PDA

View Full Version : Noveske barrel rifling

Loner
07-11-06, 03:00
I know Noveske's barrels are poly rifling with 1-7 twist, how does a Noveske barrel with conventional rifling with 1-7.5 twist differ from the standard noveske offering? Is there any diff in terms of velocity etc?

C4IGrant
07-11-06, 07:18
I know Noveske's barrels are poly rifling with 1-7 twist, how does a Noveske barrel with conventional rifling with 1-7.5 twist differ from the standard noveske offering? Is there any diff in terms of velocity etc?

I had a special run of Noveske 18" and 16" chrome moly barrels with standard rifling done for me awhile back. They shoot just as good as my Poly Noveske barrels. Some believe that the poly rifling will prolong barrel life or make the weapon more accurate. I do not agree or disagree with this statement.

C4

Hoplophile
07-11-06, 07:21
Does the poly rifling offer any velocity increase?

jmart
07-11-06, 07:24
Wes had some data posted that showed the poly rifled barrels were good for about an inch compared to a conventionally rifled barrel.

C4IGrant
07-11-06, 07:30
Does the poly rifling offer any velocity increase?

In most of the tests I have seen, they do seem to increase velocity. I also have to wonder if doesn't have something to do with the chambering as well.

What would be interesting to me, is to get some chrono data from my Noveske CM standard rifled barrels and see how it compares.

Now where did I put my chronograph? :confused:

C4

Loner
07-11-06, 12:33
Grant that would seem to be a good idea testing the same length noveske barrels but with different riflings to see how it affects velocity. Looking forward to your test results.

Rmplstlskn
07-11-06, 12:37
In most of the tests I have seen, they do seem to increase velocity. I also have to wonder if doesn't have something to do with the chambering as well.

What would be interesting to me, is to get some chrono data from my Noveske CM standard rifled barrels and see how it compares.

C4

It looks like you have been volunteered... :D

Rmpl

Loner
07-11-06, 12:54
It looks like you have been volunteered... :D

Rmpl

:D :D

C4IGrant
07-11-06, 13:00
Did I mention that I don't own a Chrono??? :eek:

C4

jmart
07-11-06, 17:01
Velocity Data Comparison (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=21621&an=0&page=4#21621)

Hoplophile
07-11-06, 18:14
Velocity Data Comparison (http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=21621&an=0&page=4#21621)
Excellent, thanks for the link.

K.L. Davis
07-11-06, 19:01

C4

I have some dope around from the FTE forensic stuff and different types of rifling... there are some comments noted from John N. from when he was still with Pac-Nor, but not a lot of suggestion that the Pac-Nor polygonal rifling does increase velocity -- now the service life data that came from the GT rifled barrels they did was pretty impressive, but I guess the machine went TU some time ago :(

Polygonal may be a bit of a misnomer, in the purest of terms a polygon has sides that are a "line" -- lots of folks think Pac-Nor "poly" barrels have hexagon or octagon shaped bores, but really do not, they have pretty much conventional rifling cut in them... the difference is that the lands and grooves are more hills and valleys, as the traditional "square" edges of the cuts are rounded off. Some folks make this variant with the land leaning over a bit, so that one side of the "hill" is longer than the other, often refered to as canted or rachet rifling. The land to groove ratio of the Pac-Nor poly barrels is closer to 1:1 rather than the common 1.5:1

Some talk around the campfire has it that the idea came about for no reason other than to make it easier to pull the rifling die from a hammer forged barrel... but the use of radiused or polygonal rifling is very popular with those looking for accuracy - the common held ideas are that this type of rifling does not distort the bullet as much and reduces spin drag and imbalanced pressures in flight.

So, the fact is that poly/radiused rifled barrels seem to be a little faster... the reason depends on who you talk to, but it hard to dispute that there is a slight increse in MV -- but a few things to consider are that they probably do get a better gas seal, the rifling is often found in premium barrels that are generally superior quality and have detailed hand finishing, these same barrels often use chamber specs that are more match than batch and the throat and lead have to be cut different due to the extra meat of the design.

Now for me... I think the uber tactical, ultimate in really evil rifle barrels would be a hexahectakaihexacontakaihexagon bore barrel -- but marketing it would be a bitch :p

If you want, I will send you a small field chrono I have so you can use it for a while?

Nitrox
07-11-06, 20:31
Did I mention that I don't own a Chrono??? :eek:

C4

Grant, If you are willing to do the test I will send you a brand new chronny to borrow.

jmart
07-11-06, 22:45
Grant,

All you have to remember is aim for the skyscreens and you'll be OK. Otherwise, make sure you post a pic of the penetrative capabilities of load "X" through intermediate chronograph barriers...... ;)

K.L. Davis
07-11-06, 23:41
Grant,

All you have to remember is aim for the skyscreens and you'll be OK. Otherwise, make sure you post a pic of the penetrative capabilities of load "X" through intermediate chronograph barriers...... ;)

the one I offered to send Grant is pretty much brand new... a friend wanted to borrow one to do ROF testing -- it took three rounds of 9mm from an MP5 right in the front panel :(

So I got a new one out of the deal -- but it certainly is not the first chrono I have seen shot up.

CapnCrunch
07-12-06, 00:33
I'd volunteer to do the testing, but I'm too cheap to buy the barrels to test. That, and I'm in the middle of testing about 5000 other things for folks.

I might look into it in a few months.