PDA

View Full Version : Any SIG C3 or RCS owners?

HeavyDuty
01-23-10, 15:11
I'm thinking about rationalizing my handguns - spin off a few that don't get love or carry and replace them with a very few new ones. I don't carry a lot (generally only when I visit Indiana 4-5 times per year) but I do occasionally enjoy IDPA competition.

For background, my current main carry is a M&P40c. To be honest, I'd like to delete this chambering from my inventory in favor of 9mm and 45. What I'm considering is swapping out the 40c for a 9c with thumb safety. For a 45 carry I'm currently using a G36. Since I picked up the M&P a few years ago I've become increasingly unhappy with the G36 ergonomics to the point that it's become a safe queen. This may go away and be replaced with an M&P45c with thumb safety.

I'm still a big fan of the 1911 platform. I don't currently have a compact 1911 and have been looking at what few 4" guns are out there with an alloy Officer's size frame. The SIGs keep bubbling to the top of my short list.

Does anyone here have a SIG C3 or RCS that can comment about them? I know the SIG 1911s got off to a rocky start, but has that been worked out?

HeavyDuty
01-26-10, 19:40
No one, huh?

wes007
01-27-10, 15:52
Your decision should come down to what you shoot best vs what looks cool/caliber/ergonomics etc.
If you go into the training section there is a Shooting Incident AAR in which the user of a 1911 was shot in the arms in such a way that allowed him to continue to use his platform in the fight but had he been hit anywhere else in the arms it might have been a different story. Anyways there is a great discussion about the use of the 1911 platform as a ccw. The discussion brings up alot of points you might want to consider.
I also wouldnt become nit picky about the safety mechanisms on guns such as the m&p.

HeavyDuty
01-28-10, 07:55
So, do you have any experience with the SIG? I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of various types of handguns, I'm looking for first-hand experience with these SIGs in light of early quality issues from a few years back.

And I don't consider preferring a positive thumb safety on any weapon to be a "nit pick".

Kchen986
01-28-10, 14:21
I picked up one of the early versions I think (Summer 08' my gunshop just received a lot of Sig 1911s).

It was extremely accurate, shot point of aim really easily, trigger was crisp, and the slim grips made concealing/holding the gun very easy.

Unfortunately my Sig RCS 1911 had failures to feed in the beginning and I had to send it in to Sig for them to fix (It was a faulty extractor). Now it runs perfectly, no jams, runs great. Good carry piece.

About 5k rounds later, the gun has loosened up significantly, there's a decent amount of wobble between the slide and the frame. The slide to frame fit should have been better and not loosened up.

I still carry it and trust my life to it. I shot it about a month ago at 25 yards and made a quarter sized three shot group with it.

Pros:
Accurate
Melt treatment
Easy to aim
Easy to carry (although honestly, a Walther PPS is probably more concealable)
Good trigger

Cons:
Early version had failures to feed.
Slide loosened up significantly.

http://xd7.xanga.com/c63f1a6076630232299170/m183223287.jpg

HeavyDuty
01-28-10, 20:28
Thanks for relating your experience!