PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's Tactical Arms with LAV featured the M&P

maximus83
01-22-10, 00:08
Saw portions of LAV's show Tactical Arms (http://www.tacticalarms.tv/) show tonight, and he featured the M&P. I was surprised to hear how highly he spoke of the M&P, I thought LAV was a 100% Glock guy, when it comes to plastic. In the two segments I saw, he demonstrated a 1-hand reload and spoke highly of the M&P's ambi slide release, and then near the end, they demonstrated the accuracy of the M&P.

This is especially interesting because, based on earlier comments by Larry in threads like this one (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11788), it sounded like he wasn't yet 100% confident in the M&P at that time (early 2008).

NCPatrolAR
01-22-10, 00:43
Saw portions of LAV's show Tactical Arms (http://www.tacticalarms.tv/) show tonight, and he featured the M&P. I was surprised to hear how highly he spoke of the M&P, I thought LAV was a 100% Glock guy, when it comes to plastic. In the two segments I saw, he demonstrated a 1-hand reload and spoke highly of the M&P's ambi slide release, and then near the end, they demonstrated the accuracy of the M&P.

This is especially interesting because, based on earlier comments by Larry in threads like this one (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11788), it sounded like he wasn't yet 100% confident in the M&P at that time (early 2008).

LAV has called the M&P a "product improved Glock" on numerous occassions. Also, Ken Hackathorn has also spoken very highly of the M&P for a while now.

maximus83
01-22-10, 01:04
Something else that struck me was the accuracy they were getting from their stock M&P's in the show. I generally get very good groups from my M&P, but not anywhere near what they were shooting.

joffe
01-22-10, 01:13
Something else that struck me was the accuracy they were getting from their stock M&P's in the show. I generally get very good groups from my M&P, but not anywhere near what they were shooting.

It's not the gun.. ;)

maximus83
01-22-10, 01:16
It's not the gun.. ;)

Heh. Pretty well figured that. :p

maximus83
01-22-10, 09:05
All I know is that, all "hero worship" aside, it means something to me to have somebody of LAV's reputation (as a gunsmith, and as an experienced shooter) publicly endorsing the M&P. I would have kept my M&P's either way, but to me this gives a nice boost to the platform.

RogerinTPA
01-22-10, 09:27
All I know is that, all "hero worship" aside, it means something to me to have somebody of LAV's reputation (as a gunsmith, and as an experienced shooter) publicly endorsing the M&P. I would have kept my M&P's either way, but to me this gives a nice boost to the platform.

Most serious gun folks (most here), as well as the Gurus, can and do appreciate a very durable, well thought out and accurate firearm, regardless of who makes it.

ToddG
01-22-10, 09:49
My M&P9 endurance test gun was shooting sub-2" groups at 25 yards after the slide rail cracked. I'm not sure what more you could ask from the gun. And that was with over sixty-two thousand rounds through the barrel.

edited to add: The 9mm guns definitely turn in their best accuracy with higher-pressure ammo.

MarshallDodge
01-22-10, 10:42
edited to add: The 9mm guns definitely turn in their best accuracy with higher-pressure ammo.
Interesting. My M&P40 seems to shoot better with 180 grain than 165 grain bullets. It could also have something to do with the load.

They are definitely accurate.

Biggy
01-22-10, 11:37
My M&P9 endurance test gun was shooting sub-2" groups at 25 yards after the slide rail cracked. I'm not sure what more you could ask from the gun. And that was with over sixty-two thousand rounds through the barrel.

This is just one of the reasons why I have had two of the S&W M&P "PT" pistols on order from G&R Tactical for quite some time now. If you believe that the S&W M&P and Glock 9mm pistols are pretty much equal in terms of reliability and durability, then the deciding factor for most people is how it feels in the hand. I think even though the latest generation Glock gripframe is an improvement, I think for "most" people the S&W M&P pistols grip angle still points more naturally and feels better in the hand ,(no finger grooves that don't line up). Also with new aftermarket fire control and other improved small parts comming out, the future is looking pretty bright for the S&W M&P pistols.

loupav
01-22-10, 22:42
....I think it's time I jumped on the bandwagon.

Now to decide 9mm or .45.

orionz06
01-23-10, 12:28
The episode did seem very infomercial-like, which I suppose speaks volumes to the M&P.

JHC
01-23-10, 16:34
My resistance to buying one of these is weakening fast. I handled a 9mm Pro today and was totally freaked out how impressive the trigger and reset felt.

SecretNY
01-23-10, 22:15

Get both!

DragonDoc
01-31-10, 22:22

I jumped on the bandwagon. I helped along by the .Mil discount that S&W was offering last year. Now I'm just waiting for them to fill my order. I went with the M&P45 (109307) w/ 4" barrel and no safety (so I can add CT in the future). Unfortunately, I lack patience so the wait is killing me.

John_Wayne777
01-31-10, 22:28
Look on the bright side...at least you haven't been waiting on the PT M&P for over a year. :D

DocGKR
02-01-10, 01:24
As I have stated numerous times, the M&P40 may be the best LE pistol currently available and what I will be carrying if I ever go back to serving in a Patrol assignment; likewise, for those not already heavily invested in 1911's and experienced with their upkeep, the M&P45 is a far better choice for individuals currently needing a .45 ACP pistol. On the other hand, as nice as the 9 mm M&P's are, I am sticking with 9mm Glocks for now, due to the near universal parts availability world wide.

chadbag
02-01-10, 01:32
I bought a standard no safety 9mm M&P full size a little over a year ago. It was my first striker fired pistol. I have retired (almost) all my other pistols that would be carried and, now that I finally got night sights installed on it, will start to carry the M&P.

I shoot a lot better with it than the other guns. (which may be my problem and lack of training and practice on them -- being self employed does not leave a lot of time for my own stuff).

I ran it in an EAG carbine class (Pat told me he liked the M&P after asking me what I thought), a LAV pistol (abbreviated due to filming conflicts) and a LAV carbine class, and a 3 day Magpul Dynamics Dynamic Handgun 1/2 class. It has passed with flying colors and someday I would like to get several more M&Ps.

C4IGrant
02-01-10, 09:22
Some of the most negative comments about a handgun I have heard come out of LAV’s mouth were directed towards the G-Lock. LAV also recognizes that the G-Lock is one of the most common guns in the world and to not be familiar with one would be stupid.

One of the things that makes Vickers one of the best firearms instructors out there is that he tries to bring guns that he believes will be used in his classes. This allows him to better relate to the students. This is why you will see a G-Lock in his hand at a lot of classes.

Both LAV and Ken are fans of the M&P and look at it as an upgrade to the G-Lock.

C4

MichaelD
02-01-10, 09:59
When I was researching my first firearms purchase 18 months ago, it was between the Glock 19 and M&P9 fullsize. When I held them both it was the feel of the M&P that sold me. I don't regret my decision one bit.

Slater
02-02-10, 06:55
All other factors being equal, the M&P9 would be considered a superior choice to the Glock 17 as far as overall accuracy and durability?

M4arc
02-02-10, 07:30
All other factors being equal, the M&P9 would be considered a superior choice to the Glock 17 as far as overall accuracy and durability?

Accuracy yes. Durability...that remains to be seen but it certainly look promising. Keep in mind that its still relatively new and S&W has been taking what they've learned and making improvements. We've seen an improved mag release (to solve the mag drop issues), we've seen an improved slide release, they've made changes to the slide (based on Todd's test) and we've seen various revisions to the striker assembly. They've made changes to the mags and followers as well.

To be fair, Glocks went through the same process over the years. Does anyone remember the black internal parts? ;)

S&W is being very responsive in fixing the issues and making adjustments when needed.

MichaelD
02-02-10, 16:47
In other words, S&W is doing what every manufacturer should: continual improvement.

Hersh
02-02-10, 16:50
My M&P9 endurance test gun was shooting sub-2" groups at 25 yards after the slide rail cracked. I'm not sure what more you could ask from the gun.

My rail cracked in the same place as yours Todd and I never noticed any adverse effect on accuracy either. Actually I didn't even know it was cracked until I took it down for a cleaning.

sigmundsauer
02-02-10, 20:32
Still waiting on S&W to introduce a G19-sized M&P. When that day comes, I'll take notice. Otherwise, the G19 Gen4 is likely to be my next striker-fired pistol purchase.

Tim

30 cal slut
02-03-10, 14:47
One of the things that makes Vickers one of the best firearms instructors out there is that he tries to bring guns that he believes will be used in his classes. This allows him to better relate to the students. This is why you will see a G-Lock in his hand at a lot of classes.

Both LAV and Ken are fans of the M&P and look at it as an upgrade to the G-Lock.
C4

I never heard Larry speak of the M&P in class, but I have heard Ken Hackathorn expressing support for the product (not to mention he was using one for demonstration).

I'm chuckling as I read this thread, because I made the switch to the M&P/9 after handling one ... at my very first LAV pistol and carbine class a few years ago. Bunch of guys back from the sandbox who attended persuaded me to try it out.

Now I'm hooked.

tusk212
02-03-10, 15:17
I have to confess, I'm trying real hard to resist the urge to pick up a M&P and things like this is making it harder.

JHC
02-03-10, 16:57
After many years and significant investment in a battery of Glock 9s I picked up a Pro 9 Saturday. Damn. I was afraid of that. LOL It's sweet. Really sweet.

gogetal3
02-03-10, 17:58
Interesting. My M&P40 seems to shoot better with 180 grain than 165 grain bullets. It could also have something to do with the load.

They are definitely accurate.

+1 on that. I reload with 800x powder currently at 5.7gn, .40cal 180gn JHP. Recoil is minimal and accuracy is only as good as I shoot, but my follow ups are spot on.

dutch308
02-03-10, 23:35
Just my .02 worth. I just picked up a new M&P 40 from GT today and have been handling it all day. Its been raining kittens here all day so no-go to the range(hopefully tomorow) I am "wrong handed" so adaptability is a big issue for me. I have had a great time practicing with it using snap caps and have to say that I love the feel of this gun. I enterchanged all of the back straps and will do so on the range as well, as far as feel I find the medium to be the most comfortable but we'll see after range. I also like the ambi slide release very easy to minipulate with trigger finger to lock it back. I dont use it to release. Only problem I am having is finding the duty holster I want in stock!

harrydog
02-04-10, 17:13

C4

For what it's worth, Hilton Yam is also a fan of the M&P.

GermanSynergy
02-06-10, 09:53
After many years and significant investment in a battery of Glock 9s I picked up a Pro 9 Saturday. Damn. I was afraid of that. LOL It's sweet. Really sweet.

I'm in the exact same boat and am getting closer & closer to plunking down the cash for a M&P 9 PRO.

orionz06
02-08-10, 06:23
I'm in the exact same boat and am getting closer & closer to plunking down the cash for a M&P 9 PRO.

I just picked one up Friday. Having a Glock since the day I turned 21, I loved it. It ate everything and didnt stop. I did some trigger work and it was better, but after toying with one at a gun show, a shop, and some others, I drank the kool-aid.

It feels better to me than a Glock or my USP, it points very well, and the pro trigger is nice (nut needs to have the Apex sear). For the deal I got, no regrets.

GermanSynergy
02-08-10, 11:16
Sweet! I'm going to my favorite gun shop and will plunk the cash down for one probably Wednesday.

I just picked one up Friday. Having a Glock since the day I turned 21, I loved it. It ate everything and didnt stop. I did some trigger work and it was better, but after toying with one at a gun show, a shop, and some others, I drank the kool-aid.

It feels better to me than a Glock or my USP, it points very well, and the pro trigger is nice (nut needs to have the Apex sear). For the deal I got, no regrets.

az larry
02-08-10, 15:39
I really like the M&Ps and had a couple. I just couldn't get past the triggers. Even with a Burwell job I hate that there is no reset.

Smith should buy Randy Lee out and use his sear and come out with a gun that resets, then I'd buy them and be happy.

An M&P with a Glock trigger (or a facsimile) would be the perfect for me. Until then I just have to wait on the sidelines......

HK45
02-25-10, 11:52
LAV has called the M&P a "product improved Glock" on numerous occassions. Also, Ken Hackathorn has also spoken very highly of the M&P for a while now.

You can add Pat Rogers to that list. He has been known to carry an M&P .45.

HK45
02-25-10, 11:54
For what it's worth, Hilton Yam is also a fan of the M&P.

I'd say it's worth a lot.

NCPatrolAR
02-25-10, 12:29
Still waiting on S&W to introduce a G19-sized M&P. When that day comes, I'll take notice. Otherwise, the G19 Gen4 is likely to be my next striker-fired pistol purchase.

Tim

I've been carrying both the 19 and the full size M&P for a day or two and think the size difference between the two are minimal and not really noticeable when carrying and using the guns.

chapperjoe
02-25-10, 12:45
I recently picked up a M&P45 and am VERY impressed.

I'd love a subcompact.

Also retrofittable thumb safeties.

Mine came without one cause I got a good deal.

User Name
02-25-10, 13:14
I am getting a Glock inferiority complex with all the M&P endorsements. If I did not have 6 glocks and 50 some odd magazines (don't understand how I got so many. Seems over kill) I'd pick up an M&P. Still might. Though Glocks have worked well for me and is what I am used to. (saying this to make myself feel better) The M&P looks to have a bright future.

02-25-10, 13:31
My current duty gun is the M&P 40. I don't regret switching over to it one bit. I sent it to the S&W Performance Center to have the Action Package completed (to keep warranty intact and folks happy).
Haven't had any functional problems with it yet. :cool:

JohnN
02-25-10, 13:44
I've been carrying both the 19 and the full size M&P for a day or two and think the size difference between the two are minimal and not really noticeable when carrying and using the guns.

I would agree if you are carrying at 3:00 or further back but there definitely is if you choose appendix carry. IMHO

dookie1481
02-25-10, 14:40
I would agree if you are carrying at 3:00 or further back but there definitely is if you choose appendix carry. IMHO

I'm pretty much a midget and I carried a FS M&P9 appendix for about 6 months with no problems. In fact, I would say I found it more comfortable than strong side carry.

Jay