PDA

View Full Version : ? re Newer SIG pistols

1oldgrunt
01-23-10, 10:42
I know there have been previous posts but I never bothered really as I don't own any SIGS. Well after shooting one a buinch I've decide maybe so.

I have the option to buy an all German 228 ...what would be a fair price for one NIB?

Keeping it short what are the real problems with the newer Sigs? I know everybody says quality control....but is there one problem, more than one? MIM parts ??

Just a brief answer would be appreciated.

Also if I wanted to get a 226 what should I look for, any new one OK ( ie 226 Navy model), or look for an older one? Is frame made in Germany OK or should I look for an all German ?

My thanks in advance.

The_Biased_Observer
01-23-10, 11:12
Sigs are overpriced generally, a fair price would be $600 for a NIB model but those days are gone.

QC problems seems to be model specific, for instance the 220 has had issues with extractors, slide stops, magazines, etc. The 250 has had extraction problems.

I have not hear of any problems with the 226, other than the occasional safe queenie bitching about Nitron application on the bottom of the slide.

It is clear to me that the problems began increasing in frequency when they began US fabrication of the pistols, if I were to buy one today I would certainly insist on an all German model, nothing with made in Exeter on it. The German 228 should be about $800 or so.

Get a few spare parts for the gun and you should be fine. (slide pins, trigger return spring, etc).

Marcus L.
01-23-10, 11:24
Every company goes through cycles of bugs and fixes. Sig Sauer has done some vendor changes since 2005, but as problems have presented themselves, Sig has corrected the problems. An example would be their decision to make pistol frames in the USA(cheaper). That turned out to be a mistake, so Sig went back to making the frames in Germany.

The only real issue I've encountered in some later model Sigs is cosmetic in nature. For instance, some of the newer P229 grips have not fit quite as well as they could on pistols and the Siglight night sites are rust prone. However, the materials and quality controls on the frames, slides, and other functional components is quite good and reliable. My most recent Sig purchase was a 2008 P229 in .40S&W. I've put about 30k rounds through it, and did a 3k round endurance test with it. Nothing broke, I didn't have a single malfunction, and the pistol shows very little wear. My duty 2004 P229(which was part of the DHS contract) has fewer rounds through it and it actually shows more wear than the 2008 model and the 2004 model was "supposed" to be the superior manufacturing year........according to internet rumor.

Personally, I don't really like the older W. German Sigs. The triggers are not as smooth and consistant as the newer Sigs, and the carbon slides rust very easily. I think you should buy yourself a newly manufactured Sig. All newer Sigs have the date of manufacture on the blue box it comes in. I see no reason to buy anything other than the regular Sig P226(with night sights if you want). The other models don't really justify the increase in price.