PDA

View Full Version : SBR reversal to PISTOL

hellraiser724
01-23-10, 15:13
Do you have to pay $200 to have the stamp removed, also how long does it usually take the ATF to do the reversal process?

Please only reply if you know the exact answer and not "well I think"

Thank you!

Matt

Iraqgunz
01-23-10, 18:38
Any lower that was purchased stripped can be used to build a pistol. Taking one that is in the NFA registry isn't very smart or cost effective.

Do you have to pay $200 to have the stamp removed, also how long does it usually take the ATF to do the reversal process?

Please only reply if you know the exact answer and not "well I think"

Thank you!

Matt

Robb Jensen
01-23-10, 18:42
Yes you can have a NFA firearm removed from the registry (I don't know why one would do that but each to his own). Iraqguns is right. If you receive an AR receiver as a receiver on a 4473 you can build it as a pistol or rifle. The 4473 has boxes for handguns, long guns and other (receivers are other since they aren't handguns or long guns). Things that also fit in 'other' are silencers, AOWs, MGs and DDs.

hellraiser724
01-23-10, 19:37
I'm buying a Sig 556. It is currently a SBR. APRRX wait time til I get my hands on it is 8 months from my CL3 as a SBR.

My CL 3 also charges $150 to hold it, plus the Government dips their hand in at $100/$200 tax.

To convert it back to a pistol, I'm wondering the cost and wait time. WHY do I want it converted back? Because as a pistol he can ship it to my FFL and I only have to wait 48 hours rather than 8 months.

QuietShootr
01-23-10, 20:21
I'm buying a Sig 556. It is currently a SBR. APRRX wait time til I get my hands on it is 8 months from my CL3 as a SBR.

My CL 3 also charges $150 to hold it, plus the Government dips their hand in at $100/$200 tax.

To convert it back to a pistol, I'm wondering the cost and wait time. WHY do I want it converted back? Because as a pistol he can ship it to my FFL and I only have to wait 48 hours rather than 8 months.

That sounds like a trainload of ****ery for no good reason. Why not just buy a SIG 556 pistol LOCALLY that isn't already an SBR and do what you want with it when you get it? And a $150 surcharge to "hold it"? Find another FFL.

hellraiser724
01-23-10, 21:49
I'll try to say this as nice as possible:

1) I don't have the option of another CL3.

2) I fought in Iraq with this guy's kid, so he said he'd pay to have the tax reversed if needed to.

3) Sig's $300 rebate doesn't cover their 556 pistols, so unless they change that it's NOT cheaper to buy new....

QuietShootr
01-23-10, 22:09
No, what I'm getting at is, I don't see why you would go through all that to get a 556 SBR when you're just going to turn it into a pistol? Or is he giving it to you for nearly free?

To answer your original question: The registered owner has simply to write a letter to the NFA Branch requesting that the item be removed from the NFRTR and certifying that it has been taken out of a configuration that would cause it to be regulated. It will probably take a month, and doesn't cost anything.

perna
01-25-10, 04:06
Uhm the MSRP on the rifle is $2,099, MSRP on the pistol is $1,825. The price difference is only $25 with the rebate. Just buy the pistol for $25 more and you do not have to worry about it.

But really it seems like you are trying to buy a SBR without buying the stamp. Plus if you really went to war with the guy's kid and he is going to charge you $150 to hold a rifle you are buying he must not think much of you.

QuietShootr
01-25-10, 05:58
Uhm the MSRP on the rifle is $2,099, MSRP on the pistol is $1,825. The price difference is only $25 with the rebate. Just buy the pistol for $25 more and you do not have to worry about it.

But really it seems like you are trying to buy a SBR without buying the stamp. Plus if you really went to war with the guy's kid and he is going to charge you $150 to hold a rifle you are buying he must not think much of you.

Kind of what I was thinking too.

SHIVAN
01-25-10, 13:15
Talked with the guys at the NFA today just to confirm, and they indicated that it would be no problem for the person who created the SBR via Form 1 to send a letter indicating that they no longer wished the SBR to be on the registry, and what the disposition of the conversion parts were.

In the case of the SIG556 back to P556, you'll need to indicate specifically how the receiver extension and stock were sold, disposed of, or used to complete a different rifle. If sold, you need to indicate to whom they were sold, etc. If disposed, method of disposal.

It is not a transfer tax at all, but you must receive the confirmation letter back from the NFA before changing the configuration back and doing any transfers at all.

hellraiser724
01-26-10, 10:33
[QUOTE
But really it seems like you are trying to buy a SBR without buying the stamp. Plus if you really went to war with the guy's kid and he is going to charge you $150 to hold a rifle you are buying he must not think much of you.[/QUOTE]

1) I'm not trying to buy a SBR without the stamp.

2) He's not my CL3, he's the guy who I am buying from, so he has NO PULL on how much my CL3 costs.

3) I don't think to highly of you either with your half knowledgeable posts, and responding without knowing all of the information.

It's all taken care of and the 556P is in my possession for $750.. Buds gun shop they are $1550.

Thread can be closed now. Thanks to all of those with "helpful" information.

Jmacken37
01-28-10, 11:22
Hellraiser,

I don't want to stir the pot, but I believe the ATF's position is that a receiver that has had a stock at any point installed can't go back to being a pistol. The only exception seems to be for 'hosts' used for machine gun sears or trigger packs. That being said, the ATF seem very confusing and inconsistent in the application of their rules and their interpretation of federal/state law.

Shivan,

Did you mention to ATF during your discussion that Hellraiser is wanting to swap from a SBR to a pistol? Most of the time when being removed from the registry, SBR's are converted to regular 'rifles' not pistols.

The recent interpretation of 922r applying to SBR's has really made for some confusion in the HK clone market. It would seem that the ATF now consider many clone SBR's to be in violation of 922r and the Form 1 paper trail makes it pretty easy to identify the 'manufacturer'.

Jake

SHIVAN
01-28-10, 13:07
Hellraiser,

I don't want to stir the pot, but I believe the ATF's position is that a receiver that has had a stock at any point installed can't go back to being a pistol. The only exception seems to be for 'hosts' used for machine gun sears or trigger packs. That being said, the ATF seem very confusing and inconsistent in the application of their rules and their interpretation of federal/state law.

Shivan,

Did you mention to ATF during your discussion that Hellraiser is wanting to swap from a SBR to a pistol? Most of the time when being removed from the registry, SBR's are converted to regular 'rifles' not pistols.

The recent interpretation of 922r applying to SBR's has really made for some confusion in the HK clone market. It would seem that the ATF now consider many clone SBR's to be in violation of 922r and the Form 1 paper trail makes it pretty easy to identify the 'manufacturer'.

Jake

Jake:

I mentioned the exact scenario in that it started as a pistol, was converted via a Form 1 to SBR, and the final disposition was a reversion back to a pistol.

He stated that there was some discussion on this internally at NFA, but as of our conversation, it was allowable.

Thanks,

Ed