PDA

View Full Version : Gun Case and Whatnot Padlocks: What is your solution?

ProPilot
01-22-10, 00:03
I'm in a big push to simplify everything into their own bags and hard cases. For example, if I'm planning to shoot some pistol, then I'll grab my pistol case(s) and pistol ammo case, etc. Same for rifle, carbine or shotgun.

Problem: I want to have the separate items such as ammo box, loaded mag bag and (unloaded) weapon case each in its own LOCKED container. As a practical manner, I really need six, eight, ten or more keyed-alike padlocks that will fit all possible hard case, soft case and ammo box combinations. (Heck, I'd like to lock up my separate cleaning kits too!)

At the moment I've got eight different padlocks and keys. The very real possibilities of losing/not having the certain key for the certain lock at the necessary time is keeping me up.

What has worked for you?

Volucris
01-22-10, 00:25
Locked because?

For range trips I keep it all hidden in the trunk under a blanket with the visible portion of the car pristine to outside eyes and that's good enough for me since I don't leave my vehicle out of sight. Only the gun I'm going to use and the ammo for it comes out and the rest stays hidden away.

I'm interested in hearing what the more experienced guys here can recommend for lockable hard cases for ARs and pistols.

tirod
01-22-10, 10:44
Locking everything in a separate container isn't really making things simple, is it?

Yes, you can get keyed alike padlocks. Any competent locksmith can get you Master, Schlage, etc keyed alike sets in whatever brand and keyway you want. Expect to pay about double per lock for the privilege. Shop around, some hardware stores will have then on the pegboards in 4, 6, or 8 lock packs, but it's not common.

The real issue is having a dozen different containers for all the stuff. Consider having one locked container for storage, and one general purpose pistol, rifle, and ammo case for transport. That's three locks. If you convert an old refrigerator or pop machine and lock it with a padlock, four.

Old refrigerators aren't a bad idea as they are gasketed, can be easily modded, already have shelving if you leave some in, and don't look conspicuous. You can throw in some dessicant packs, and if you leave the bulb working, have a light on when you open them. Reefers with side by side metal shelving can give you a rifle length side and plenty of storage.

The one disadvantage to keyed alike is that the one key will get an authorized person into everything. Sometimes separate keys are better, and NOT having the keys on the same ring helps. The military almost always uses a two key system - one key gets to the other keys, and nobody carries them all at the same time. Then all you can lose is the one, not the many - and with a spare at the site, still get in.

FWIW. I was a commercial locksmith for eight years and a property book owner for four. Only thing lost was a watch inventoried in an empty box. Go figure.

LockenLoad
01-22-10, 14:57
http://www.keyedalike.com/?gclid=CIDmvv7vuJ8CFQ-bnAodd2up0w

:)