is actually more labor involved in the short grips I'd expect them to cost more...

SuicideHz
03-29-07, 23:05
Yeah but that's there problem if there's more labor. There shouldn't be. There should be a new mold (yeah added cost but it will work out to be less than paying a chinese kid to run the bandsaw for the standard ones) that molds the SOB in one piece and that's it. No cutting, fitting, gluing etc.

SinnFéinM1911
03-30-07, 07:18
I have been running these for a couple months on a few of my "toys"... Very comfy, and if your not running a "in'line" pressure pad in your forgrip, its almost perfect !! Anohter GREAT tool for the War Fighter ! Thanks TD !

B

Lumpy196
03-30-07, 10:28

Actually, Im replacing my LESS durable KAC VFGs with one that for ME is more functional.

If I had bought new full size ones, I would have just cut them down myself, so Im not out anything.

rob_s
03-30-07, 10:48
Actually, Im replacing my LESS durable KAC VFGs with one that for ME is more functional.

If I had bought new full size ones, I would have just cut them down myself, so Im not out anything.

I have one sitting on my workbench waiting for me to chop it down. It's been there for a couple of months now because I didn't want to wait for TD to get around to selling them this way.

Ooops.:eek:

SuicideHz
03-30-07, 17:48
They aren't less functional. They are just as functional and less obtrusive on an AR. Noone seems to need an extra inch more than they can fit in their hand.

And, they definitely aren't less functional on a railed AK. Now you can actually use one on an AK AND change your 30 round mag.

CarlosDJackal
03-30-07, 20:09

If you think that it is less functional, then why the heck would you even consider buying it? :confused:

SuicideHz
03-30-07, 20:12
He probably wouldn't. Isn't that his point?

Army Chief
03-31-07, 05:40
Rookie question here boys, but you'll have to keep in mind that most of the M4s I see in the ranks are still sporting KAS vertical grips; as such, I'm not terribly familiar with the Tango-Down alternative.

The TD is more hand filling. It incorporates a pressure switch recess. You can store stuff in it. All well and good, but for a simply-configured rifle, if all I want is a more conservatively tapered hand-hold, how do any of those other things benefit me? Let's label that a rhetorical question for a moment, because I'm sure there are more than a few good answers.

Now, conceding the above, TD takes their standard VG, chops it down, and obviously anticipates there will be a market for it. I'm completely OK with that; I guess I just don't understand what you gain by going with a reduced-height grip. You can't quite get a full purchase on it, and yet, there is enough there to do something with. I'm just trying to figure out what that something is.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but what is it about the world of vertical foregrips that makes a chopped TD worth adding to one's kit?

Chief

rob_s
03-31-07, 06:36
Personally, I like my rifles to be light and compact. Hence, less material used for any given part is a good thing.

The size of the stubby TD is only a problem if you "choke the chicken". If you keep your thumb on the same side of the rifle as the arm it's attached to then the stubby is the perfect height as you have alot of unused grip sticking out of the bottom of your hand.

Army Chief
03-31-07, 07:02
I don't care to admit to choking the chicken in a public forum, but clearly, that is where my, uh, conceptual problem lies.

Truthfully, your explanation makes perfect sense. Just need to employ a slightly different holding grip, which makes this a relatively simple training issue. Thanks!

Chief

Pat_Rogers
03-31-07, 07:26
Army Chief,
Actually they didn't anticipate a market. The Irish VFG was user driven, by a particular organization that found it useful for their breaching guns.
They did the initial chopping/ gluing.
When thet showed it to Jeff Cahill he mod'd existing ones for that contract.
Eventually he will have a new mold, but for now it is cut and glue.

I don't choke the chicken, and have been teaching the high hand hold for a few days, so this fits the doctrine.
It is a compromise. You lose space (i keep a complete bolt in there) for a shorter grip. While less likely to catch on anything, that ammunition feed device hangs lower then the chubby.
It is an option- nothing more, nothing less.
Just my $2.00.

DrMark
03-31-07, 07:57
I don't care to admit to choking the chicken in a public forum, but clearly, that is where my, uh, conceptual problem lies.

Truthfully, your explanation makes perfect sense. Just need to employ a slightly different holding grip, which makes this a relatively simple training issue. Thanks!

Chief,

Third picture from the bottom of page 1 of the linked thread shows the stubby in use under experienced instruction. Actually, several pictures in that thread illustrate various holds on VFGs.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=36422&page=&fpart=1&vc=1 (thread here)

M

Pat_Rogers
03-31-07, 08:28
Gee- those images look familiar..
Oh yeah, i made those pictures. No wonder.....:rolleyes:

rob_s
03-31-07, 08:54

I like the non-chicken grip because I also like to hold the front of the magwell. Works out to the same grip, and keeps my lights mounted on the support side of the rail.

Army Chief
03-31-07, 10:06
Chief/Pat, Mark, Rob,

Sounds like somebody needs to take a carbine class if/when he ever gets back to CONUS. I've been packing M9s just long enough to have forgotten most of what I once knew about all-things AR. The last time I carried one in anything approaching anger, the rifle was an M-16A1, and I was wearing the Army's "brand new" woodland Battle Dress Uniform. Times have changed slightly since. :)

Much obliged for the background information, operational insights, and (even better) the follow-up leads. Will do my research from this point on, rather than ask too many more 101 level questions, and pick up on the tactical end of things over at 10-8.

Chief

Pat_Rogers
03-31-07, 10:11
Chief (i'll broadly assume CWO?)
Ask questions. If not on a board, e mail me. There is a lot to learn, and i do a whole bunch of that every day...

Army Chief
03-31-07, 10:32
Pat,

CWO4; albeit a helo driver and (currently) non-practicing paratrooper, as my infantry days are well behind me now. :)

Much appreciate the gracious response. It goes without saying that your reputation precedes you here, and elsewhere, so I'm more than a little appreciative of your willingness to engage.

For the moment, my knowledge of rail systems -- and no BS employment of same -- is still more academic than practical, so I'm playing a bit of catch-up. I'm not one to accept that reading can replace range time, but it's clearly not a bad place to start.

As I have occasion to voice an intelligible question or two, you can be sure that I'll be raising them along the way.

Thanks for what you've done.

Thanks for what you do.

Chief

DrMark
03-31-07, 10:38
Gee- those images look familiar..
Oh yeah, i made those pictures. No wonder.....:rolleyes:

Pat, I hope you don't mind me referring people to threads like that.

The first I heard of the stubby TD was in that 10-8 AAR of yours. Short of actual training, I figured a thread showing different techniques of good shooters under good instruction was a good place to start learning about use of the new product.

Mark

Heavy Metal
03-31-07, 10:50
Now Pat, thems some good pics and the first one in the 10-8 thread shows the guy in the foreground squeezing the Pullet while everone behind him is using the high hand hold.

Worth a thousand words.

Pat_Rogers
03-31-07, 12:51
Chief- thanks for the kind words- i truly appreciate them!

Matk- no problem at all. I was just trying to exercise my "caustic wit"...
I have no problems with that and the reason we used to post images with the AAR's on that site was to make it easier for people to see- and therfore understand- what is and isn't.

Heavy metal- and thank you too!!