PDA

View Full Version : ETA on P30 in LEM v4?

calvin118
01-23-10, 11:34
I understand that newer LEM p30's are supposed to switch to the v4 option. I was wondering if anyone knew when they might arrive?

ToddG
01-23-10, 14:27
My understanding is that the next shipment from HK GmbH will be V4. In theory.

YVK
01-23-10, 16:48
Todd, do you know if P30S will be available with LEM trigger, or with DA/SA V3 configuration only?

ToddG
01-24-10, 07:54
Last I knew, there were plans to bring the following into the US this year:

P30 V3
P30 V2/V4

P30S V3
P30S V4 (possibly V2 instead?)

P30L V3
P30LS V3

All variants to be available in both 9x19mm and .40 S&W.

YVK
01-24-10, 10:38
Thanks, Todd. If what you wrote about safety ergos on your website (conducive to keeping strong side thumb on top of it) holds true for most shooters, I see little downside to P30S LEM vs. regular P30. I hope there is enough interest in all these models to make it worthwhile for HK to bring such variety to US market.

calvin118
01-30-10, 23:57
I planned to get a p30 LEM v4, but now I see that a DA/SA version with a frame mounted safety is coming soon as well.

Although I have handled LEM models in gun shops, I have never fired one live. I understand from other posts that the major advantage of the LEM is a longer first pull (for safety) that retains the lower weight of subsequent pulls.

If one was used to and comfortable with frame mounted safeties, would there be any advantage to the LEM when compared with condition 1 single action? Particularly, would the reset be shorter or faster?

I am interested in a p30 because I have been shooting a friend's gun that was sent away to H&K for a DA/SA trigger job. I think it would be perfect for me if it wasn't for the (still) long reset and DA first pull.

ToddG
02-01-10, 18:35
calvin -- I haven't measured it with tools, but to my LEM-attuned trigger finger I did not notice any shorter reset with the P30S (V3 "DA/SA"). If you want the same forcefulness of reset as the V4, you'd need to put the heavier (LEM) trigger spring in the P30S V3, though.

The safety lever on the P30S is also surprisingly ergonomic given that it was an afterthought.

I'd say it's really a matter of personal taste. Functionally the two will shoot equally well for you.

Kafir
02-01-10, 20:43
Last I knew, there were plans to bring the following into the US this year:
P30L V3
P30LS V3

No plans that you have heard for a LEM P30L in 9mm? :(

ToddG
02-01-10, 21:00
Last I knew, HK-USA was not going to import any LEM "L" models.

VA_Dinger
02-01-10, 21:59
That P30S is very tempting. A “Locked and Cocked” manual safety single action P30 sounds very appealing to me. Does the safety on the P30S still have the decock function like the Hk45?

ToddG
02-01-10, 22:18
Dinger -- negative. The decocker on the P30S is in the same place as other V3 P2000/P30 pistols (rear of the slide next to the hammer). So the only thing the safety lever does is lock the action.

YVK
02-01-10, 23:41
Dinger -- negative. The decocker on the P30S is in the same place as other V3 P2000/P30 pistols (rear of the slide next to the hammer). So the only thing the safety lever does is lock the action.

It's a good thing, no? I've heard of some folks complaining of accidental decocking while firing DA/SA HK45; shouldn't be an issue with P30S, then?

On a separate note, what's the track record of carrying HK cocked and locked safety-wise? I get a perception that it is not a common choice, simply because I don't see too many folks state that they do so. I carry 1911 regularly and have no issues with it, but 1911 does have a long track record, ability to adjust thumb safety for very positive engagement/disengagement, as well as redundancy in mechanical safeties department.

shittercrewchief
02-02-10, 00:10
On a separate note, what's the track record of carrying HK cocked and locked safety-wise? I get a perception that it is not a common choice, simply because I don't see too many folks state that they do so. I carry 1911 regularly and have no issues with it, but 1911 does have a long track record, ability to adjust thumb safety for very positive engagement/disengagement, as well as redundancy in mechanical safeties department.

I carry my HK45 Hammer back safety on everyday. No Problems if thats what you mean.

sigmundsauer
02-02-10, 07:22
A little bit of thread drift here, but....

I'm seeing pics of the newly imported P30's using slide releases akin to the HK45 and P2000 series. Sadly the subtle modification of the P30's thumb lever made all the difference in the world for me over the P2000, which I routinely inadvertently hold down. This change alone will probably keep me from buying one. :(

Tim

ToddG
02-02-10, 08:33
It's a good thing, no? I've heard of some folks complaining of accidental decocking while firing DA/SA HK45; shouldn't be an issue with P30S, then?

Correct. Personally, I much prefer the P2000/P30 system. The decocker position took a little getting used to but quickly showed its superiority over the 3-position lever on the USP/HK45 guns, at least for me.

On a separate note, what's the track record of carrying HK cocked and locked safety-wise?

I'm unaware of any issues or any reason to suspect issues. The safety lever is ergonomic and has a fairly positive "clickiness" to it. The guns also have other internal safety mechanisms to prevent mishap should the manual safety fail and the gun gets dropped, struck on the hammer, etc.

I'm seeing pics of the newly imported P30's using slide releases akin to the HK45 and P2000 series. Sadly the subtle modification of the P30's thumb lever made all the difference in the world for me over the P2000, which I routinely inadvertently hold down. This change alone will probably keep me from buying one. :(

The P30S models (only) use a shorter slide release because the safety lever exists in the space that was once occupied by the tip of the standard P30 lever. To the best of my knowledge, non-S models will continue to come with the standard slide release lever.

Kafir
02-02-10, 11:37
Last I knew, HK-USA was not going to import any LEM "L" models.

Thanks Todd. I'm not misreading HK's info...the LEM L models are available outside the US, correct? They are just not going to import them at this time?

Might be an odd follow up question...but can an L V3 be converted to LEM? What would happen to the decocking button?

ToddG
02-02-10, 12:44
While I think the P30L LEM might technically exist in a catalog or computer, to the best of my knowledge none have ever been built.

If you take a V3 gun and convert it to LEM but retain the decocker, you've got what Germany calls a Variant Zero gun.

VA_Dinger
02-02-10, 17:51

Awesome, that's even better.

Thanks

HK45
02-10-10, 14:17
I'm just annoyed that I still have not seen any factory LEM HK45's...I'll pick up a LEM P30 when I can find one. If anyone knows where I can get one let me know. I don't want a thumb safety though.