PDA

View Full Version : TSA - "Just kidding..."

Irish
01-22-10, 12:04
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20100121_Daniel_Rubin__It_was_no_joke_at_security_gate.html

In the tense new world of air travel, we're stripped of shoes, told not to take too much shampoo on board, frowned on if we crack a smile.

The last thing we expect is a joke from a Transportation Security Administration screener - particularly one this stupid.

Rebecca Solomon is 22 and a student at the University of Michigan, and on Jan. 5 she was flying back to school after holiday break. She made sure she arrived at Philadelphia International Airport 90 minutes before takeoff, given the new regulations.

She would be flying into Detroit on Northwest Airlines, the same city and carrier involved in the attempted bombing on Christmas, just 10 days before. She was tense.

What happened to her lasted only 20 seconds, but she says they were the longest 20 seconds of her life.

After pulling her laptop out of her carry-on bag, sliding the items through the scanning machines, and walking through a detector, she went to collect her things.

A TSA worker was staring at her. He motioned her toward him.

Then he pulled a small, clear plastic bag from her carry-on - the sort of baggie that a pair of earrings might come in. Inside the bag was fine, white powder.

She remembers his words: "Where did you get it?"

Two thoughts came to her in a jumble: A terrorist was using her to sneak bomb-detonating materials on the plane. Or a drug dealer had made her an unwitting mule, planting coke or some other trouble in her bag while she wasn't looking.

She'd left her carry-on by her feet as she handed her license and boarding pass to a security agent at the beginning of the line.

Answer truthfully, the TSA worker informed her, and everything will be OK.

Solomon, 5-foot-3 and traveling alone, looked up at the man in the black shirt and fought back tears.

Put yourself in her place and count out 20 seconds. Her heart pounded. She started to sweat. She panicked at having to explain something she couldn't.

Now picture her expression as the TSA employee started to smile.

Just kidding, he said. He waved the baggie. It was his.

And so she collected her things, stunned, and the tears began to fall.

Another passenger, a woman traveling to Colorado, consoled her as others who had witnessed the confrontation went about their business. Solomon and the woman walked to their gates, where each called for security and reported what had happened.

A joke? You're not serious. Was he hitting on her? Was he flexing his muscle? Who at a time of heightened security and rattled nerves would play so cavalierly with a passenger's emotions?

When someone is trying to blow planes out of the sky, what is a TSA employee doing with his eyes off the ball?

When she complained to airport security, Solomon said, she was told the TSA worker had been training the staff to detect contraband. She was shocked that no one took him off the floor, she said.

"It was such a violation," the Wynnewood native told me by phone. "I'd come early. I'd done everything right. And they were kidding about it."

I ran her story past Ann Davis, regional TSA spokeswoman, who said she knew nothing to contradict the young traveler's account.

Davis said privacy law prevents her from identifying the TSA employee. The law prevents her from disclosing what sort of discipline he might have received.

"The TSA views this employee's behavior to be highly inappropriate and unprofessional," she wrote. "We can assure travelers this employee has been disciplined by TSA management at Philadelphia International Airport, and he has expressed remorse for his actions."

Maybe he's been punished enough. That Solomon's father, Jeffrey, is a Center City litigator might mean this story isn't over.

In the meantime, I think the TSA worker should spend time following passengers through the scanners, handing them their shoes. Maybe he could tie them, too.

Volucris
01-22-10, 12:18
Pretty sure I would have beaten the bastard to death if they pulled that on me. The airline industry has WAY too much power and is turning the term 'terrorist' into the same one 'witch' was many years ago.

rjacobs
01-22-10, 12:22
The airline industry has WAY too much power and is turning the term 'terrorist' into the same one 'witch' was many years ago.

Please dont lump the Too Stupid for Arby's jack ass's in with the airline industry. Even we dont want them and find them only to be a nuisance and a dog and pony show.

Irish
01-22-10, 12:28
Wonder what would happen if Joe Citizen was "just kidding"? Lock the d-bag up.

woodandsteel
01-22-10, 12:29
"The TSA views this employee's behavior to be highly inappropriate and unprofessional," she wrote. "We can assure travelers this employee has been disciplined by TSA management at Philadelphia International Airport, and he has expressed remorse for his actions."

That's why the TSA shouldn't have been given civil service protection. Someone who "kids" around like that should be fired, not counseled.

Business_Casual
01-22-10, 12:32
I've never understood why all the taxpayers in this country have to provide security for privately-owned aircraft. If I were setting precedent back in the day, I wouldn't have granted liability immunity to the airlines. If they never had the chance to rely soley on airport security maybe they would have developed adequate on-board measures. Just another example of unintended consequences of government intervention.

Seriously, WTF.

M_P

HiggsBoson
01-22-10, 13:06
If an average citizen pulls that crap at an airport, they'd get the full body cavity search and jail time. I think it's only rational and fair that this guy get the same treatment.

ThirdWatcher
01-22-10, 15:45
Anyone that would pull that kinda crap on one of the sheep has no business pretending to be a sheepdog.

the Bamster
01-22-10, 16:41
The best security $8.00 an hr. can buy. Someone should shove an oz. of weed under the seat in that piece of s**ts car and call the cops.

rjacobs
01-22-10, 17:15
I've never understood why all the taxpayers in this country have to provide security for privately-owned aircraft. If I were setting precedent back in the day, I wouldn't have granted liability immunity to the airlines. If they never had the chance to rely soley on airport security maybe they would have developed adequate on-board measures. Just another example of unintended consequences of government intervention.

Seriously, WTF.

M_P

Well technically the airlines do pay for the TSA through the security fees added onto tickets, however in the end the tax payers are paying the bill through buying tickets. It is actually very difficult for the airlines/airports to have their own security and it costs at least as much as the TSA. The only airport in the country that I know of that does not use the TSA is Kansas City Intl. and their people are just as incompetent as the TSA because they have to abide by the TSA rules. Its cheaper for the airlines/airports to use the TSA vs. having their own security, which has to abide by TSA rules and procedures anyway.

The best security $8.00 an hr. can buy. Someone should shove an oz. of weed under the seat in that piece of s**ts car and call the cops.

Chances are that guy already has an oz of pot in his car anyway.

SeriousStudent
01-22-10, 17:49
And all this time I thought jokes at security checkpoints were illegal?

Lock his stupid azz up.

Armati
01-22-10, 18:24
Typical. When petty people are given petty power.

glocktogo
01-23-10, 14:52
Solomon, 5-foot-3 and traveling alone, looked up at the man in the black shirt and fought back tears.

TSA screeners don't wear black shirts. There are two sides to every story. I'd like to hear the other side before condemning an entire workforce.

"If" the TSA agent did this, he should be fired. TSA doesn't tolerate jokes about bombs by passengers, to make a "joke" like this on a passenger would be inexcusable.

Armati
01-23-10, 20:10
TSA screeners don't wear black shirts. There are two sides to every story. I'd like to hear the other side before condemning an entire workforce.

Ok, fair enough.

I will condemn the entire TSA work force for the other dumb stuff they do and their overall mall security demeanor.

a1fabweld
01-23-10, 20:22
Here's another TSA joke. I am a contractor that works at my local int'l airport often. They have a security booth @ the entrance gate to the runway area. EVERY time I go through it, I get a different guard with a different requirement. Sometimes they say I have to have company stickers on my truck. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they search through every toolbox on my truck. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they look in my truck. Most of the time they don't. One time they had a crew of agents at the gate who searched every inch of my truck but never opened the hood. They asked me to pull the front of my pants waistband down to check my pelvic area when they searched my person (I asked the guy if he wanted me to whip out my c*ck. LOL!. He didn't think that was funny). They are very inconsistent. From my experience, not that I ever have or ever would, it would be easy to smuggle "stuff" onto the runway. TSA is a joke.

CarlosDJackal
01-23-10, 22:30
Had I witnessed that while working the LE Checkpoint Security, I probably would have put my baton to that idiot's head right on the spot!!

Something about this story does not make sense. I seem to remember all the TSA workers wear white shirts with a gold badge and shoulder boards. :confused:

Irish
01-23-10, 22:50
Double double.

Irish
01-23-10, 22:53
Something about this story does not make sense. I seem to remember all the TSA workers wear white shirts with a gold badge and shoulder boards. :confused:

TSA wears blue shirts as well. Another article http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/No-Joke-TSA-Uses-Gag-Drugs-at-Security-Gate-82389097.html

A TSA worker pulled a small plastic baggie full of white powder out of Rebecca Solomon’s carry-on bag. After 20 seconds of the young woman’s panic, sweating, and disbelief, the security guard said: Just kidding!

The practical joke on the 22-year-old Wynnewood native by a Transportation Security Administration screener occurred in the Philadelphia International Airport Jan. 5 on her way back to school, reports Inquirer columnist Daniel Rubin.

Solomon didn’t think it was funny.

The University of Michigan student was on her way to Detroit on Northwest Airlines, the same airline and destination for the terrorist who attempted to blow up a plane only 10 days before.

Drubi21. This is Rebecca Solomon, the girl who... According to Rubin, Solomon stood in the security line, removed her laptop from her carry-on, put all of her belongings on the conveyor belt to be scanned, and then walked through the detector. On the other side was the TSA worker who pulled the small powder filled bag from her carry-on and said, “Where did you get this?”

Going through a range of emotions, from fear that someone had made her a drug or bomb mule, to shock when the security official said it was a joke and the baggie was his, Solomon called security and reported the incident.

"It was such a violation," the Wynnewood native told Rubin. "I'd come early. I'd done everything right. And they were kidding about it."

Security told Solomon that the worker had been training staff in contraband detection that day, to explain why he had a baggie of white powder.

According to TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis, the employee is no longer employed by the TSA.

SeriousStudent
01-24-10, 00:19
According to TSA spokeswoman Ann Davis, the employee is no longer employed by the TSA.

Excellent.

</MontyBurns>