PDA

View Full Version : TN - 17 year old burglar killed in robbery.

Irish
01-23-10, 16:37
http://www.greenevillesun.com/story/307737

A 17-year-old youth was fatally shot during an apparent burglary of a Houston Valley Road mobile home shortly before 11 p.m. Thursday.

Sheriff Steve Burns identified the youth as Michael E.A. Banner, 17, of Wykle Road.

Greene County sheriff's deputies were notified of the incident at 10:55 p.m. and subsequently were told by Alan Burch, 53, who resides in a mobile home at 2235 Houston Valley Road, that he had been awakened by the sound of someone kicking open the door of his residence, Sheriff Burns said.

Burch told officers that he fired shots toward the entrance to the mobile home and subsequently found that at least one of the shots had struck a youth later identified as Banner.

Sheriff Burns said three other suspects were believed to have fled the shooting scene and were still being sought this morning.

"We believe we know their identities, and it's just a matter of time before we find them," Burns said.

MOTIVE NOT KNOWN

A report filed by Deputy Sheriff Kevin Guinn said he responded to a report that person had been shot at 2235 Houston Valley Road and found a youth (later identified as Banner) lying on the porch suffering from a gunshot wound.

The report said the resident of the mobile home told deputies that three people had broken into his home and that he had fired "three to four" shots after being placed in fear of his life.

The report also estimated cost of repairing damage to the mobile home's door at about $75.

Asked about a motive for the apparent attempted burglary, Sheriff Burns said he didn't want to speculate.

Although the sheriff declined to suggest any motive for the Houston Valley incident on Thursday night, he noted that "most of all the burglaries we have today are drug-related."

PRESCRIPTION DRUG PROBLEM

Burns said he believes most burglaries that are being committed today are being carried out by individuals who are addicted to prescription pain-killing medications.

The burglars, he said, are either seeking prescription medications or items that can be sold or traded for prescription pain-killing medications.

The sheriff said he has recently spoken to state Rep. David Hawk, R-5th, of Greeneville, about the possibility of introducing legislation that would further restrict access to addictive prescription pain-killing drugs.

"Everybody in Greene County can't have a back problem," the sheriff said.

He noted that the prescription pain-killing drugs abuse problem here is being made worse by the ease with which local residents can obtain prescriptions for the addictive drugs at "pain clinics" in Florida where laws concerning such medication are weaker.

Burns said some local residents travel to Florida, obtain prescriptions for pain-killing drugs, then return to Greene County to sell the drugs on the street.

geminidglocker
01-23-10, 16:40
Well, it looks like the Burgler got his PAIN KILLER!:D
That'll teach him to Burgle.

bulbvivid
01-23-10, 17:41
I don't think I could just shoot through a door without knowing what's behind it. It's good the victim wasn't harmed but still sad and unfortunate that a kid was killed for something so stupid.

This occurred in my neck of the woods. We have a massive prescription drug problem around here. Mostly Oxycontin or Oxycodone. Lots of folks traveling to Florida and northern Virginia to procure said pills and distribute them here. People are getting arrested left and right, but they still flow in. A lot of the crime we see outside of domestic violence relates to addicts funding their addictions.

They either need to give these things away and let the dumbasses sit and drool in a room, or go after the pushers at the top and stop the reckless distribution of these drugs.

Irish
01-23-10, 17:49
I don't think I could just shoot through a door without knowing what's behind it.

From this report it sounds like they had been succesful in kicking open the door so at that point in time target recognition and squeeze. I also believe he did know what was behind the door even if it wasn't open, a threat to his safety. If someone's trying to kick in my door they are a threat and they're going to be met with deadly force.

bulbvivid
01-23-10, 19:06
From this report it sounds like they had been succesful in kicking open the door so at that point in time target recognition and squeeze. I also believe he did know what was behind the door even if it wasn't open, a threat to his safety. If someone's trying to kick in my door they are a threat and they're going to be met with deadly force.

It's just ingrained in my head not to pull the trigger unless you're sure of your target, which is a good general guideline, I guess. I can see where there's situations that would require other methods.

I'm not sure how I would respond in such a situation. If I were reasonably assured that someone was coming to do me harm, I'd likely shoot through the door.

bulbvivid
01-23-10, 19:15
When I read the initial report I was mistakenly under the impression that the burglars were in the process of kicking the door down, not already through it.

One shot fired, hit the deceased in the chest.

Sheriff Steve Burns identified the owner of the home on Houston Valley Road as Alan Burch. At this point, Burns said Burch’s account of what happened matches the sheriff’s department’s investigation. Burns said that 17 year-old Michael Edward Aldridge Banner, and at least three others kicked open the front door of Burch’s trailer. Burch fired one shot, which hit Banner in the chest, and killed him on the spot. The others fled the scene in what was described as a four-door gold Kia. Burch has not been charged for the shooting.
“Certainly we’re still conducting an investigation,“ said Sheriff Burns, “but I believe people have the right to defend their home.“
So far, Sheriff Burns has not determined a motive for the initial break-in. He says one possibility is that the suspects were looking to steal prescription drugs.
After speaking with Banner’s friends at the hospital overnight, the sheriff’s department does have leads on others who may have been involved with the break-in, but they have not found the suspects. If anyone has any information about what may have gone on, or where these suspects may be, contact the Greene County Sheriff’s Department, at 423-798-1800.
Update at 9:27 a.m.
Sheriff Steve Burns told 11 Connects reporter Dana Wachter that the deceased is Michael Edward Aldridge Banner, age 17. Burns and officers are looking for three adults in the getaway car described as a 4-door gold Kia.
Update at 7:55 a.m.:
11 Connects reporter Dana Wachter is in Greene County. She just found out that Sheriff Burns and deputies are actively searching for three suspects who were at the home at the time of the shooting and got away in a car.
——————————————————-
Here’s the first report:
A homeowner shot and killed a 17 year-old boy last night during an attempted home break-in in Greene County, according to a local radio station news report.
WGRV radio interviewed Greene County Sheriff Steve Burns early Friday morning. Burns said the teen was part of a group that tried to break into a home at 2235 Houston Valley Road in southern Greene County just before 11 p.m. Thursday.
WGRV news director Marty Ricker said that, according to Sheriff Burns, a search is underway for other suspects who tried to break into the home and fled when the shooting happened.
The name of the person killed has not been released.
Sheriff Burns told WGRV radio he planned to release more information later Friday morning.

From: Tricities.com (http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/teen_dead_after_attempted_home_break-in/39870/#comments)

bulbvivid
01-25-10, 14:55
Here's a little more information about this incident, including video with the homeowner. From what I can gather, the guys were already in the trailer and were fleeing out the door when the homeowner fired.

This was the third burglary for the homeowner. To beat it all, someone stole a stereo out of his daughter's car over the weekend after the incident.

GREENE CO., Tenn.—Greene County deputies made two arrests over the weekend. Joshua Martin and James McMahan were charged with aggravated burglary. The two men fled the scene of a home invasion on Houston Valley Road in southern Greene County, late Thursday night.
The homeowner, Alan Burch, heard the noise of the break-in. He shot the last of the intruders in the chest, which killed the seventeen year old, Michael Edward Aldridge Banner. Burch says he feared for his life, but feels awful that he killed a teenager. Sheriff Steve Burns told 11 connects that people have the right to protect themselves, and at this point, there are no charges filed against Burch.
“I come out of my bedroom, I was about at the refrigerator door, and I told them to stop, they didn’t stop, so I shot,“ said Alan Burch. “And that one, that seventeen year old, I killed him. If I’d known that boy’d been seventeen, I wouldn’t've shot.“
Burch says this was the third break-in at his home in the past year. This weekend, after the Thursday night incident, a stereo system was stolen from his daughter’s car. Burch says he’s nervous to leave his home, but he’s nervous to stay, not knowing what he can expect now. A cousin plans to come stay with him soon.

Tricities.com (http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/homeowner_shot_17_year-old_intruder_becuase_he_feared_for_his_life/40107/)

bkb0000
01-25-10, 15:33
Tricities.com (http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/homeowner_shot_17_year-old_intruder_becuase_he_feared_for_his_life/40107/)

wholly shit... time to move.

BiggLee71
01-25-10, 15:59
Irish, where the heck are you coming across all this good news from!!!!! LOL, great stuff dude!! These are stories of regular citizens being put into extra-ordinary circumstances by vicious predators and emerging out of the situation victorious. Classic good triumphs over evil. These are the stories that should be on the mainstream media every night instead of all the retards with illegal guns killing each other which is then usually followed up with a negative commentary by the anchorperson lecturing all of us on how bad firearms are for society.:rolleyes:

Irish
01-25-10, 16:08
Irish, where the heck are you coming across all this good news from!!!!! LOL, great stuff dude!! These are stories of regular citizens being put into extra-ordinary circumstances by vicious predators and emerging out of the situation victorious. Classic good triumphs over evil. These are the stories that should be on the mainstream media every night instead of all the retards with illegal guns killing each other which is then usually followed up with a negative commentary by the anchorperson lecturing all of us on how bad firearms are for society.:rolleyes:

I'm a 2nd Amendment advocate detective ;)

bkb0000
01-25-10, 16:33
I'm a 2nd Amendment advocate detective ;)

keep up the good work. its been motivational.

Spiffums
01-25-10, 21:43
wholly shit... time to move.

That stuff goes on in trailer parks. Not a lot of good decent people in those anymore.